logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dieselduo  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 5:33:27 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Does the still heater have to be grounded to the kettle like a hot water heater does ? Will 2 work for the 15 gal kettle. Looks a lot cleaner than a hot water heater http://www.brewhaus.com/...tridge-Heater-P1548.aspx . Maybe admin can weigh in here. I think a simple RSC would work on this
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:52:54 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The StillHeater does not need to be grounded to the kettle, but it will be by default (you will have a metal to metal contact, and the heater is grounded).

Two heaters for a 15 gallon kettle would be good for getting to a boil more quickly, and then you can kick one off or use a controller to reduce the heat input.
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 7:42:05 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

how long is the cartridge and the cord ? Doesn't say in the description. Thanx
Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 10:41:05 AM(UTC)
admin

The heater is 12" long and the power cord is ~16". Thank you for pointing out that this was not listed- we will correct that ASAP.
Offline dieselduo  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:47:32 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

tried it today on my small 8 gal pot. Worked great and seems to be more efficient than the old hot water element. Nice and heavy. Now admin just needs to come out with a controller that is as good as this heater. You've just got to love Brewhaus products !
Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:35:05 PM(UTC)
admin

We do have controllers, but took them offline because one person had their controller overheat. It was only one person, but that is one too many for us, so we are retrofitting all of the controllers with heat sinks, and they should hopefully be available again shortly. BigGrin
Offline dieselduo  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2015 1:58:19 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

saw in the news letter you were going to get the controllers in this month. Can't wait to check them out !
Offline dstar  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2015 10:28:01 AM(UTC)
dstar

I'm curious whether anyone has experienced issues with discolored distillate when using the cartridge heater.

I failed to clean the cartridge before installation and my first use resulted in a green distillate (not blue, green). I then did a cleaning run using a half-gallon of 95% feints. Each subsequent run continues to show a greenish tint (though significantly fainter than that first run with the heater).

This has occured on a SS boiler and column, in use for a year, and running the same ferment recipes that I've always run. The heater was the only change in hardware or protocol. I'll switch back to a water heater element for the next run to try to isolate the cause.
Offline dieselduo  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2015 11:07:08 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

I haven't had any problems with it. I love it! Something else has to be going on to get a green distillate as the heater is stainless. Have you cleaned your packing lately ?
Offline dstar  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2015 6:00:51 PM(UTC)
dstar

> Have you cleaned your packing lately ?

It gets rinsed after each use.

From an engineering perspective, if one component in a system is changed and there is a measurable change in the system's output ... then that component is responsible for the change.

I assume there was some residual flux or machining oil on the cartridge and I'm surprised that the subsequent cleaning run didn't flush out the cause. I was curious as to whether other users did or did not experience the same issue. If not, I'm just perplexed.

I like the cartridge, especially it's length. While I haven't noticed any faster time-to-temp over my previous element I'll buy another if they go on sale again.

Offline dieselduo  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:40:46 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
We do have controllers, but took them offline because one person had their controller overheat. It was only one person, but that is one too many for us, so we are retrofitting all of the controllers with heat sinks, and they should hopefully be available again shortly. BigGrin

Just wondering how the controllers were coming along BigGrin
Offline admin  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:45:50 PM(UTC)
admin

The heat sinks are cut, but with a couple of people on vacation we are running behind just about everywhere in the warehouse, including getting them drilled and installed. Hopefully no more than a week.