logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline falcon  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 12:11:13 PM(UTC)
falcon

Groups: Registered
Man
Canada

Fellows, I have a PSii and for a year or so I have produced 93-95% from a basic sugar wash. I have ceramic rings in the column to about 1" below top cooling line. My questions are 1)could I remove some of the rings and use copper pads in the top part of the column. 2)Second leave the rings in the column and put a copper pad in the discharge container (I use a measuring cup and proof every 200 ml). My discharge rate is usually 10-15 ml a minute. My FG in always 98.5-.99 I have read that copper will remove some of the taste/oils in the brew.
Thanks BigGrin
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 2:41:45 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I would suggest just tossing a dozen or so 1/2" copper couplings (available at any plumbing supply or home building store). They are easy to clean, will give you the desired copper in your vapor path, and not mess with the existing packing, which is obviously working well for you. Smile
Offline more than I can drink  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 7:19:21 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I started with all rings, then after a couple years I added one roll of copper with the rings, I notice a difference. I just switched from ceramic rings to all copper, once you go copper, you'll never go back. I would put the copper pads at the bottom of the column, as I would assume the reflux action would be more present at the bottom than the top giving the vapors more contact time.

Your numbers are interesting, I couldn't even come close to 900ml an hour with rings and have an output of 95%, I've never seen 95% with or without copper. I may have had 750 ml and hour and it would seldom be 180 proof. With all copper I can run 25ml a minute giving me 750ml in a half hour at an easy 186 proof and the taste is, well what taste, there is none.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 07, 2015 7:35:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline falcon  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 8:02:56 PM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

Thanks guys. One thing I did was use a voltage regulator.Played with different settings. Last run I bumped it up to 80 volts from 60 and was finished much faster with same proof. Haven't hit 95% often but a good 92-94. I also changed water supply method. was coming off the well pump but found the pressure swing had some effect. I keep a spreadsheet for every run and find it helps. My PSii has a 2" column. I was thinking of taking some ring out of the top of the column and use some copper pads or something along what "admin" suggested. How many rolls did you use "more then I can drink" for your column?
Falcon
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 8:59:32 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

I have the 3" column, I bought 5 bags in total.

One bag with the still as well as the ceramic rings, I put off using the copper at first, but after I tried the copper I bought 4 more bags from a Brewhaus distributor as he told me it takes four.

I just went and checked and I have two new unopened bags. So with that said, it takes 3 bags to fill the 3" column. I cut the copper in three equal pieces as it comes in a roll and each piece rolls up perfectly for a plug, the fourth bag you only need a piece of for the stuffing around the cooling lines at the top of the tower.

Your 2" column will only need three bags I presume.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:16:24 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

You proof every 200ml, that is often. What temp is the product coming out of the condenser at? My product is so cold I need to wait for it to warm up to get an accurate reading because when it warms up to proper temperature the reading of proof is higher.

Why are you proofing so often, is it to make cuts? If it is, you will find, if you switch to copper that is, you will be making a lot less cuts cause the copper removes so much of the taste that it's all the same.

I remember drinking what I made with ceramic rings, I thought I had a pretty good drink, but my friends snubbed their noses, now I wouldn't touch it myself. It's worth the few dollars to go copper.
Offline falcon  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 10:04:19 PM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

No real reason for me too proof as often I guess, just what I've been doing. I could proof every litre. I've never measured the produce but I would guess it around 15C or less.I have measure cooling water, in - 11C out 14C. I will add that number to the spreadsheet though, next run soon. I don't mind the taste, there is one, but I think the copper should clean it better. I wasn't impressed with the carbon cleaning, it was slow and didn't really taste the difference. I was thinking of all copper pot scrubber at the hardware store. I also found cleaning the rings every 3rd run helps, but I think the copper would remove the oil's.
For the cuts I set aside the 1st 100-150ml fire starter, save the next 3-3.5 liters, set aside a liter or so till the proof is around 35% or around column temp 87C and then make a separate water down run. I hear you proofing temp.
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 6:26:54 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

If you're still using carbon, once again I suggest going copper to save money on the unneeded carbon. I think carbon is more expense than copper, less messy and less time consuming.

thanks 1 user thanked more than I can drink for this useful post.
falcon on 1/8/2015(UTC)
Offline falcon  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 8:27:23 PM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

Appreciate the reply's "more then I can drink". I can get the copper backing as they call at a place in the city. My need trip in I'm picking up a roll of 25', told that's all I need for my unit. Wasn't impressed with the method I was using the carbon to clean. Was told today though that, if your put a cup of carbon in a two litre bottle and leave it on its side for 10 days or so, rotating the bottle, it cleans the product pretty good. Filtering the carbon through a coffee filter. I'm going with the copper backing next and go from there.
Offline Snuffy.GA  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:57:10 AM(UTC)
Snuffy.GA

I have a small reflux still and use nothing but copper scrubbers in the column. I get a product that has little in the way of heads, and tails are hard to distinguish until the temp climbs. pretty good taste too using sweet feed as a yeast food. I was using rings but in the working of my still I managed to get some rings down into the Liebig and halfway through a run it stopped up the water flow. I happened to look at the collection jar and saw nothing but vapor. Naturally I panicked and increased the water flow dramatically. It finally cleared and I got back to work. Serious for me because I use propane as a heat source and I don't need explosive vapors floating around.
I use a 1 gallon pot to hold my collection jar in. I feel it gives me extra protection against spillage and heavier than air vapors. It may have saved my banana.

PS; O'Cedar scrubbers are all copper. No need for the magnet test.
Offline falcon  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:41:01 PM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

Hey Snuffy, I'm picking some copper backing up from Lee Valley tomorrow and do a run next next week. Looking forward to testing. Will post the results later.
Offline falcon  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:31:31 AM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

I would like to report, I'll stick with copper backing for now on. What a difference. Column rock solid at 78c. Only thing, proof fell off to 88%. Low draw @ 15 ml/minute,heat set to 70 volts. I used a 25' roll in my 2", maybe I should use a bit more to increase proof? Also how often should the copper be cleaned? I use to clean the ring every 3-4 runs.
Offline Snuffy.GA  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:25:36 PM(UTC)
Snuffy.GA

clean as often or as little as you like. Some feel it is like an aluminum coffee pot, best to let it get well coated with stuff to keep unwanted flavors out.
since I use scrubbers I just replace them if they look too bad.
Offline Snuffy.GA  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:45:24 PM(UTC)
Snuffy.GA

I read over this topic and something jumped out at me. You were reporting "Only thing, proof fell off to 88%" Is it 88 ABV or 88 proof? Big difference as 88 proof is 44 ABV. The numbers sound like ABV but it was a bit confusing.
Offline falcon  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:13:52 PM(UTC)
falcon

Man
Canada

Originally Posted by: Snuffy.GA Go to Quoted Post
I read over this topic and something jumped out at me. You were reporting "Only thing, proof fell off to 88%" Is it 88 ABV or 88 proof? Big difference as 88 proof is 44 ABV. The numbers sound like ABV but it was a bit confusing.

Ahhh yes, 88 ABV. 176 Proof. I was getting 93-94 ABV with ceramic rings with the same outflow (10-15 ml/min).