logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline 5.4x4  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 01, 2014 10:28:22 AM(UTC)
5.4x4

Groups: Registered

Hey yall, I am trying my hand at distilling for the first time! Now I made a BOKA reflux still. I looked all over the internet and I am getting a little confused! Now I do have a brew place close to me, so I went to them and they really do not even like the word distilling to be said in the place. I understand that! I bought 10 lbs of corn sugar and some yeast, and he also sold me some nutriant.

Now because I have not done a wash batch, I found a recipe that simply called for 8 lbs of sugar and 14g of bakers yeast. I heated a pot of water to 120* F and dissolved all 8 lbs. I poured it into my sanitized bucket, and added water till it was at 5 gal. The temp at this point was 78.8*F, I put the gauge in and it read 1.074. At that time I put in 14g of bakers yeast and stirred it around. Will this work? Almost 24hrs and no bubbles on the vapor lock! Do I need a nutriant?

Bubbles I have bubbles coming through the vapor lock! That must be a good sign, right?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 02, 2014 4:25:15 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"I do basic sugar washes when I make lemon wine. Based on my experience it's difficult (if not impossible) to get a strong, clean, fermentation without aeration and nutrients among other things.

There are few things to try next time:

-- Use less water when you dissolve the sugar, then top-off with cold water from a faucet with an aerator. This should increase the oxygen in your wash.

-- Consider some nutrients. Yeast energizer, DAP, a crushed B-complex vitamin. Or even a can of tomato paste.

-- Make a healthy yeast starter, or pitch more dry yeast.

And make sure you have a good seal. Sometimes the airlock doesn't show activity because your fermenter is leaking CO2.

The best bet though is to stick with ""Tried and True"" recipes. Once you have some success and can repeat your success with a Tried and True, you can wander off the path to suit your interests."
Offline 5.4x4  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 02, 2014 4:36:57 AM(UTC)
5.4x4

Thanks for the reply! Will i see it stop bubbling because I did not put a nutrient in? Will I get a fermentation, just a weak one? Is it to late to add a nutrient? If I use tomato paste, will it affect the tast of the product?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 02, 2014 7:27:49 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"t's very possible that your fermentation will stall (or may not start) without adequate nutrients (and oxygen).

If fermentation has just started (or hasn't started) you can always add nutrients. Just don't overdo it. Follow the directions.

Tomato paste won't affect the flavor ... your sugar wash is for a neutral.

Heeler started a thread ""Super Simple Sugar Vodka"" in the Recipe topic. Take a look at that one -- it's a solid performer."
Offline freeze  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 4:12:22 PM(UTC)
freeze

Hello im new & wanted to say hi.
Offline Spirit Doctor  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 5:23:59 PM(UTC)
Spirit Doctor

Hello freeze, I am new as well.
Offline dieselduo  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 3:14:20 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Welcome freeze and Spirit Doctor. I'm sure you will enjoy the forum
Offline Spirit Doctor  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 3:40:46 AM(UTC)
Spirit Doctor

I have enjoyed it for some time now. Finally joined up. Something I have been meaning to do for a while ..