logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cczero  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:23:09 PM(UTC)
cczero

Groups: Registered

This Spirit run was done several weeks ago. I started "tasting" from pint 3 which though cloudy (after dilution) was very good. Continuing with 4,5,6,7,8 with same results. Now, a couple of weeks later, I tapped into pint 11 of 13 which I would have thought would start tasting of tails. To my surprise, after diluting to 90 proof it tastes really "buttery" and am wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Of the whole batch this is the best tasting to date. I wish I good get all output to taste like this. It's really good.
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:34:28 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

perhaps you took your time fermenting and distilled slowly as well.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:53:58 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

"Cloudy after dillution would be an issue with your water. How many total pints did you collect? What kind of still? CM stills are known for good tails compression so you really shouldn't have got much with one of Ricks set ups. Pot stilling i have found i collect a 10% drop in abv and then quit, everything after will taste of tails. Though it won't start getting cloudy till you get way down in abv. I only see that on stripping runs.
Tails has kind of a sweet taste and an aftertaste that kind of stays with you. When i first started i drank everything but the foreshot and thought it was all good. Then unfortunatley i started to taste the differences and have since got fussy."
Offline Bushy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 1:00:29 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi CC, Some of the difference in flavors of the brand names comes from how much of the heads and tails they use in their blending. Might try your hand at blending some of your tails and/or heads with your hearts and see how you like it.
Offline cczero  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 1:06:45 AM(UTC)
cczero

"
Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Hi CC, Some of the difference in flavors of the brand names comes from how much of the heads and tails they use in their blending. Might try your hand at blending some of your tails and/or heads with your hearts and see how you like it.

That SR run for 3 gals took 9:38 minutes producing 11 pints averaging 88 ABV overall. I dilute with filtered tap water and for some reason most of the pints when cut are a little cloudy though the taste has been right on. That's a good idea of blending, I'll try that with the next SR. (I have the HC PS2)"
Offline Bushy  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 3:50:59 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Cloudyness usually means there are heads and/or tails smeared across the hearts. Either that or the water used was not pur enough. I use distilled water to cut mine that way you can tell for sure if it's smeared.
I also compress my fractions during a reflux run by holding it in total reflux for an hour or more. When I start to collect I will stabilize the head temp at 172 to 174. The compression allows you to pull the fractions off with a good separation and less smearing.
Offline captinjack  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 1:19:09 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Cloudyness usually means there are heads and/or tails smeared across the hearts. Either that or the water used was not pur enough. I use distilled water to cut mine that way you can tell for sure if it's smeared.
I also compress my fractions during a reflux run by holding it in total reflux for an hour or more. When I start to collect I will stabilize the head temp at 172 to 174. The compression allows you to pull the fractions off with a good separation and less smearing.

Hi Bushy,
I was just wondering at what temp do you hold the tower at when you are in total reflux. Is there a temp range that is used for that?

Thanks captinjack
Offline Bushy  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 4:57:27 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi captinjack, For the last couple of months I've been stabilizing at close to 169 degrees. That way I've run out all of the fores and most of the heads before stabilizing the column. Seems to be working pretty well as I get a very clear neutral when running this way.
Offline TOM16381  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:38:24 AM(UTC)
TOM16381

HI , NEWBIE HERE.....im on my second batch and i cannot figure out how to tell when im at the tails....i made an 8 gallon wash and the first 4 pints are 170 proof, next 2 are 150 and im still going......to me they all have strong burn my mouth feeling......
help!!lol
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 11:26:33 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi tom, and welcome

1 - what kind of wash ?
2 - Have these jars been aired out a few days after the run to stabilize? If so and its still hot (burnin) it's possible you got some smearing going from too high a heat, but.. There's just no way of me knowin with the details provided...

Need what temps you were taking the run at, and some other details, please..

