logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:27:01 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"So no worries I'll just change up the style of airlock for now to the old faithfull until the most vigoris part of the ferment is past.
Ok were still in a holding pattern.Cool
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#22 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 4:05:40 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Well were at four days and I took a peek cause I wanted to stir the cap back down into the goodies. It's still kickin in the airlock so it's not done yet and the temp here has been really great for this, my garage was 69F this morning and outside was 56F, now the really important stuff my ferm/chiller was 71F inside that should make this as good as it can be. In a few days I'll prolly let this warm up to the mid 70's but not much more. So ---- I'm still waiting.......Cool
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:18:50 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ok so here we are at only 11 days and the airlock is still popping every so often but not much. I think its still got some time left but just for fun I got a hydrometer out to measure and it says --1.000-.999 You look at it and see if you can see exactly which it is. As far as I'm concerned it's very close to completion but I can't run it until next week anyway but no worries it'll be just fine until then. That will give it time to finish for sure and settle out the peach bits that might be in suspension. I think this finished so fast cause I used so much yeast but I'm hoping for the best in the finished product so we'll see next week.
Remember the farther the hydro sinks the thinner the wash is because the yeast ate all the avaliable sugar and turned it into c02 and etoh.Cool
I bet this is gonna be goodCool
[URL=http://s921.photobucket.com/user/heelroper/media/0032-2.jpg.html]UserPostedImage[/UL]"
Offline dieselduo  
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:56:15 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
looks done to me, I like the hydrometer with the red in range on it
Offline heeler  
#25 Posted : Saturday, March 08, 2014 4:08:27 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Just shy of 2 weeks and my brandy wash is done so I'm gonna run it today. Here I'm transfering it to my boiler and you can see all the solids have settled out, or at least most all and what was still floating I just dipped out. It's pretty thick in the bottom and I'm sure not gonna suck all that goop into my boiler so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna loose some but oh well. Now remember, all the alcohol is on top so start sucking from the top to get the most good stuff.

I'll get ta cooking soonCool
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#26 Posted : Saturday, March 08, 2014 4:25:16 AM(UTC)
heeler

"So this is how the run started out...the highest proof is the foreshots and heads no doubt and of course I threw all that mess out. And the next shot is the start of the hearts so this might be allright but still we'll have to wait and see until the morning for the final tally on the total amount and the taste test.Blushing
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage"

Edited by user Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:14:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline heeler  
#27 Posted : Saturday, March 08, 2014 5:38:40 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is how fast I like to collect when I'm running something like a brandy, so it will push or pull all the flavor it can over with the distillate. Still not sure how it's gonna be but in the morning I'll test her out.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:06:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

Man was this run a success...I bet I got 3 qt's of keepers cause I pushed way up into the tails (tails is high temp) cause I'm gonna use what I can as flavor but not so much as to get the greasy tails of the run. In the morning after I figger out whats what I'll add em up and see for sure it I got any flavor careover to speak of.
I think you can see the qt's and half pint jars thats the likker but the other stuff in the background well that just overburden in the locker.Cool
UserPostedImage
Offline heeler  
#29 Posted : Sunday, March 09, 2014 3:04:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

"So after making my cuts and combining the good stuff I was a little off on what I thought I could keep. Still no worries though. I got three qt's of 100 proof hooch to the good. Most of the little jars that you saw I was gonna try to use for the extra flavor but once I got to cuttin and eyeballin em I said no way....not what I want in my drinkin stock, [COLOR=""#FF0000""]you'll see why in a minute.[/COLOR]
I also did'nt get quite the fruity aroma and flavor that I expected (dammit) maybe the mesh in the tower or maybe the slant reflux took away too much. I did'nt think the tower would remove that much but maybre the combo of the two --- IDK. It is very - OK - though I just wanted MORE P/M aroma. And I left this at 100 proof, maybe I should cut it some more??????
Anyway this is the best of the best and it aint bad so I'll call this run a success.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#30 Posted : Sunday, March 09, 2014 3:11:19 AM(UTC)
heeler

"All but 2 of those little jars were combined to make the jar on the right - pretty yucky huh....thats a perfect example of greasy tails. I spent an extra hour to get it and now I'm not gonna add it but oh well. Hopfully someone will see that and recognize why we dont want tails in our hooch or at least why we make cuts and dont collect in one big jug.Cool
The left is the good stuff and the right is tails.UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#31 Posted : Sunday, March 09, 2014 3:14:32 AM(UTC)
heeler

