logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:59:06 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

"while fitting the column to the kettle top, I came across a clearance problem. My condenser will hit the edge of the kettle. Now I planned to run the condenser vertical, but can install at 45 degree. The condenser makes the assembly top heavy and puts a torque on the fitting on the kettle lid.
I was think about running the column up about 10 inches and putting a 45 in the column, then keep the condenser parallel to the slanted column with a brace. Any problem with a slanted column? I want to keep the bottom 10 inch section clear so copper packing can be installed as sulphide scrubbers. The slanted column will help in centering the top weight so the loading on the lid is more equal.
Would the slant pose a problem to the vapor travel as opposed to a vertical column? Thanks, B"
Offline Hokey  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:44:03 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Backwash. A slanted column is not a problem. I've seen a 45 up and then 45 back down. Longer, obviously, to be able to get to the collection jar. Some still makers even claim that they give extra re-flux because of the slant. That may be but I'm not sure I buy it.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:37:18 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I'm just adding this to say a slant tower does work but I can't say it has the exact reflux capability of a true reflux tower....
UserPostedImage"
Offline Backwash  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:39:47 PM(UTC)
Backwash

Heeler, Thanks for the pictures. ON the keg fitting the o-ring flange just clamps on the existing keg flange and then you adapted the copper pipe to the o-ring flange? How do you fasten your column to the copper pipe coming out of the keg? B.
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:47:24 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"The tower is 2 inch copper and the ferrel is welded to a 2 inch coupling. You clamp the ferrel to the keg then the tower just stands right into the coupling.....insert and go, can you see it now?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage"
Offline Backwash  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 3:21:51 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Heeler, Thanks, I get it now. wasn't sure how you mated the copper to the SS. and if you had a way to fasten column to the coupler, just a slip fit. Thanks for the pictures. B