logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rickthenewb  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 8:04:19 PM(UTC)
rickthenewb

Groups: Registered

Hi, I am very interested in purchasing 2 of your 5-6 gallon fermenting buckets with the submersible heater but I cant figure out or see from the description how they are actually installed. Does the lid come with a pre drilled hole and grommet. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:15:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This question should be directed to Brewhaus, as it is specific to products for sale. In answer to your question, you will need to adapt the fermenter or lid to accommodate the heater, as it is an add-on item. If all of our fermenters were set up to take the FermHeater then those not using one would need to adapt the fermenter for normal use.
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:30:06 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Well, that certainly answers my question. I just bought three of these things. It would be really helpful if the specs for the heater power line was listed and you send a grommet along with it for adaptation.

It is a bit misleading to advertise a fermenter/heater combo that isn't ready to use, that requires some customization before it can be used. I have been doing this hobby a while and it's no challenge to me to figure stuff out, but a novice might destroy two or three ferm lids before getting it right. I just happen to have a few older BHaus fermenter buckets that the lids leak from multiple uses and are perfect for R&D. But believe me when I tell you, I wiped out several Home Depot bucket lids learning how to drill that soft plastic w/o causing cracks.... And the Ferm lids plastic is a bit more brittle.....Crying

When I get my Fermheater installs sorted out, I'll post how to get it done w/Pix and all.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:37:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: beeter speelin' due to the Elevin Wood Sped readin' curse

Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:36:59 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Ok, thanks to how close I am to Bewhaus, I usually get my shipments two days after I order and this time was no different. But boy, lemme tell ya, "Houston, we have a problem"..

The heater has to be fully submerged to activate and work. Ok, fine, but there is absolutely no way to "unplug" the heater from it's set switch to allow a fellow to pass thru the fermenter lid - One would have to cut a hole one inch square - No Bueno...

The only option I see is to sever the power line and install a plug arrangement (if that's even possible) so that I can feed it thru a grommet and get a good seal. otherwise, it will be mated to the fermenter lid if I just hillbilled it (Sever power wire, pass thru lid and solder back together and tape over). I do not know if that will render it worthless, so I am trying to do some searches to find out before I trash this unit....

Film @ 11

Edited by user Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:53:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Font too small for even me to read...

Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:35:04 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Here is what I am testing this weekend

1. I went and got some trash cans (35 Gal size) from Wally World, one thick plastic and one galvanized metal, like the kind we've had forever. One could also cut a 55 gal plastic barrel in half, but this way is a bit more accurate...

2. Set a Fermenter in each of the cans - Add water in the Fermenters, to 5 gals, put the lid on and seal

3. Now, Add water to trash cans - level up to bottom of top border on Fermenter This will (should) leave about 3" of the fermenter vessel above water in the trash can, yet deep enough for the heater

4. Strap heater to side of trash can, submerged

Test to see how long it takes to warm it up. I got the idea from reading on beer forums and guys using a jacketed fermenter and warm water bath to hold temps.

While it will just be water, it will be a good experiment and I like the fact I don't have to alter power cords.

I'll report back, Folks

Edited by user Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:41:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: I k'in n'er speel write

Offline dieselduo  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 7:44:44 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
that's a great idea RC ! can't wait to hear how it works