Ya know I bet if I would have used a goose neck tower and no mesh - and added some of the goop from the fermenter to the boiler -- then used only the gas fire and not the internal element it would have created more of the fruit flavor in the finished product...arrrggghhhhhh. Oh well maybe someone else will try it and see what happens for them. I gueess I wasn't thinkiing ............maybe next time.
Offline epicdoom  
#32 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 12:51:18 PM(UTC)
epicdoom

Nice run Heeler, Goose neck style arm gives me much better flavor I bet it would have made yours better. I have 10 gal of peaches bubblin away rite now gonna make peach shine from it and add that back to my peach pie. I run a short traditional pot still to get the most flavor, does a much better job then using a short unpacked column. I'm headed to my local shop tomorrow to buy the goose neck pot still arm for my new Brewhaus kettle, hopefully it will work as good and I can retire the copper pot still. I was just gonna order it but my local shop has it in stock. I also want to try your recipe here for some brandy so looks like Ill be headed to the supermarket also. I don't wanna Hijack your post here so I'll start a new on my peach run. I'm gonna be using a lot of peaches for syrup and such and like to add that to a run for flavoring as well makes a nice sweetend peach flavored likker.
Offline heeler  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:26:06 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
So after making my cuts and combining the good stuff I was a little off on what I thought I could keep. Still no worries though. I got three qt's of 100 proof hooch to the good. Most of the little jars that you saw I was gonna try to use for the extra flavor but once I got to cuttin and eyeballin em I said no way....not what I want in my drinkin stock, you'll see why in a minute.
I also did'nt get quite the fruity aroma and flavor that I expected (dammit) maybe the mesh in the tower or maybe the slant reflux took away too much. I did'nt think the tower would remove that much but maybre the combo of the two --- IDK. It is very - OK - though I just wanted MORE P/M aroma. And I left this at 100 proof, maybe I should cut it some more??????
Anyway this is the best of the best and it aint bad so I'll call this run a success.
UserPostedImage

I opened these guys up to take a little taste (it's been a few days now) and I'll be dogged if they didn't have a pretty good aroma and flavor. It wasn't overpowering but it sure was there and pretty good too. After rethinking my stillin method I could have done things a little differntly but the likker isn't a failure so no worries."
Offline poppy-cob  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:44:18 PM(UTC)
poppy-cob

Yo H......I love what you've done with your progress and photos......FINNALLY I have something to compare to....NOW I know I'm doing it right........you have always gave good advice to people who need it, including me, I know because I follow your post.........because of where I live I can't just run down the street and ask for advice.......I wished more people post with pics.......I hear they're worth a thousand words............Thanks again H
Offline epicdoom  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:47:36 PM(UTC)
epicdoom

awesome and I bet its just keeps getting better over time. I remember a run of strawberry I made that wasn't great on the tongue but was drinkable. I stored it away and forgot about it while I drank other supplies nearly 6 mos had past when I remembered it. pulled a jar out and it was as smooth as southern comfort only with better bite. 9 mos after that jar I opened another and it was even better. I'm sure you know that anyhow happy drinking I'm looking forward to making this I bought a ton of peaches today
Offline heeler  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:09:53 PM(UTC)
heeler

"Thanks guys, ya know after cookin all day and sniffin the high proof stuff and then working my way through the stinky tails I think my sniffer was a little unplugged. The next day when I made cuts it was still a little iffy I guess cause I walked into the garage and opened that locker and the smell of tails hit me, yucky, as I stated a few days later it got better smelling and tasteing.
Now the reason for this post is to say, this does work and here's proof that you cant rush the good stuff it's even better NOW. It's kinda light and airy but definately P/M so score. I think in a day or two more when it's tasteing time again I'm gonna make sure my nose is aired out and sniff gently before I swig I dont think it will get better but just to see and learn too of course. This hobby can make you happy and pissed off, hahahaha"
Offline heeler  
#37 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 10:03:22 AM(UTC)
heeler

It's been 5 or 6 weeks since I made one of these so I decided to make another one. I ran it just the other day. This time I used my gooseneck tower with the packing and I found out that it didn't really make any difference in the final product, I thought it would (by changeing towers) but if it did it wasn't enough to call it superior. Of course I ran it alittle faster to get some careover and it did but no more than the other. You know what they say.....were always learning. I do have a good stock of brandy now though, I guess I should start drinkin and looking for someone to help too......
Offline Domeguy  
#38 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2023 8:04:03 PM(UTC)
Domeguy

It sounds like a great recipe, and I’d like to give it a try…but how many ounces or gallons is in “a jug”. Hoping to get an answer even though this post is yrs old.