logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ga_goat  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2015 4:51:40 PM(UTC)
Ga_goat

Groups: Registered

I been using the receipt my father and grandfather used / cracked corn covered with water just enough to cover it /wait till it sours ,, about 4 to 10 days depending on temp
after it sours add water (hot) to ½ full add sugar with bakers yeast added to it and mixed in warm water stir well and finish adding water to ¾full cover and let work / this was /is a hobby so it is all done in 5 gallon buckets // 5 to 6 cracked corn , 5 pounds sugar ,, 4.5 gal water needed 2 buckets per run in a 15 gal boiler . been using this for 50 years and it has worked fine , I mash the same grain 3 times before discarding . second batch is best .
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2015 5:36:33 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi Goat. I think you have your terminology wrong.You are talking about a sugar head not a mash.Mashing is the process of heating your grain and water and the enzymes in the malt or adding your own enzymes to break down the starches into fermentable sugars.A sour mash is one in which you would use material from an older mash to start a new fermentation. i.e. backset not letting the corn go sour. that is called a sour corn starter
Offline Ga_goat  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2015 8:52:04 PM(UTC)
Ga_goat

I probably have the terminology wrong , but I don't use any enzymes just corn sugar and yeast and it sets in the fermenter to get sour each time Now that I have doing some reading here my next batch I plan to pre cook the corn like I have read about on here and use less sugar , We don't have any supply houses here except for grocery stores . The cooking thing may explain why the second time I work the grain it produces more ,

Edited by user Saturday, November 28, 2015 9:35:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified