logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline swalter418  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 12:25:36 PM(UTC)
swalter418

Groups: Registered

"Hello All,

What is the best heat source for the PSII - 15 gallons? I am wondering if the 1500 watt plate will be hot enough for the cold weather in the northeast (Late Fall / early Winter).

Thank you"
Offline ratflinger  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:18:48 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

I think you'll be in for a looooong process. Propane or WH elements are probably the best sources for a kettle this big. I thought the time on my 8 gal & the 1500w hot plate was excessive and was looking for alternatives when Rick came out with the 15 gal. I have WH elements in mine & it works exceptionally well.
Offline Maddawgs  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:49:28 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: swalter418 Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

What is the best heat source for the PSII - 15 gallons? I am wondering if the 1500 watt plate will be hot enough for the cold weather in the northeast (Late Fall / early Winter).

Thank you

I have the 15 gallon. With two 2000w 110v internal heating elements it takes about 45 minutes to heat 12 gallons.
Maddawgs
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:55:04 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I opted for a blichmann after trying two runs with the 1500w plate... I too have the 15g kettle. It only cost me three banjo lessons and the world is probably a better place because of it BigGrin
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:45:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

insulate the boiler :)
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 5:23:16 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
insulate the boiler :)
That helped me some on run 2 - But I was unable to bypass the theromostat-- Domestic management disallowed the change stating she didnt want a fried shiner...I do not fear corporate, but I do domestic management as she has far greater power over me..rather, certain pleasures I am allowed to enjoy on occasion..

She asked me what it'd take, I said Blichmann..She said "Get it, but don't blow up the Barn"...Umm.. You understand, right, scotty? Wink

Am I whipped? Yes, probably, but then agin, I kin do what I want as long as it's safe Wink And ya know what? A man can cook up a "fine" armadillo stew with that burner too Wink
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:08:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: swalter418 Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

Thank you

The 1500 watt hot plate is for smaller stills. In fact the most I'd go is 5 gallons or less on a 1500 watt hot plate. Get this burner (just highlight the web address and copy it, then paste it into your internet browser) :

http://www.homebrewing.o...-220000-BTU-_p_3214.html

I've had it for almost 2 years now without any problems. It takes about 20 minutes (19 to be exact), to bring 15 gallons of water to a boil using this burner. Now if you're interested in using an electric heating element, then I'd recomend you look at those used in hot water heaters. Here's another tip for you. Since you've got the 15 gallon kettle, I recomend that you get a 50 gallon plastic storage bin if you plan on using re-ciruclated water to cool your condensor. The reason is because that the water will go in cold but come out hot and the submerisble water pumps can't handle hot water that good. Ice will help out alot, but it won't be enough if you don't have enough cooling water. If you get one this size, you'll never have cooling problem unless your pump quits which shouldn't happen with a good quality submerisble pump.
Offline RCRed  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:29:00 AM(UTC)
RCRed

a blichmann burner will give greater control. The burner cast it self is BIGGER than the entire unit KM is describing.

The Blichmann allows down to just a micro dot flame control and it has a HUGE surface area of flame vents. I had one of those propane burners and sold it because It was not as adjustable as I wanted and burned thru fuel like a kid thru candy.

http://www.northernbrewe...chmann-floor-burner.html
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 4:16:49 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
a blichmann burner will give greater control. The burner cast it self is BIGGER than the entire unit KM is describing.

The Blichmann allows down to just a micro dot flame control and it has a HUGE surface area of flame vents. I had one of those propane burners and sold it because It was not as adjustable as I wanted and burned thru fuel like a kid thru candy.

http://www.northernbrewe...chmann-floor-burner.html

Yeah Blichmann does make a good burner. The one have is adjustable, but not as much as the Blichmann is. I couldn't afford the Blichmann, so this was the next best thing to it. Mine does use quite a bit of fuel, but not as much as people think.
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:13:41 AM(UTC)
RCRed

For 40 dollars more....I waited and got the blichmann... It's so stingy on fuel, it's unbelievable! I get about three runs outa one bottle, that's pretty good compared to a buddy who can only get about 1.5 runs.. but he does have a larger boiler, so it ain' really fair to compare..
Offline John Barleycorn  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 7:13:29 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Red,

I have a Blichmann that I use for brewing. I was worried about how much gas I would be using. I weight the bottle after each use and found that I burn 3 lbs per batch ... so I'm getting more than I expected ... but I have nothing to compare it to ... not sure if that's good, bad, or middling.

--JB"
Offline RCRed  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:10:33 AM(UTC)
RCRed

I never thought to weigh the durn thing....*rollseyes* :)

I'm about to start a new bottle so I'll do that.
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:34:47 PM(UTC)

For 40 dollars more....I waited and got the blichmann... It's so stingy on fuel, it's unbelievable! I get about three runs outa one bottle, that's pretty good compared to a buddy who can only get about 1.5 runs.. but he does have a larger boiler, so it ain' really fair to compare..

That's awesome about the low fuel consumption. I'm going to a smaller still myself. In fact I just phoned an order in for the 3 gallon boiler this morning. That'll be my next thread. I've got to look at hotplates next. I'll check and see what Rick has on those.
Offline RCRed  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 2:08:44 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: knightmare1015 Go to Quoted Post
That's awesome about the low fuel consumption. Blichmann must be on sale again because at the time I got my burner, it was about $70 bucks cheaper..
No, I just compared the price agin the link you posted and the Northern brewers site for the blichmann before I posted.. It is listing for 149 now versus 99.99 .. Yes, last year it was more. But, for the savings in fuel it extra 40 is paid for quickly in less trips to the propane guy. It also cooks a 5 gal pot of Chili or Pulled wild pork very nicely as well.
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 2:18:14 PM(UTC)

No, I just compared the price agin the link you posted and the Northern brewers site for the blichmann before I posted.. It is listing for 149 now versus 99.99 .. Yes, last year it was more. But, for the savings in fuel it extra 40 is paid for quickly in less trips to the propane guy. It also cooks a 5 gal pot of Chili or Pulled wild pork very nicely as well.

Mine used about half of a 20 pound cylinder to fry a turkey last year. It's really not bad on gas. Northern Brewer has got a couple of boiling bags I want. The moment my 3 gallon boiler arrives, I'll post a photo up of my "table top distillery" once I get it set up.
Offline Shining  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 12:34:38 AM(UTC)
Shining

Great info. I've got the PSII also and about to run my 1st batch of dwwg. Trying to decide on heating options, still cold temps. here.
I've seen several threads on insulating. I went to the box store but didn't find anything that I would use. It's time to do. More reading and come up with a better way.
#17 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 12:37:54 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Shining Go to Quoted Post
Great info. I've got the PSII also and about to run my 1st batch of dwwg. Trying to decide on heating options, still cold temps. here.
I've seen several threads on insulating. I went to the box store but didn't find anything that I would use. It's time to do. More reading and come up with a better way.

You'll love it I promise. I've not used mine with alcohol just yet, but I have used it distilling some water and it performed great.