logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 6:18:22 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I just did a 5 gallon kit of ale--- I added some chocolate malt to make it dark--I used a clarifier and let it sit for a week--- I siphoned it into a corney keg and carbonated it with my CO2 tank
I poured a glass and the head was half the glass and stayed there- the carbonation was weak so I left it at 20 pounds for 24 hours.

When I originally poured the first glass I was using 8 pounds pressure-- this time I used 5 pounds and the head is still way too much.

How about some input--- questions help or whatever

PLEASE
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:30:19 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Is the beer cold (as in very cold)? How long has it been sitting at rest since putting it into your kegerator (assuming that is what you are using)? If it was a bit over-carbonated, or if the pressure in the keg is still a bit high, then the pressure will need to come down a bit to keep it from foaming. I use 8-10psi dispensing pressure for mine, and it works pretty well- keeps a good level of carbonation without excessive foam.

I also find that the first half-glass every time that I tap (after it has sat for several hours or more) is heavy on foam. If you toss the first half-glass, does it then come out with less foam?

Some ingredients will cause a lot of foaming. We made a sour currant porter once that would foam if you looked at it the wrong way. It doesn't sound like this is your problem, but I wanted to toss it out there.

Also, are the lines clean? If the lines were not properly cleaned they can cause foaming issues.
Offline more than I can drink  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 9:36:01 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
How long is your serving line? Should have at least 8 to 10 or more feet to keep from excess foaming if serving from a keg at high pressure.
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 3:44:49 AM(UTC)
scotty

I have a 5 gallon corney keg with a tap mounted right on the keg== no it was not cold at all-- ill let it sit in the refer for a couple of days before trying again-- the beer was not over carbonated. I even reduced the dispensing pressure to 5 pounds -- ill cool it first and try again

thanks all
Offline admin  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 9:06:05 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Warm beer will foam much more than cold beer because the CO<sub>2</sub> is going to be released more quickly. Cooling it could make a huge difference, as can letting it rest undisturbed for at least a day.
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 5:08:18 PM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Warm beer will foam much more than cold beer because the CO<sub>2</sub> is going to be released more quickly. Cooling it could make a huge difference, as can letting it rest undisturbed for at least a day.

Im trying that Rick :)
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2015 5:48:12 PM(UTC)
scotty

I should have use the blichman gun-- im still learning-- i think that the comment about having a long feed line may be the mistake--- ok next time
Offline Whodat  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:08:14 AM(UTC)
Whodat

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

Sometimes when you brew....ya get in a big hurry....Your hoping to taste the fruits of your labor faster then time will allow. Did you get any gravity readings in this? Kits are the worse. The foam could be due to a lot of yeast in your beer. I'm not trying to judge how you made the beer....but do you have any readings off it?

Edited by user Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:12:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:47:27 AM(UTC)
scotty

HEY who--LOL
i WANTED INPUT SO THANKS-- fIRST OF ALL I FERMENTED TILL THE HYDROMETER WAS STOPPED-- THEN I RACKE OFF THE LEES AND USED A CLARIFYER. I didnt record the hydrometer readings because i have fermented so many wines-- i guess i was a bit cocky--- I carbonate with a co2 tan. 40 pounds for 24 hours then 20 pounds for 24 hours--- i had a problem at first then i put the tank with the beer and the co2 tank in the refer to carbonate--

Please dont hesitate to make any comments i made this beer once last year and we frank it from the tank-- this year i tried to bottle it---
Offline Whodat  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 8:09:20 AM(UTC)
Whodat

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
HEY who--LOL
i WANTED INPUT SO THANKS-- fIRST OF ALL I FERMENTED TILL THE HYDROMETER WAS STOPPED-- THEN I RACKE OFF THE LEES AND USED A CLARIFYER. I didnt record the hydrometer readings because i have fermented so many wines-- i guess i was a bit cocky--- I carbonate with a co2 tan. 40 pounds for 24 hours then 20 pounds for 24 hours--- i had a problem at first then i put the tank with the beer and the co2 tank in the refer to carbonate--

Please dont hesitate to make any comments i made this beer once last year and we frank it from the tank-- this year i tried to bottle it---

Honestly, I can't really comment on beer....I made it one time with a kit.LOL I never had to boil any thing or make any type of....malt? The beer I made carbonated itself because I used carbonation pills to do so. I could be wrong, but I thought some carbonation happens naturally, like root beer. Did you use a primer or starter can? Did that have some Co2 pop as well? Besides the chocolate malt ?

To me , it just sounds like really good beer with a lot of carbon in it. And like the admin says, just cooling it and letting it rest...and as you continue to pour should release some of that co2. I really want to know how it tastes. Too much head? You might be the first. Tellem' to throw a tad of salt on top... :D
Offline NicoleJS  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:56:50 AM(UTC)
NicoleJS

Woman
United States

Balancing a system isn't difficult if you approach the issue one piece at a time. First thing is your temp. At 45 deg and 12 psi you're only going to get about 2.1 vols of CO2 into the beer at equilibrium. Normal serving/storing temp is 38F unless you're going for cask beer. That's going to be about 2.6 vol of CO2 at 12 psi. A significant difference. nokia ringtones

Turning down the serving pressure can make a beer foam just as much as having the beer overcarbonated. Ideally your system needs to balance your storing/carb temp with the inside diameter of your beer line (ideally 3/16" for short-draw systems and the length of line going from the keg to the tap with some slight consideration for height of the tap compared to the center of the keg.

At 45 F your psi for 2.5 vol of CO2 is going to be 15 psi. You're going to need a bit more length on your beer line to get proper serving pressure w/o foam. Should be 6-8 feet. iphone ringtones

Don't play with the pressures frequently. Let the system attain equilibrium and serve consistently and it should be fine.

Edited by user Sunday, June 28, 2020 8:40:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified