logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joshua  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 9:09:34 PM(UTC)
joshua

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I have made several batches of "pure corn whiskey" with the recipe from Ian Smiley's book. I have had good results, and have experimented with thin mash. I follow his recipe and use prestige whiskey yeast with AG. My question is, am I getting the best fermentation possible as far as the yeast? I don't believe the whiskey yeast is made to ferment plain sugar. I may be way off, but from what I've read you need a turbo to ferment sugar. Obviously I don't want that in my corn mash,or do I? Would I benefit from adding a different yeast with the whiskey yeast, or yeast nutrients to help the whiskey yeast with the plain sugar? Any advice is appreciated. I've been in the hobby for a while, just experimenting a bit with different washes and now finding out I don't know as much as I thought. BTW, I've been reading this forum for a while even though I recently just joined and yet to post. This is an awesome place to research. There is a hellofa lot of knowledge floating around this place.
Offline more than I can drink  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 6:53:49 AM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are using the abbreviation AG, what does it stand for? Around the brewing forums on the World Wide Web (www) AG is used for All Grain and AMG would be better suited for amyloglucosidase. Just the other day me a few others had this confusion.

Edited by user Monday, January 12, 2015 7:06:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked more than I can drink for this useful post.
joshua on 1/12/2015(UTC)
Offline more than I can drink  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 7:20:19 AM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Quote:
My question is, am I getting the best fermentation possible as far as the yeast?

I think the whiskey yeast will ferment granulated sugar to a certain finished alcohol content, to the point as where it would kill itself off. To check your on results you should have tested the finished frement of your wash or wart, whatever you want to call it, with a hydrometer. The reading would be self explanatory, if there was still sugar present the reading, Specific Gravity(SG) wouldn't be 1.00.

As far as turbo yeast, I feel there are better tasting yeast, goes the same for cheep baker's yeast.
thanks 1 user thanked more than I can drink for this useful post.
joshua on 1/12/2015(UTC)
Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 8:25:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
There are no nutrients in the whisky yeast packages, and a simple sugar wash does not offer the yeast any nutrition. For a sugar wash you will need to get nutrients for the yeast from somewhere, either as an additional to the wash or via turbo yeast. Without adequate nutrition the yeast will not be able to do its job.
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
joshua on 1/12/2015(UTC)
Offline joshua  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 12:59:17 PM(UTC)
joshua

Man
United States

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try some added nutrients to help the yeast with the sugar. Im having trouble getting a hydrometer reading because of the floating maize and how thick the mash is. Is there a way to get a accurate reading?
Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 1:08:18 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Quote:
Im having trouble getting a hydrometer reading because of the floating maize and how thick the mash is. Is there a way to get a accurate reading?

Draw of a bit of liquid and put it into your test case, leaving the solids behind. Make sure that you sanitize your test cylinder and whatever you are using to draw off if you intend to put the liquid back.
Offline badbill2  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 3:59:11 PM(UTC)
badbill2

I have been using turbo yeast and bakers yeast. Turbo Yeast does a great job however, when using bakers yeast,I supplement the bakers yeast with the old tried and true recipe of tomato paste and a lemon or lime cut into. No problem works fine, may take an extra day or two!