Ceers
Offline TOM16381  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:21:18 AM(UTC)
TOM16381

Hey thanks rcred for replying
im using a brewhaus pro series still, I made my mash up from sweet corn feed, sugar,and 48turbo yeast- then let it sit for about 5 days
I made 8 gallons
i think the problem is i did it outside , it has been a little windy and my temps would go from 173 to 185 back down to 155,,,,,it was all over the place so all i was doing was adjusting the temp for hours, at one point it stayed at 173-174 for some time i was able to geta break---i endedup with 6 pint jars ,5 were 170proof and 1 was 150, then it just dropped to 50proof....
i have let them sit overnight with the lids off (how long should i do that?)
how much should i be getting from 8 gallon wash?
Offline RCRed  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:54:24 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Hiya Tom

the turbo48 is really for sugar washes - Using it in a sweet feed may offer off flavors - I use a yeast that's designed for on the grain washes that contain the ingredients we see in sweet feed. It's Whiskey AG by Gert Strand (Avail on BH Site). It is specifically formulated for barley, rys and corn washes and has to AG in it to aid in starch conversion.

with those temps all over and if the heat was constantly being adjusted to compensate, I'd offer that the hotness is because of what is called smearing - essentially not keeping the rise of temp constant and slow as one progresses thru the distilling "zone" (165f to 178) - I also suggest you get something to act as a wind block and set up a square around your area or find a wall were you can be to the lee side and out of the wind. You can usually get pallets from someone for free, and then lash them end to end and make a box, then cover the outside of the pallet square with black plastic - You can use heavy gauge trash bags, but is cheaper to go to home creepo or Lowes and get a roll of Mylar plastic and wrap that around and bungee it with elastic ties so you can knock it all down and reuse it agin later...

After you draw your containers, it is best to let them air two days or so, but you need to put coffee filters, spare McD napkins (Sonic, any restaurant) over the top to keep nasties and dust or debris out. I use coffeemaker filters and rubber bands - fits the tops of the jars well.

Finally, I suggest you read thru some of the posts here in the new to distilling section. I learned a lot of what I know by reading the posts of folks like Bushy, Scotty, Hokey, Diesel Duo, Mr. Barleycorn and a host of others. Artisan (artisian-distiller.net) has a new distiller tutorial section that's good too. Homedistiller.org has prolly one of the most comprehensive tut sections and is ordered for newcomers. You can find that at: http://homedistiller.org/intro/intro

Happy stillin'
Offline TOM16381  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 8:20:25 AM(UTC)
TOM16381

HEY RCRED,
you say to keep the temp rising constant and slow....I use a propane turkey burner to warm things up....is it at 173 withing a few minutes...should i slow it down or does that not matter....by the way i let the jars sit for 2 days days airing out and took a sip it taste very close to rubbing alc.lol....is it supposed to be like that before you cut it down?
sorry bout all the stupid questions but i want to be safe
Offline dieselduo  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 8:44:43 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
once you get your boiler up to temp, get the flow rate where you want it, leave your heat alone and the temp in your column will rise after the different fractions come off. that's how you will know where you are in your run
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 9:30:07 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: TOM16381 Go to Quoted Post
HEY RCRED,
you say to keep the temp rising constant and slow....I use a propane turkey burner to warm things up....is it at 173 withing a few minutes...should i slow it down or does that not matter....by the way i let the jars sit for 2 days days airing out and took a sip it taste very close to rubbing alc.lol....is it supposed to be like that before you cut it down?
sorry bout all the stupid questions but i want to be safe

How did you collect?? By that I mean how big were the jars you collected in?? Read up on collecting the distillate. It dosent sound like you made proper collections whist you were running your still cause the stuff that smells like that should have been tossed out."
Offline RCRed  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 10:53:29 AM(UTC)
RCRed

I was also thinking that if it was ran hot, there was prolly some smearing in there too..

Now that doesn't mean ya toss this, you are prolly gonna end up rerunning it slower(lower temp, slower take off rate, more time), or add it to the next run.

It is really important to control the heat when you start - And that begins with knowing the local temp at which water boils where you live. We all think it's 212, but in reality, that will vary based on where you are and weather conditions too... Where I am, it's 206-207 most days. The temp at which the EtOH will vaporize is also lower in that case and you need to know where that's at (yes, there's a calculation for that).. Assuming 172 or 173 could prove inaccurate and too much heat is used in Pot mode, smears, if in reflux mode and the coolant flow isn't right, pretty the same effect I think..

From my experiences (and I use gas too), I fire it on med-high till I see a column temp of about 135, i cut the heat back and creep into the EtOH boiling temp and just take my sweet time about it. Once I am in the band (from where EtOH starts coming out), I cut the heat back to minimums and just let the distillation take it's course. As stated, you are going to see a natural and gradual rise in temps as you work thru the batch.

There's so much more, I'm just skimming the basics.

Heed the Heeler's advice BigGrin
Heeler wrote:
Read up on collecting the distillate.