logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Whaler Dan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2015 6:27:06 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Groups: Registered

Probably directed to admin BUT if someone else out there has an answer I'm all ears. Since there are no markings on the boiler and every wash is a little different..... What is the max volume I can load the boiler to. The transition from straight to taper? The handles? 3 " below the top? I've never measured to see where 15.5 gal comes to but I don't know if THATS too much either. I've been running double ferments in 25 liter buckets and then added my feints to a run and it ran the volume up to about 2 " below the top. Seemed to me to be too full unless I run the heat real slow on start up to avoid boil over. Haven't started it yet. Was looking for any advise before messing up.
Thanks guys.
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 10:37:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You can fill the 15 gallon kettle to approximately 12 gallons. I do no recall exactly where that is physically on the kettle, but can check when I get back to the warehouse if you need.
Offline Whaler Dan  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 11:09:19 AM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

When you get the chance that would be great. No rush. But it would probably be a good piece of info to have. I filled it to about half way between the handles and th transition from straight to taper and just brought the heat up slower than with a half load. Seems to be going well.
Thanks. Greatly appreciated.
Offline dieselduo  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 1:05:33 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
fill it with water and take 3 gal out and see where it is. LOL
Offline Whaler Dan  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 1:58:39 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Funny guy diesel..... I was asking because I had a double batch of ferment plus my feints. I threw it all into the boiler and realized it looked a little too full. I drained some out before I started heating. I was just hoping someone had an idea where the level was so I didn't have to drain the whole thing, fill, measure, drain refill with wash, start. I'll do the measuring when this run is done. Unless Rick gets back to me tomorrow. On another note. After our conversation last time about low heat , low water vs high heat , high water....... I took your advise as well as others who responded. Ran the temp up to around 150 till the column got warm , backed off the heat a little. Collected 125-130 ml of foreshots. Backed off the heat some more and ran a tad more water till she settled out at around 155-160. Let it run at reflux at that temp for 60-70 minutes with no collection. Then ran the RSC up a tad and slowed the water down till I started collecting. She is currently running 94 ABV at a nice consistent rate with really clean smelling distillate. So......... Thanks to you guys for setting me straight on the temps not being an issue and sitting at full reflux for awhile before collection. I've picked up 3 points of ABV on this advice. I can only attribute this to your guidance.
Thanks again.....
Offline Hokey  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:39:40 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
NIce job on the 94% Whaler. That is what I shoot for when making a neutral. If you can get that consistently it is a great thing. The most I have put in my boiler is 13 gals. Where it came up to in the boiler ?????? I think a little head space is good. IMHO.