logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ELT  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 2:28:28 PM(UTC)
ELT

Groups: Registered

Hello folks,

what is a reasonable wattage to power a PSII High Capacity with 15 gallon premium kettle? 12 gallons of wash. By reasonable I am saying gets from room temp to producing in about an hour'ish. I see the option for 3 1" NPT openings. If I were to put 3 1500 watt elements in those (knowing each draws 13 amps at 120 vac)???

I ask because you see folks recommend the Blichmann. The burner it uses is 72,000 btu/hr. I use 2 of them on my Brutus 3 pot brewing rig (MLT has no burner - on a double electric RIMS tube). 72kBTU/hr = 21 kw. That is more than three 5500 watt water heater elements - so matching that beast is not feasible.

Next question - once the 12 gallons of wash is stable at 173 F how much heat input is required to keep the PSII HC producing at a smooth rate? Is it less than 1500 watts? If so I would set one 1500 watt element on a variable SSR to balance the still input power which should make balancing the cooling water easier and require less cooling water.

I appreciate any assistance y'all may be able to provide.

Edited by user Saturday, May 16, 2015 2:30:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline falcon  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 11:04:30 AM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

Hello ELT,
I have a PSii on a 1500 watt hot plate. Using the variable SSR I have found that around 700-750 watts, I have also measured the voltage at around 70v seems to work good for me. I get a flow rate around 12 m/l a minute. I realize the numbers don't add up, the watts was measured using a plug in meter and the voltage was measured with a volt meter. In any case lower the heat, I would tend to believe my unit runs best around 1000 watts.
Hope this help's
Offline ELT  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 5:17:51 PM(UTC)
ELT

So a 5500 watt element that is SCR controlled should be PLENTY of juice even for a High Capacity model! Sweet.