logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:53:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

"That seems to be the one card that always gets pulled when it comes to distilling, the money card. As far as the feds go, I'm legal. I can legally produce and distill 10,000 proof gallons of alcohol per calender year. No bond required with a small AFP. The amount of money needed and red tape you have to go through just to change from an AFP to a DSP (distilled spirits producer) is unreal. The VABC basically requires the same thing along with an inspection of your equipment and you have to put a public announcement out stating that you've applied for a VABC Distiller's license. After speaking with the VABC and Federal agents and doing some research, the cheapest way to go is an AFP. The cheapest that I've seen for a micro distillery was in NY and he spent well over $18K just for NY alone. The Federal tax rate for a gallon of spirits is $13.50 per gallon. By the time I factor in the state's taxes, this total jumps to just under $30 bucks per gallon. So lets do some math here. Let's say you produced 100 gallons of top notch spirits:

$30.00 bucks X 100 gallons = $3,000 bucks

^ That's just in taxes. This does not include your operating costs and for some of the items, additional taxes also get collected for both the state and federal governments. Now this is just for one state, If your stuff is being produced and sold legally in another state, then you'll be paying that state's alcohol taxes. So let's do some more basic math:

100 gallons per state X 50 states = 5,000 gallons.

5,000 gallons X $30.00 bucks per gallon = $150K

^ That's just with one micro distillery. Now how many micro distilleries are in this country? This is why home distilling may never be fully legalized. Sure they'll make it easier to obtain the proper licensing and what not, but not everyone can afford to buy the license. The VABC distiller's license is $450.00 bucks as long as you don't go over 5,000 gallons. If you plan on distilling more than that, then the license jumps to $3,725 bucks. It's best just to get an AFP and do small batches. Do not tell and do not sell and you should be fine."
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:46:39 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I'm confused....in one post you say your legal...in another post you say Virginia is a lost cause - in the way of legal distilling???? Did I misread it somewhere?
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:43:30 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
I'm confused....in one post you say your legal...in another post you say Virginia is a lost cause - in the way of legal distilling???? Did I misread it somewhere?

Sort of. In terms of getting home distilling legalized completely and dealing with the politicians, then VA is a lost cause. Both Alli and I have tried and pretty much got no where. However it's not impossible to spend money to get the proper licensing which I'm in the process of doing. That's my goal and my dream. To be a licensed micro distiller for the state of VA only. I've already got the federal license. I'm now in the process of getting a VABC license. My federal license number is in my signature.
Offline Biscuit  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:00:20 PM(UTC)
Biscuit

Groups: Registered

Hey Knightmare. You are talking about an alcohol fuel producer licence? Are you able consume all of your production or can you sell fuel to the public. Don't think getting Hobby Distillation on the State level is possible without it being legal on the Feds side first. Got to get D.C. tipped in our favor first.
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:56:56 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Biscuit Go to Quoted Post
Hey Knightmare. You are talking about an alcohol fuel producer licence? Are you able consume all of your production or can you sell fuel to the public. Don't think getting Hobby Distillation on the State level is possible without it being legal on the Feds side first. Got to get D.C. tipped in our favor first.

I'm only allowed to make it for fuel purposes only. I am not allowed to sell it without additional licensing. An AFP (or alcohol fuel producer) license is really easy to get and it's free. With the small level, there's no bond requirements. When I first started looking into getting this federal license back in 2006, that was a different story. Now they have a long and involved process just on submitting a sample for lab testing which is required for a DSP (or distilled spirits producer). They also have 3 different versions of the DSP. The first is DSP: industrial which just about the same as what I have plus a little bit more privelages that go with it. The next is DSP: Beverage which pretty much is self explanatory. The next version is DSP: Industrial/Beverage which means you can distilling anything you want legally.
Offline Alli  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 1:44:40 AM(UTC)
Alli

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Knightmare tends to talk in circles and throws in a lot of irrelevant information. This forum is now and always has been about home/hobby distillers who make a gallon or two a month of their favorite spirit. The fuel permit Knightmare has is for use in gasoline engines and is not permissible to use as a beverage - it is supposed to be render undrinkable by putting gasoline or other burnable substance in it. All the rambling about making more than 5000 gallons and selling to all 50 states is just that - rambling. Anyone intending to make large quantities of beverage spirits or industrial alcohol is starting a business with business plans and the financial backing for such a venture. That is not the purpose of this forum. I filled out and submitted the entire TTB beverage DSP online application and there is nothing about submitting a sample for lab testing - I bet there is a line a mile long for the job. No idea where that came from.

