logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Long Tall Sally  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:30:46 PM(UTC)
Long Tall Sally

Groups: Registered

Offline Long Tall Sally  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:08:36 PM(UTC)
Long Tall Sally

Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:51:33 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I didn't read your post because its a bit long-- we are all hobbyists -- ill bets a bit shorter simpler question will get plenty of responses
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 3:08:16 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Howdy, just a few changes I would consider making.

I say take the insulation off the tower for one.....

second, you said SS scrubbers, I say remove the SS and add copper mesh, that stuff is there for a reason. Now the SS may indeed cause some reflux but the term scrubbers is really what the copper does to the vapor that passes by it. SS wont do that tho.

The coil in the very top looks like some kind of condenser ( I know what it's supposed to be) and so does what's banded to the tower, you don't need two, it only take's one to condense vapor back to a liquid.

There's no reason you can't make that work, but get rid of all the extra stuff - tidey it up ya know? It's not gonna make better likker cause you run it through all kinds of shit on the still. That tower on a keg will do just fine with one condenser so figger out which one you want and go with it. If you remove the one form the top just add a cap to that and the liebig would do I'm sure.

I found when I started building stuff it just kept on going - first a still then half a dozen parrots then another still or three.....Get this one to work and learn to run it then think about building another ----- by then you will know what works and what doesn't.. Happy Hoochin, Tim
Offline Long Tall Sally  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:15:50 AM(UTC)
Long Tall Sally

Thanks Heeler for the advise. Scotty, you didn't read my post! Because it was too long? Really? And you are a Moderator!? it wasn't near as long as some I have read in here. You sounded pissed and gave me absolutely no 'Hobbyist' info at all. I will keep my post tight, short and to the point from now on. Thanks

LTS
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:23:59 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I was confused by the liebig as well ... but it looks like what John Stone refers to as a "Mexican Cactus" (or "offset head"). I'm not sure if you have a copy of John Stone's "Making Gin & Vodka - A Professional Guide for Amateur Distillers" ... but it's a great reference. Just use your favorite search engine with the term "Making Gin & Vodka" and you should find several pdf links. The book has some nice drawings & pictures, etc.

In any case, if you're using a needle valve at the product take-off, you shouldn't need a second condenser (as heeler already suggested above). It won't hurt having it ... but it shouldn't be necessary.

BTW: You can get copper mesh from our forum sponsor for a very fair price. You can also get it from amazon, occasionally at places like Home Depot or Lowes, and it's sometimes referred to as "Rat Guard" or "Pest Mesh" or something like that (used to keep rodents out).
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:30:15 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Long Tall Sally Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Heeler for the advise. Scotty, you didn't read my post! Because it was too long? Really? And you are a Moderator!? it wasn't near as long as some I have read in here. You sounded pissed and gave me absolutely no 'Hobbyist' info at all. I will keep my post tight, short and to the point from now on. Thanks

LTS

Snapping off at a moderator...hmmmm
Let me try and guess who ur ex boyfriend
Was that got kicked off HDA? This seems all to familiar!
Offline Long Tall Sally  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 5:39:45 AM(UTC)
Long Tall Sally

Wow, sorry Heeler. My opinion is 'snapping off'? I told him I would try and do better. 'Try and guess'? Just what is this turning into? I wish I would had not mentioned any reference to home distiller. I would have never guessed it would be thrown in my face here. I guess I'll pack it in. I can't stay if questioning the actions of a moderator is snapping off or something that happened on a different forum 'seems all to familiar'. Damn, I sure needed the help. Merry Christmas everyone
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 5:50:46 AM(UTC)
scotty

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression
Don't use heelers reply as an excuse for anything you do-- we all speak honestly and actually never fight-- so please continue to post