logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Whodat  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2015 12:06:32 PM(UTC)
Whodat

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,

I have a 40 gallon hammerhead still (with a 14 inch cap). It also has a 5 gallon all copper thumper with half inch connectors. But my worm is 3/8's O.D..

When I got this still I thought my dreams have came true. I could run once and be done with it for awhile. To my dismay my first run took a incredible 16hrs to complete. And that was only 17 gallons of wash which produced 2 fine gallons. I was really happy with my ABV of my still seeming to hit the 75-80 % mark.

But now I'm sort of stuck. Because I never thought it would take so long. I thought bigger would mean I could run faster. And that's just not the case. I get the fact that slower makes it stronger. And running it fast makes it weaker. But don't that mean it takes the same amount of time make it?

The guy that built this for me, told me if I run too fast, chances are I'll fill my thumper up and it will start puking.

So my question is this....If I fill my boiler up all the way...would it take the same amount of time to do 20 gallons? Or am I looking at a 32hr run? Is there any way to make this ordeal faster and would installing a slobber box help me avoid a "puking" situation if I wanted to open it up and leave my thumper intact?

I realize now that I would have been happy with just a 20 gallon still. And I do love my still.I don't have deep pockets, I can't just run out and buy a new one. But I can't do a 16hr run every time. It's just too taxing...

If anyone has any ideals to make my runs go a little faster, and still keep the thumper I'd like to hear them. But for now, I see my next run without it. And even then I'm guessing at least 15 hrs. or more if the boiler is actually full and running as fast a possible?
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2015 4:53:27 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
IN my opinion that's just the way it is..but I can give you one absolute, make a 5 gallon run and it will take less time to finish and that's just the way it is!!!!
I think all the issues you described are gonna happen if you push too hard so if less time spent stillin is what you want make smaller washes and that should solve itself.
And 2 gallons of fine likker should last for quite some time really.
thanks 1 user thanked heeler for this useful post.
Whodat on 4/5/2015(UTC)