Knightmare says above that his fuel license will suffice as a federal permit when applying for a VA state ABC distillers license. The two permits are as different as night and day and you can't substitute one for the other. Heeler, you are not the one confused here.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 3:51:53 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Biscuit Go to Quoted Post
Don't think getting Hobby Distillation on the State level is possible without it being legal on the Feds side first. Got to get D.C. tipped in our favor first.

This is interesting ... and I've been thinking about it a lot lately ... especially with the legalized marijuana in CO.

My biggest concern, from an enforcement point of view, are the feds. They're the ones that have the lists. And in the current federal political environment, our federal government seems more than willing to use strong-arm tactics.

[SPECULATION=ON]
At the state/local level, at least from all the articles I've read, it appears that the concern is with illegal sales (i.e. - the type of idiots we see on TV with 600 gallon stills) ... not the hobbyists. Many of the articles also mention grow operations, drug possession/sales, etc. That is, other illegal activities that perhaps are responsible for raising the flag.

Our ranks comprise tradesmen, doctors, lawyers, engineers ... and yes, even state/local law enforcement personnel. So it doesn't seem to me that the state/local enforcement folks really care about the folks that make a few liters here and there for their own use.
[SPECULATION=OFF]

Anyway, it doesn't appear that the feds have the will to claim enforcement jurisdication over the states where the laws are in conflict. I would expect the battles to be waged between state & federal politicians and in the courts rather than in the field. So I wonder if approaching state representatives could gain some momentum towards legalization. Maybe it's worth a shot? It might be just the thing that a certain type of politician would support ... if for no other reason than to assert state sovereignty and shoot the finger at the feds. It seems to be working well in Colorado.
Offline Biscuit  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 4:56:04 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

I have not thought about the state level. Going to get in touch with State Rep and see what they think about Hobby Distilling. He should be interested since the "Show" is filmed in his district.

Biscuit
Offline Alli  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 6:28:39 AM(UTC)
Alli

John,
After looking at the websites of every state's liquor control department, I can tell you that many states have dozens and dozens of license types and each license type has its own set of rules and regulations. Keeping up with the licenses of all the liquor stores, grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants and beer joints is no easy task. State taxes may come under the liquor control folks or it may be the responsibility of the state revenue dept. It seems to me that the states are more concerned about underage sales than the distilling a few gallons of booze by an adult.
Quote:

I am interested in what laws you are referring to when you say state and federal laws are in conflict. The TTB is interested in collecting taxes. The states have a myriad of liquor laws to enforce plus taxes to collect. I can't find the conflict.

Tom
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 7:19:33 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A good example of the conflict is in Texas - In dry counties up to one quart of drinkable spirit may be produced and kept for personal consumption, whereas the Federals statute says if any distillate is taken from a wash/wine/beer/wort, that's distilling...

Also, Tom, I will share with you that the TABC (Texas version of the TTB) requires a sample and a formula along with the label. Not a large challenge if one is really going into business as the recipe would have been finalized and a consistent product/blend would be developed.

I don't think someone actually drinks that sample, I was told by the TABC rep it is tested and ensured it is not toxic and that it's ingredients are what the label and the recipe/formula says it is...

[SmartAss=Enabled]Yea, I bet it takes like 14 ml for the test and the rest of the pint is tossed.. You guess where Wink [/SmartAss=Disabled]
Offline John Barleycorn  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 9:17:24 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Alli,

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
I am interested in what laws you are referring to when you say state and federal laws are in conflict.

