logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 6:20:15 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

"I started building a new 3"" VM/LM boka for running my feints from my plate column. I decided to make the top portion, where the condenser goes, out of 3"" borosilicate glass tubing so I can mess with the condenser's cooling flow rate. I also would like to try different types of condensers, so I figured the best way to experiment would be if I could watch the whole condenser while I'm running. The LM takeoff is 1/2"" tubing with a stainless needle valve and the VM takeoff is 1"" with a full-port 1"" stainless ball valve. This will be mounted on my 3"" packed reflux column, which is about 80"" with both sections. I'll be running copper mesh, stainless scrubbers, rachig rings, and (eventually when I finally make some) stainless SPP since I have them all already. I imagine that I'll stick with the SPP once I try that out, but currently lean toward copper mesh for packed columns. The liebig is 30"" of 1"" pipe over 3/4"" pipe with copper wire spiraled the entire length of the 1"". Tri-clamps on everything because I love them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]983[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]984[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]985[/ATTACH]"
RandyMarshCT attached the following image(s):
20140709_215448.jpg (199kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
20140709_215421(a).jpg (184kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
20140709_215339.jpg (198kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 6:22:12 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Oh yeah... the packing materials will be run separately, as separate trials, to see what works best with this particular head.

The way I wrote it, it sounds like I'm using them all at once.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 10:49:30 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I missed the question :)
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 11:36:55 PM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Haha, sorry. I guess the question is, what should I have done differently? I'm used to posting stuff on HD and just waiting for the backlash. Learning on the defensive.

I know a lot of people are doing RLM designs and wanted to incorporate RLM into this head, but didn't have enough room.... hence the coupling below the plates. Even after I added the coupling, I decided it was too much work and left it as is. I was going to loop the LM tubing back into the column right before the needle valve with a Tee and have the liquid return into the column via a 1/2" 90* elbow at the same height as the needle valve. I decided that was too much work for now.

I haven't run VM before so that will be a new experience for me. Any advice?