logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Whaler Dan  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 4:43:59 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Groups: Registered

26.5 liters of turbo 48. Started at 1.12 on the hydro. 5 days later the airlock slowed way down. Temp of the ferm jug was around 88-92 most of the time. Stirred in another pound of sugar (started with 17.5, this made it 18.5). BIG MISTAKE!!! almost blew the fermenter up. Foamed up but didn't make it over the wallBlushing. 3 days later it quit altogether. Sparkaloid in the ferm jug, 3 more days to settle,racked off and then carry it up to the garage. 15.5 gal PS2 HC in reflux set up. 2 da 4500 watt elements into two separate 15 amp breakers with the ability to run gas if needed. (Not this time). Both elements on full blast. 90 minutes later heat halfway up the top column and rising. Cut power to upper element and watch temp. 168 and I started to see a little drip. Turned on cooling water. (Cooler with well water and snow, recirc with fish tank pump, water temp in cooler at 39.) eased temp at column to 174 and got first 175 ml of NASTY but saved for nose reference. Rate was about 3-5 drips / sec. Collected in half full 10 oz mason jars for the next 1.5-2 hours thru the parrot. Realized 88-92% ABV. thru first 8-10 jars. Drip rate varied a little but tried for consistacy as opposed to experimentation. Tried to keep temp at 176-180 thru heat adjustment as well as water temp and flow. ExTREMELY difficult with valve included in kit. Maybe water was too cold but valve was barely cracked as evidenced by watching flow thru top hose at column. 4.5 hours later (total time since start) temps were climbing into 188-192 range. Continued collecting until 198. Deff. tails country. Shut down the rig, popped the column cork and let her cool down. Plowed the drvwy. Then cleaned out the rig. Next afternoon went thru my cuts and found I ended up with 2.25 qts of 170 proof. Reduced that to 110. Which got me around 4 qts of hearts. The rest was jugged up in glass to be run again with the next batch. Any and ALL insight or info requests to critique this run are STRONGLY requested. BigGrin
Offline Whaler Dan  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 4:45:33 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Should've stated ending SG was 1.02
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 5:14:42 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
sounds like it wasn't finished @ 1.02. Should be around 1 are a little less
Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 5:38:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
17.5lbs of yeast is actually the top end of what the Turbo 48 can handle (~18%abv). Adding another pound at the end was probably over the top for it. Based on the FG sounds like part of it got fermented, but part did not, which makes sense.
Offline Whaler Dan  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 6:11:08 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Diesel..... That's what I thought but it stopped working and I let it sit for another day.....

Admin...... I'm pretty sure that's what happened ... But hey, like everyone else ya gotta learn by doing.

I have another batch on ferment presently and will monitor a little closer and NOT add any extra to the mix and compare my findings at the end. As far as collection amounts, ABV, and application of the still heating and cooling water, do you think I got a fair amount out of it?? I'm happy as a pig in 54it with my results but I am ALWAYS open to suggestions. Learn thru experience and OJT is what I was taught and "LISTEN to those who've gone before you. Gain their knowledge, show them respect and you will get the same back"

Thanks for your insight.
Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 6:49:29 PM(UTC)
admin

What was your total collected (volume and %abv)? The 2.25qts sounds low- I would expect it to be closer to a gallon- but if you had a lot left in tails then that could explain. The rise in temp leads me to believe that you had too much power for the column and cooling water, as it should stay consistent through most of the run.
Offline Whaler Dan  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 7:26:24 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Total collected volume was 2.25-2.5 qts of 88-92 ABV. I may have made my cuts a little too conservative. My wife and I did the cuts together. We compared notes as to our findings and made our decisions on both our noses and palate since it is a new hobby for BOTH of us and figured better to err on the "good side" as opposed to the "questionable" side since we will be the ones consuming till we get it down to " a science" and are willing to share our treasures with others

I had the second (lower element) on an RSC. when I swithced from full on to the adjustable setting (which according to many posts turns out to run at around 85% of full power) I lost temps in the column at a fairly quick rate. Went from 180 to an immediate drop of 1 degree every 10-15 seconds or so. So I decided to leave the RSC at full power (4500 watt /240 volt running 110 volt)for a little over 1000 watts. The cooling water was a fairly consistent 39-40 deg F. and BARELY flowing. Valve was just cracked. Any more than that and I would lose heat in the column. Is there such a thing as too cold water for column/condenser cooling. Condenser was 100% flow as instructed in manual and valve was after condenser and before column. Input was at bottom nipple of condenser (shouldn't be of concern) and connected to lowest input nipple on column with return from column going to top of condenser ( as shown in picture on main page ).
Offline Whaler Dan  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 7:31:09 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

The column stayed at 174-176 for a good hour and a half before it started a slow rise. That's where I figured my hearts were. When it started to rise I continued collection but made a mental note as to the jar number and ABV ( which stayed around 88 for another 15 minutes then started to drop). This is where I figured I was into the tails for sure. Subsequent cuts the next day seemed to bear that out with a sniff test. Never smelled tails before BUT there was a definite change in smell as compared to the hearts jars.
Offline Whaler Dan  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 7:33:28 PM(UTC)
Whaler Dan

Maybe run both elements, one on the RSC but run the column water a little harder to counteract the increase in heat?
Offline admin  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 8:14:10 PM(UTC)
admin

It is a bit of practice finding the right match of cooling water flow / temp (the colder the better- but keep it consistent) and heat input. The big thing is try keeping the heat input constant or you knock the equilibrium in the column.