logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2014 9:07:06 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

I want to do a UJSSM with a sour corn starter. Do I add the starter to the strike water after boiling, or dump it in the wash just before pitching yeast? Thanks, B.
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:34:42 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I think you got the terminology mixed up.....a starter ---IS--- the yeast addition. That would be added after the wash is cooled below 85-90F.

Are you sure you boil the UJSSM recipe??? I think you just pour the very hot water over your grain bill and all the other goodies you choose, then when it cools add your yeast or a starter if you choose to go that route.

Not sure what a sour corn starter is unless you mean you are making a starter with soured corn which is possible."
Offline Backwash  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 4:35:52 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

Heeler, Thanks for the reply. The sour corn starter is some corn in quart jars that you let ferment for a week prior to adding to the corn wash, like UJSSM. The starter has the lactic acid bacteria already in it and helps to lower the pH of the wash. Read up on this on the HD site. It sounds like it helps to get the sour wash working on the first generation as opposed to using the backset in gen 1 to get the sour wash. B.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:28:01 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Ahhhhh, I've done this recipe quite a bit but I've never done the sour starter, I'm not saying it wont work I'm just saying I've never done it that way. I do understand the theory behind the sour deal now that I ponder it some.
Hope it works for you, I never did like the - sour - part of the equation but a million folks do. Anyway happy hoochin."