logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline flht01  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 01, 2014 3:07:16 AM(UTC)
flht01

Groups: Registered

I'm fermenting my first attempt at wine (prepackage kit) and have been reading up on the bottling recommendations. Most if not all suggest corking and I have a question before investing in the equipment. I'm not planning on doing a lot of these kits and the initial cost of the bottling equipment can add up, especially if the better quality floor corker is selected. I don't mind that so much if corking is one of the preferred methods for spirits too. I haven't seen much mentioned on bottling spirits after oaking is done, how are most of you doing it?

------------------------

Ok, I'll go ahead and say it ....

Learn to use the Search function, dummy ...

Found a similar thread with the answer.
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 12:57:32 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

I bottle my spirits in screw cap bottles (flasks) that I buy from Freund Container (not inexpensive). They are made for spirits. I also have wine bottling equipment that I use for mead. I use a hand corker and it works well. I've bottled 100 wine bottles with it in one session and it was no problem. I don't know the price difference between the hand corker and the floor corker, but if you don't plan on doing a lot of wine that is one place where you may be able to save money.

I have corked spirits before and it seems to work well, but I like the flask bottles and the screw caps can be easily re-applied until the bottle is empty. Sometimes I also use the tasting caps for wine bottles. No corker necessary with those, but I don't think they're good for long term storage.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 2:22:37 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I only cork wine- I have the Portuguese floor corker for a few years now. - I couldn't see spending more money for the Italian. Be sure to sanitize the bottles well. Be sure you stabilize the wine as directed and store laying down. I use kits all the time and also welches frozen concentrates.
Note I have used the hand corker without problems many times.

Look here http://www.midwestsuppli...double-lever-corker.html

UserPostedImage
Offline flht01  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2014 1:14:02 PM(UTC)
flht01

Thanks for the replies. I should have an order showing up soon (thanks to "The Home Brewery") with the corking supplies and a few bottles along with another kit.

Scotty, how are you sanitizing the bottles? I'm using BH sanitizer for the ferment bucket and carboy's.

As far as spirits, I think corking a few bottles for long term aging will help prevent the urge to open for a "sip" here and there.

I probably should start a new thread for this question but ...
Do you ever add a little neutral to the wine when bottling to help perk it up a little?
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 06, 2014 12:23:41 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I use sodium metabisulfite solution.for sanitizing. If I want a stronger wine, first, I take a P.A. reading and than add sugar to boost the end result.

I have been using this software for years. It is helpful for spirits also.

http://winecalc.software.informer.com/