logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline redsimms  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2015 3:42:13 AM(UTC)
redsimms

Groups: Registered

Want to run this by some veterans out there. I was thinking about building a charcoal filter for my set up. Was wondering if building it to work like a parrot and feed from the bottom and filter continuously as it overflowed at the top. I have been reading up on the activated charcoal filtering and think this is something I need to add and thought this might work well as everything I have read says no to let the filter run dry. I just don't know if this would work correctly or not. Any input would be appreciated. thanks
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2015 10:09:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
My opinion is you wont need to carbon filter once you learn how to make a quality wash and run a still. Like not using a turbo yeast and not collecting your distillate in one big jug, now this is just my opinion so plz don't take offense to my statement. I have used carbon in the past but not in the fashion you mentioned but it prolly would work the way you described.
Offline Whodat  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2015 2:12:52 PM(UTC)
Whodat

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use to want to as you probably did , just to be safe. I've tried cheesecloth, charcoal, and coffee filters. I have to say I prefer the later. Unbleached.

I do this after I've done my run, and during dilution. I seen a post that you made about 2 years ago, ( was wondering if it was stainless or copper) , and I get these crystals to that you speak of. Now, the best thing I have read that kind of explain them, that there is a oil that is made when water is mixed with a alcohol solution ,that chemically bonds to the natural oils in your product(esp. if your in the high abv's with less water in the first place). Something close to that effect. I'm no chemist.

I don't know how true it is Huh . But probably like you, I use the same natural (and I do mean natural) spring water that I used to make my product in the first place that I use to dilute with. And my product comes out clear. I don't see this effect until after water is added.

I also agree with everything Heeler is saying. And it surely doesn't hurt anything to filter it ( don't think it would matter about the filter, wet or dry too to much.) But for me, and this is my own personal experience, I'd have to filter again because of dilution.