logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 5:47:57 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Things seem pretty quiet the past few weeks, so I thought I'd share a few pics of my applewine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]974[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]975[/ATTACH]

I started this batch back in February and finally had a chance to bottle ... but figured I'd pull a few ounces for sampling ... first time using D-47. It tastes pretty good ... much more ""wine like"" than with EC-1118 or Pasteur Champagne.

Now it's time for a long summer nap so it's ready for the fall.

--JB"
John Barleycorn attached the following image(s):
aw-1.jpg (154kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
aw-2.jpg (110kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 6:47:10 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

I've always made my ciders with 1118 or the Pasteur champagne, shot for appx 10% abv (I imagine this would possibly make it a wine?), and went as dry as possible (~0.998). I've never experimented with other wine yeasts, mostly because I don't know much about them and also because there are so many. I've used DYW-72 from More Wine for mead, but never tried it with a cider ferment.

Do you age yours on oak? The cider mill I buy my cider from makes excellent apple wine and they age everything in (55g) oak barrels for at least a year. I've never done it, myself. You seem to get beautiful clarity... do you use any fining agents? I used sparkolloid last year and I feel like it took some of the flavor away. I'll probably just try to cold crash this year. Our cider mill opens up for the season in August, so I'm looking forward to this fall's batch.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 7:22:59 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"I'll have to hit you up for information on that cider mill. I expect to be up your way the weekend of October 11. My palate is not very refined, so I need to find some good applewine/cider sources for training.

I've used bentonite in the past, but on this batch I used sparkolloid. I applied it when I stablized immediately after degassing. I let this one clear for three weeks in the refer then racked, back-sweetened and let it sit. I back-sweetened this one with some clear store bought AJ ... so if I lost any flavor, the AJ would compensate. I need to start sampling prior to back-sweetening so I have a better sense as to what is really happening.

The D-47 was recommended by a fellow at the LHBS so I gave it a whirl. There were some rhino farts with this yeast ... never had any using 1118/Pasteur Champagne. Based on the data sheet, the D-47 appears to be less forgiving with the O2 requirements ... but I'm not sure if that was the issue. In any case, the D-47 produced that more snappy flavor and pleasant aroma (sort-of like a white) than the 1118/PC. With the 1118/PC I end up treating with some Malic & Citric acid since those yeasts always seem to give me a flatter flavor ... I've been using all store bought AJ/AJC this winter, so that's probably the #1 culprit for the flat flavor though.

As for the oak ... no barrels here ... maybe some day ... I need to improve my skills considerably before I make that investment.Sad But I have some cubed oak sticks sitting in grey goose right now ... a mix of dark and light toast. They're packed tight ... so the essence will probably be quite strong in flavor. The plan is to experiment with a few drops in the glass to see if it's a reasonable substitute."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 7:44:01 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"I forgot ... I just use the term ""apple wine"" since what I make seems to fit the description in the BJCP Guidelines. I suppose I've made a few New England Ciders, but I like it a little sweet:

Quote:
28C. Applewine

The term for this category is traditional but possibly misleading: it is simply a cider with substantial added sugar to achieve higher alcohol than a common cider.

Aroma/Flavor: Comparable to a Common Cider. Cider character must be distinctive. Very dry to slightly medium.

Appearance: Clear to brilliant, pale to medium-gold. Cloudiness or hazes are inappropriate. Dark colors are not expected unless strongly tannic varieties of fruit were used.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than other ciders, because higher alcohol is derived from addition of sugar rather than juice. Carbonation may range from still to champagne-like.

Overall Impression: Like a dry white wine, balanced, and with low astringency and bitterness.

Comments: Entrants MUST specify carbonation level (still, petillant, or sparkling). Entrants MUST specify sweetness (dry or medium).

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.070 - 1.100
FG: 0.995 - 1.010
ABV: 9 - 12%

Commercial Examples: [US] AEppelTreow Summer"s End (WI), Wandering Aengus Pommeau (OR), Uncle John"s Fruit House Winery Fruit House Apple (MI), Irvine's Vintage Ciders (WA)
"
Offline melvin  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 1:35:17 PM(UTC)
melvin

Looks very nice.BigGrin
Offline LisaMast  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 3:48:10 AM(UTC)
LisaMast

This is divine. My husband loves the Archie Rose Vodka and Gin, This would be a surprise for him this Christmas.

Edited by user Friday, October 30, 2015 3:49:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified