logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline lkammer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 5:45:23 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Groups: Registered

I'm making a batch similar to sweetfeed recipe. I used cracked corn and put in about 3/4 cup molasses.(5 gal batch). So, I mashed the corn at 175F for about 2.5 hrs. Then cooled it to 152F added 1lb. malted barley, kept it between 147-150 for about an hour (also added 1/2tsp AAmylase). When I checked SG was only at 1.012. I used a 6row crystal crushed malted barley. I read where the crystal barley is heated to crystallize the sugar. My question is does that process 'kill' the enzymatic properties of the barley. I was expecting a much higher SG.

Edited by user Sunday, February 08, 2015 9:41:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 7:49:50 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Hi - Was the barley crushed/ground before it was added?
Offline lkammer  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 09, 2015 9:13:48 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Yes.It's 'crystal crushed malted barley'.

Edited by user Monday, February 09, 2015 9:34:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:15:03 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
lkammer,

Most crystal malt won't offer much diastatic power, if at all. Try one of the base grains ... 2-/6-row pale ... or even Maris Otter, Golden Promise, etc. The 6-row will typically give you the biggest bang for the buck, followed by the 2-row (80 - 160 L). The others maybe half that (~70 L). And say, a crystal 40 ... maybe 40 L (enough to convert itself). That's "L" as in "Lintner" (DP) not "Lovibond" (color).

--JB
Offline lkammer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:47:28 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Thanks... Yeah this barley is marked 60L. One other thing ,with this 5-gal sweetfeed batch ,would 1 lb of the malts you mention be enough, or do i need 2lbs. And do people use a mix of AA and barley.
Thanks
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:48:20 AM(UTC)
RCRed

I use 1 lb of Promise in my 5gal SF washes - Good conversion and SG every time.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:42:43 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lkammer Go to Quoted Post
Thanks... Yeah this barley is marked 60L. One other thing ,with this 5-gal sweetfeed batch ,would 1 lb of the malts you mention be enough, or do i need 2lbs. And do people use a mix of AA and barley.
Thanks

I believe the 60L you're seeing is Lovibon (color metric), e.g.: "Crystal 60", not 60 Lintner (diastatic power, "DP" -- liquefaction/saccharification metric). I know it can be confusing ... but the two scales refer to two very different things. You'll normally have to look at the spec sheet for the malt to determine it's DP.

I believe 30 Lintner (or 35??) is required for a malt to convert its own starch in about an hour. To account for your process variables, it's probably a good idea to shoot for something more like an average of 40 Lintner/pound of grain (or a bit more). E.g. A 6-row base malt with a DP of 120 would be adequate for 120/40 = 3 lbs total grain bill.

Or another way, if you have a 16 lb grain bill: 16 x 40 = 640. So with that same malt, you would need 640/120 = 5.3 (or about 5.5 lbs of your total grain bill should be the malt with a DP of 120).

I'm sure there are lots of folks who supplement their mash with commercial enzymes. You'll just have to do some math.

Also ... I know 152 F is very common for brewing (most of my beer recipes call for 152 F). But for spirits, you'll probably want things a bit cooler. Maybe in the 146 F - 148 F range.

Just a final note: the sweet feed recipe isn't really about converting corn starch ... it's more about carrying over corn flavor (it's not actually a mash). So what I mention above is probably a bit outside the intent of the recipe. If you want to play around with actual mashing (true vs. faux whiskey), you can just mash a base malt (with some other stuff: corn, oats, whatever) ... just like a beer (sin hops, and at a slightly lower temp). For a sweet feed though, just follow Red's suggestion ... no need to get hung up over starch conversion ... just food for thought.

Regards,
--JB

Edited by user Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:06:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Missed Red's last post ... add comment.

thanks 1 user thanked John Barleycorn for this useful post.
lkammer on 2/17/2015(UTC)
Offline RCRed  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 10:24:28 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Exactly, JB.. I am after the flavor pass thru as an ingredient to a flavor profile I am after.

I missed that it was getting above 148f in your work. I keep mine in 145-147 range. Most of the time, I end up turning OFF the heat on the Brewhaus hotplate (What I use to cook washes) and simply letting it simper down from 147/148 to 140 (ish) over the course of an hour. The mass of the wash and 3 gals of water takes a LONG time to cool significantly so it seems to have worked out in my implementations so far. I got that idea from the SF thread here where Bigwheel talked about using a simper approach versus a cooking approach. I experimented with a combination of that - cook the sweet feed for 90m @ 148f, down the heat, and aerate the wash w/ paint stirrer - then add the Golden Promise - aerate again and leave to simper for 60m. I use an iodine check and repeat as necessary...

Similar to the posted recipe, I use half the grain bill in the final wash, and the Brewhaus Whiskey Prestige AG yeasts. Pitch at 82f, 5 mins of whirly birding with the paint stirrer/drill, SG check, cap and airlock...
Offline lkammer  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 3:58:19 PM(UTC)
lkammer

Thanks guys.These post are very helpful... Like the saying goes. You learn something new everyday!