logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Whodat  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 10:41:06 AM(UTC)
Whodat

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Howdy People,

I watched this old Al Capone Series a long while back. These "boys" from Kentucky are making this new blended tan whiskey. Ole' Scarface takes a shot and pauses.. ."That's really smooth." . I thought to myself "If, I ever start making it, that's what it should taste like. Strong yet, smooth."

They call it croc out here. So far I've only been dabbling in dark toast. Thinking that it would speed up flavoring. I think I should have went for medium or even light. Because the oak was just too overpowering. I ended up Blending it with clear just to offset the strong flavor of oak.

I had a friend give me a nice piece of aged oak. And I was wondering if anyone makes there own chips, and the best way they have came up with toasting them, or charring them. I've heard of using tinfoil to wrap them up. Toasting them in your oven at 425F.

I'm starting to wonder if the key to making good croc isn't so much as finding good oak chips, as it is blending older batches to refine taste. If anyone is making good tan, and would like to share some insight with me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a pic where I have started making a modified version of the last, only on the 2nd day, much less chips. And still seems to be darkening way too fast. 55-60% abv
I'm shooting for a nice J.D taste. that hides just a little bit of that strong corn taste. And a has that nice oak finish. Would flavoring my faints help, and using them in my thumper? Should I drop my Abv to 50% or even lower? Is there some other flavor I'm missing that should be added like char sticks as well? I'm trying to make Old number 7 in a couple weeks, just stronger, yet smoother BigGrin Thanks for any help.
jdtrying

Edited by user Sunday, June 07, 2015 10:52:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo's

Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:09:19 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Ya know you are on the right track with what you want in my opinion. But to make a likker that mimics perfectly any named likker your best bet is gonna be an extract. If it was easy to make the duplicate of the best stuff going we would all be drunk. But seriously just adding oak for a time will not duplicate what you want, it will prolly be good but a clone, not likely. I wouldn't use feints at all, just make the run collect in small amounts and make good cuts (with your nose) add back what tastes good and oak from there.
I used a neutral likker with extracts to get as close as it was gonna get but still I could tell it was a copy. I don't really like that heavy corn influence in my hooch either hence the neutral.
You mentioned blending of different batches and thats exactly what the big boys do to get and keep that distinct and very noticeable JD flavor in every jug. Of course there are those like Single Barrel that come form one barrel and it is what it is. Anyway hope this helps and hope you can work out the bugs.
thanks 1 user thanked heeler for this useful post.
Whodat on 6/22/2015(UTC)
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:15:02 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Oh sorry one more thing, if you have a Publix grocer where you live they sell JD Barrel chips in a bag. I have read that others have used them (I have not) that would prolly get you as close as you can get, it would add color and flavor, it's actually used barrles chipped up for a smoker but would certainly work for your application. something to ponder anyway. Tim
thanks 1 user thanked heeler for this useful post.
Whodat on 6/22/2015(UTC)
Offline dieselduo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:54:45 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I use the JD chips along with the medium toast chips at cask strength. Gives more depth with vanilla and caramel overtones.Walmart also has the JD chips
thanks 1 user thanked dieselduo for this useful post.
Whodat on 6/25/2015(UTC)
Offline Whodat  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 10:59:17 AM(UTC)
Whodat

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
I use the JD chips along with the medium toast chips at cask strength. Gives more depth with vanilla and caramel overtones.Walmart also has the JD chips

the croc Im making taste really good. but even then....It's got be pure like heelers talking about. I'm getting a very nice clone......But as far as it being JD....far from it.
fact: you cant make JD over 100 proof,lol

Edited by user Monday, June 22, 2015 11:02:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 5:20:19 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I use the French oak from Bhaus.. I have varying shades depending on the age we are talking about - hearts from a sfeed 88-92%, cut to 80 proof w/distilled water) and then oaked. about a tablespoon and a half to a pint.

• 1 month - light tan
  • 3 Months - oh Mammacita
  • 6 months - Jeremiah was a bullfrog...
It really depends on what you want - if it gets too dark, cut it with clear like you did - I use the end of the hearts to tune them up if I need to.. After you do it to your preference, it get's easier and easier to siplicate w/o hitting .45 on a BAC test.. Check out my av for a 3month sample ...

Cheers
thanks 1 user thanked RCRed for this useful post.
Whodat on 6/25/2015(UTC)