logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2004 4:39:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I have a stainless beer keg with a hot water heater element for a heat source. I have three detachable heads; a pot still head, a reflux head with ceramic rings and a fractionating head with stainless pot scrubbers ,cactus,. Whats the best setup for brandy? Should I take the scrubbers out of the fractionating still or leave them in? Should I use the pot still head? I'm ruling out the reflux head. I'd like to retain a lot of the flavor, so I'm guessing pot still, but since you can make a flavorfull whiskey with the cactus head??? Any suggestions? What about the cut?
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2004 1:36:48 AM(UTC)

if you are running at 2kW or more the scrubbers wont make much difference if you have no forced reflux and an insulated column. you will want some copper in the vapour flow for brandy to remove off flavours. is the fracionating column copper? if so i would run it unpacked & uninsulated at low power, this will best replicate a traditional brandy still.

as for the cut all i can recommend is collecting in small bottles and blending later
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2004 1:57:52 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the response. The element is 950W and the column is copper. Unpacked and uninsulated fractionating column it is! I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
#4 Posted : Friday, June 04, 2004 3:12:16 PM(UTC)

3 still heads ! That must be neat. If a guy had enough patience to distill something three times through a pot still, he sure would have something good at the end. I run brandy myself, ,alcohol made from fruit not grain, right?, I have a 5 gal. copper pot with a 2' X 2' column packed with copper scrubbers and about 8 oz. of marbles above the cooling tube. Each time I run I try a different recipe and I can tell the difference in taste at the end. So, in short, yes you can make a flavorful whiskey with a column still. Watch your temp.
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2004 12:09:39 PM(UTC)

what is the highest temp you can go?
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2004 12:09:21 PM(UTC)

Normally I try not to exceed 185F. When I do, it starts to become cloudy and taste bad.
#7 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2005 7:53:24 PM(UTC)

I CONCURR NO MORE THAN 185F