logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Algiz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 4:23:10 PM(UTC)
Algiz

Groups: Registered

I wanted to get some feedback and ideas about aging in a 3 gal glass carboy. If I used an airlock would that let out the bad components in the liquor as it ages?
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 5:51:10 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
if it were me I would not put an air lock on it. Just shake and take the top off to air it out once a week or once every other week. Have had good success doing it that way
thanks 1 user thanked dieselduo for this useful post.
Algiz on 3/3/2015(UTC)
Offline Algiz  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 5:59:24 PM(UTC)
Algiz

That's what I have been doing for a year and a half, with good results. My thought was to simulate a barrel. By allowing the carboy to breathe and leave it be in the basement to age. It would also take up less space.
Offline dieselduo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:43:51 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

couldn't hurt. give her a go and let us know how it works outDrool
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 04, 2015 9:13:52 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Algiz Go to Quoted Post
That's what I have been doing for a year and a half, with good results. My thought was to simulate a barrel. By allowing the carboy to breathe and leave it be in the basement to age. It would also take up less space.

You wouldn't be simulating a barrel, the way a barrel breaths is the likker goes in and out of the wood and brings the wood flavors out of the oak. Nowthen, if your likker is in glass there would be no real advantage to the airlock idea in my opinion. I think I understand what you are trying to do but remember it would also evaporate the etoh if you left it open to the air and with the airlock in place no air movement could happen anyway.

thanks 1 user thanked heeler for this useful post.
Algiz on 3/8/2015(UTC)
Offline Hokey  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 04, 2015 10:49:44 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I did not read anything about oak being used. Assuming there is I would rotate/spin once in a while. Aerateing longer than a couple weeks I think would do more harm than good. The unwanted vapors would be gone by then. Imho.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 04, 2015 10:51:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Hokey for this useful post.
Algiz on 3/8/2015(UTC)
Offline RCRed  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 10:52:37 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
+1 on what Sir Hokey has said...

I age on glass with oak chips - every two weeks, I pop the seals on the containers a hot second, then seal back up, and agitate the snot outa it (Plz don't try tapin' it to a paint whirly and usin' a drill - bad idea Blink ) and then back into the rack..

I get exceptional results every time I am willing to wait the six months it takes LOL

Edited by user Friday, March 06, 2015 10:58:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: after 35+ years in computers, I cannot speel

thanks 1 user thanked RCRed for this useful post.
Algiz on 3/8/2015(UTC)
Offline dieselduo  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:29:59 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Does anyone know how many times you can reuse oak barrels for aging before losing most of the benifits ?
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 6:53:31 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Howdy gents, I had the good fortune to go to the JD distillery once and the tour guide there said that the barrels can only be used once for their purposes. I know you and I could use it as many times as we want to but the way it was said was ---- liken it to a tea bag, it's just not the same after the first time. SO then what do they do with the barrels??? They sell them to Scotch makes (Glenlivet) and they say the used barrel gives that nice LIGHT amber look. There are also rum makers that buy the used ones, I think read once that Canadian whiskey makers buy them too.
You and I can use our 2-5 gallon barrel as many times as we want but I guess it's one of the secrets of the trade that tells them they can only use it once. They need that heavy burnt wood flavor so when they cut it down to 80 proof it still has the wood flavor in the finished product.
Offline dieselduo  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 12:36:43 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Well I guess when it is spent will still make a cool dispenser. Cool
Offline more than I can drink  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:23:45 AM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a 5gal Canadian Oak charred barrel and it's been in service for four years now. The first batch I put in the barrel was over Oked in a month but I put it back through the still and things turned out ok.

After each batch that goes into the barrel the wait time for the next batch takes a little longer than the last. It's takes a good 6 months now to age but the flavours the barrel give now are far better than the first couple of batches.

In a smaller barrel unlike a commercial size, the surface area to volume of liquor is larger causing the aging process to be quicker.

Government has laws that states a certain process for aging and that's why they only us a barrel once for Burban but that barrel gets used a second time for whiskey as an example.

A barrel is a great addition to a HomeBrewer's hardware but oak chips in a glass carboy will produce similar results with less work.

My barrel is alway full as it would grow mold if left empty. Salfur is needed to store it empty and five gallons is way too big. My next one will be 1 to 3 gallons.

You don't put high proof in a barrel becaus the more alcohol content in the barrel the quicker it will strip flavors out of the wood. Picture the alcohol as a cleaner, the less diluted it is the less cleaning power it has. I would shoot for 100 proof or less going into the barrel as a proof of 150 would probably come out of the barrel black to dark brown in two weeks with no time to age letting out those off flavors that a barrel does so nicely over time.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:33:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CalHiTower  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 07, 2015 4:04:27 PM(UTC)
CalHiTower

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I agree about using your small barrel for serving...it's way cool. The first, second, and third 10 L batches were nice coming out of this barrel...then the oak flavor started waning, so I started glass aging with chips or Liquor Quick Swishers. Pull from the oak when taste is just right.

Cal Hi Tower
Offline broker  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2016 3:38:11 AM(UTC)
broker

Just shake and take the top off to air it out once a week or once every other week.

==================
how to make money betting online