logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Whaler Dan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:08:23 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Groups: Registered

Running a 15.5 premium kettle PS2 high cap in reflux mode for neutral spirits production. 2 ea. 4500 watt 240 volt elements running at 115. Bottom element on straight power. Top element on RSC between low and med. Start with gas as well to bring temps up quickly. It stays rock solid at 171 - 172 degrees at the head. Cooling water temp is between 50 -75 depending on amount of ice in the cooler. Wash is a sugar base at a finish gravity of .985. Gave me a 18.5% wash. Collection has been a steady 93 - 94 ABV. I know that low and slow is the way to go and I'm all for that because I know that quality is WAY better than quantity. However I am running faster that the preferred 16 oz per 30 min. Total collection is about 3.5 qts at avg 92 ABV. Is this due to the high capacity of the rig? I've tried to lower heat and lower cooling water rate as well as temp but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. Production has been extremely positive but I'm just concerned that I'm leaving something on the table so to speak. I've turned some results into some FINE gin with essence and an addition of ground almonds, allspice, juniper berries, fennel (sub for licorice) coriander seed and some lemon zest. With some quality tonic it is unbeatable at 100 proof dilution. Just want to make sure that I'm not able to get anything else out of the rig. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining under ANY circumstances just wanted to know if the 3" column has something to do with the faster collection rates as opposed to the 2" column. Is that where the collection rates were developed from??
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 3:30:43 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
in my opinion I don't think you could ask for more. Have you done anything that you would want a flavor carryover with? I bet with 93-94 ABV you wont have much flavor to speak of but that's really pretty normal. Anyway great job on the neutral.
Oh and yes the 3" column compared to the 2" is deff different. I don't own a 3" tower and from what you say your collection rate is much faster than mine. I'm not complaining either, I love my rig too.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:04:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Whaler Dan  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 3:50:29 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

thanks for the response heeler. I've been reading your threads as well as a few others RC Red and Scotty to name a few and admin whose help and guidance has been ridiculously helpful. Trying to glean as much knowledge as I can before posting questions so as not to ask the same one as everyone else has in the past. I figured I was pretty much in the ball park as far as collection was concerned but wanted to check with the Hooch Wizards anyway. Thanks again buddy.
Offline Whaler Dan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 4:03:46 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

I think a few more runs with neutral with the results I've been getting and I think I might want to graduate to some rum or maybe a bourbon. I'm the rum drinker. Wife likes the bourbon. But the gin result has her smilin heavy. No need for the sapphire anymore.