logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cork  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 01, 2014 7:20:00 AM(UTC)
cork

Groups: Registered

"I know there are a thousand threads on here concerning cuts so I figure I might as well ask my question. I run a valved reflux rig. I use a 5 gal SF mash that I let ferment until all grains sink and there are no bubbles. (my hydrometer got broken). I strain the mash and let it set another week to 10 days. When I am ready to cook I siphon off the wash leaving the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bucket. Usually everything goes pretty smoothly. I get around 8 8oz jars. After I collect the foreshots (which started at 135 column temp this time) I run total reflux for at least 90 min to 2 hours them start collecting. I shut down at about 198. I let the jars sit with a coffee filter over the top for a couple of day. I have a real problem with detecting heads. Tails are easy but heads are hard. My first jars are stronger but don't have a bad taste or smell. Does running in total reflux like I do dilute the heads? I proof down to about 40 - 45 abv.

Thanks for all the help that has been given me in the past. It is appreciated."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 02, 2014 4:33:29 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cork Go to Quoted Post
Does running in total reflux like I do dilute the heads?

"Compress" is probably the word you're looking for ... rather than "dilute." But yes, running full reflux for a period can help compress the heads.

If you're having trouble finding your heads cut, try diluting your sample a bit more ... say 25% - 30% ... and take as much time as you need to clear your palate ... there's no rush. :)
Offline Shine NOLA  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 02, 2014 4:08:25 PM(UTC)
Shine NOLA

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
how much foreshots are you getting? Are you converting the grain or adding sugar to up the ABV?
what proof are the 8 jars you collected? but it sounds like your doing something right.