logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline 5brothers  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 01, 2014 4:48:56 AM(UTC)
5brothers

Groups: Registered

I have made several runs, only a couple of re-runs so to speak. My average proof on initial run is 90 - 110 proof. I read on here of stripper runs, proof runs, etc. What are these runs, are they necessary, what does ujssm stand for?
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 01, 2014 4:56:17 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
what kind of rig are you running ? when my proof gets that low I'm usually into the tails
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 01, 2014 4:57:35 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Offline 5brothers  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 01, 2014 6:06:01 AM(UTC)
5brothers

I have a 12 quart stainless pot still with a worm condensor.
Offline Hokey  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 01, 2014 10:01:48 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello 5brothers. Stripping runs are used to simply decrease the volume of your wash. they are run at high heat and fast collection rate. I collect down to 15% or so and use some of the back-set for the next wash. They are not meant to be drunk. Most do several batches of stripping runs and when they have enough volume to charge/fill their still they put all the stripping runs together and do a spirit run with low heat and slow collection rate and collecting in small jars. Thus being able to make better cuts after the run is finished and the jars have aired out for a day or two. There is a lot more info on the subject. Just search "stripping run, or spirit run" in the search box at the top of the page.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 4:48:40 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

5Brothers, this may be a personal preference thing, but I personally have never done stripping runs. I'm sure there are some connisseurs out there who would frown at me for that, but running a PSII in pot mode with just a tad of reflux, I generally get 2-3 quarts of 145-160 out of a 6 gallon still charge. No mouth burn, goes down smooth, everyone who's tried it has been pretty pleased. I actually use cracked corn though, not just sugar wash. I generally cut with bottled water down to 90 or 100 proof though.
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:31:15 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: 5brothers Go to Quoted Post
I have a 12 quart stainless pot still with a worm condensor.

Dude with four other brothers you guys need a bigger still than that to keep everybody happy.....hehehe...

Just kiddin, with a 3 gallon still you should prolly get around a quart or less of good keepers. That's assuming you made cuts and did'nt collect in one jar. No matter the still size you still need to seperate all that comes out so you can get the good stuff by itself.
Try running that kinda rig really slow and maybe that will concentrate the distillate more and give a higher starting proof. And remember use lots of small containers to collect your distillate and then combine to taste the next day."