logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:28:08 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

"Let me start to say I am just a beginner. I have completed 6 washes and this run was a 4th gen. sweet feed wash with rye added. 10 gallon wash, 10 lbs. SF, 2 lbs. rye, and 12 lbs. sugar. Steeped the SF and rye for 1 hour in 2 gallons hot backset, melted sugar, cooled wash to 85F and added to fermenter. Aerated for 15 minutes with drill blender and capped off. SG was 1.082. Wash bubbled for 3 weeks. let clear for 4th week. FG was .996. so ran it on Black Friday.
Pulled off 8 oz. fores at 178F. collected in 6 oz. jars. First jar was 170p, which smelled like fores.
jars 2 and 3 were 152 p, jars 4 thru 8 were 150 p. all these jars came off at 184F. Proof dropped off a couple % each jar till jar 20 which was 135p and I could smell the tails. Jar 20 was collected at 189F.
My pot still has been really consistent with temp and proof to within a couple of %. The previous runs have all been rather predictable with regards to the constant temp rise and dropping proof. This one has me puzzled as to why the temp held for so long and the proof is so much higher than previous runs. never shut down the run with tails at so low of a temp before, but I figured if I smell tails, I'm done. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this run came off so differently as the earlier ones? Thanks, B."
Offline Backwash  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 9:07:44 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Just a bump. Any Ideas why the tails would come at 187F and at 135 P? And what about the proof holding for 5 or 6 jars of 200 ml of product? Trying to understand this one. Thanks, B.
Offline scooterf  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2014 11:04:57 AM(UTC)
scooterf

Sounds like you are learning to run your still better as time goes on. I am no expert and still learning myself. If you are using gas as I do getting the temp right makes alot of difference. Said you had a 10 gal. wash and looks like you converted about 11%. Good job.
Offline Backwash  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2014 6:28:49 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Scoot, Thanks for the comments. I use propane for heating the boiler. I run a pot still. a bit tricky to get the temp just right, but once you have it, it just runs out as it needs to. Learning to adjust the heat input to the product coming out is a good way to control the still. Collect in small jars and set aside in order of takeoff, then let set to air out before you decide which jars to keep and which to chuck. This hobby is a lot of fun. B.
Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2014 1:38:46 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I run a lot of SF's - that long plateau is fairly normal, even in 5th-6th+ washes as I always add toss in's and backset from previous runs... It's even better once you oak it. I see the same behavior on both the BH PSII (In pot mode) as well as a 6 plate unit. In the plate unit I cut the number of plates to preserve the flavor profile and still get a good reflux to compress the heads as well.

But scientifically speaking, BW... the amount of time is proportional to the etoh content of the washes when you started and the power setting u used. Those variables can be fed into a formula to forecast that time line, but what you will find is nature takes her sweet time with the distillation process. The thermal dynamics of the wash change as the distillation process takes place simply from etoh molecules exiting via the differing factions they exist in. As the etoh goes, she heats up... But no two washes are exactly the same either BigGrin
Offline Backwash  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:25:59 AM(UTC)
Backwash

RCRed, Thanks for the confirmation. I run a 15 gallon keg boiler and copper pot still head with a 32 inch Liebig condenser 3/4 inch over 1/2 inch. I have seen the temp plateaus before, but not for this extended period. I installed a thermometer and I find knowing the temperature of the vapor is useful in knowing where in the run I am at. I also test the proof on each 8 oz. jar that comes off so I have a running record of the ABV as the run progresses. I have a feeling that I could have run the tails out for quite a while, but I did pull 1.5 qts of 67% off that smelled nice so I was happy.
Next day I started a 10 gal. cornflake wash. It smelling great so far. Thanks again for the help, B.