I was referring to laws like the ones in Colorado. Marijuana production, use, possession etc. is illegal from the federal perspective. Colorado, however has legalized it. So the federal law and state law are in conflict. What I find interesting is that the feds apparently don't have the will to enforce federal law within the state of Colorado. And with good reason ... could you imagine what would happen if the feds attempted to go into Colorado and carry out enforcement activities with respect to marijuana ... it would be an unprecedented preemption of state authority. I would think that it would be political suicide.

So my point is that the idea of needing federal legalization may be an artificial constraint we've placed on ourselves ... perhaps we should be looking more closely at making inroads at the state level.

--JB"
Offline Alli  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 10:22:21 AM(UTC)
Alli

"Red,
I saw several states that require certifications/registrations of every label to be used. I did not see but I did not look that closely of anyone requiring a sample. Here in Virginia a distillery is supposed to get an agricultural department inspection and maybe they do the sample - I was told by the ABC agent I talked to not to hold my breath waiting for the agricultural guy to show up and if they do, they don't have any enforcement capabilities. Ain't it fun?

John,
I got it. You are right. Now, how do we get folks to talk to their state reps? In the past 7 or 8 months we have been beating the forums asking people to contact their congressional representatives and send them the great proposal that mostly you composed. So far about 45 people have admitted sending the proposal to DC in 15 states. Very few have followed up on their original request. How do we get people to contact their state reps and how will we know they did it? It is my opinion that most are too paranoid to put their real name out there for fear of retribution. Many are too lazy to bother when other folks can do it. The pot crowd doesn't give a damn who knows who they are so contact with public officials doesn't bother them. As you can tell I am big on tracking progress, but maybe someone from various states will volunteer to contact their state rep and report back what they find out. Ideas?
Tom"
Offline RCRed  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 10:53:38 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Gentlemen.. The Feds did make an attempt at enforcement in California at one time when the dispensaries got a bit too loose...Didn't work out too well.

But the point is well taken, JB, on a number of fronts where selective enforcement is the norm with this administration.
#14 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 8:07:38 PM(UTC)

Knightmare tends to talk in circles and throws in a lot of irrelevant information. This forum is now and always has been about home/hobby distillers who make a gallon or two a month of their favorite spirit. The fuel permit Knightmare has is for use in gasoline engines and is not permissible to use as a beverage - it is supposed to be render undrinkable by putting gasoline or other burnable substance in it. All the rambling about making more than 5000 gallons and selling to all 50 states is just that - rambling. Anyone intending to make large quantities of beverage spirits or industrial alcohol is starting a business with business plans and the financial backing for such a venture. That is not the purpose of this forum. I filled out and submitted the entire TTB beverage DSP online application and there is nothing about submitting a sample for lab testing - I bet there is a line a mile long for the job. No idea where that came from.

Knightmare says above that his fuel license will suffice as a federal permit when applying for a VA state ABC distillers license. The two permits are as different as night and day and you can't substitute one for the other. Heeler, you are not the one confused here.

Yes Alli, that is correct. I was told by a VABC agent that I would have to put Fuel Alochol on the application if I wanted to keep making fuel. Otherwise I'd have to submit a sample then get my label approved. I'd also have to get a bond as well. The limit for Virginia is 5,000 gallons for the cheaper license ($450 bucks per year). That's with or without a bond. If I were to go over 5,000 gallons, then the license jumps to $3,725.00. Here's proof:

http://www.abc.virginia.gov/licensing/liccost.htm

^Look at the distillery and fruit distillery costs.

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
A good example of the conflict is in Texas - In dry counties up to one quart of drinkable spirit may be produced and kept for personal consumption, whereas the Federals statute says if any distillate is taken from a wash/wine/beer/wort, that's distilling...

Also, Tom, I will share with you that the TABC (Texas version of the TTB) requires a sample and a formula along with the label. Not a large challenge if one is really going into business as the recipe would have been finalized and a consistent product/blend would be developed.

I don't think someone actually drinks that sample, I was told by the TABC rep it is tested and ensured it is not toxic and that it's ingredients are what the label and the recipe/formula says it is...

[SmartAss=Enabled]Yea, I bet it takes like 14 ml for the test and the rest of the pint is tossed.. You guess where Wink [/SmartAss=Disabled]

I'm not talking in circles. That is my dream to be a licensed micro distiller. Here's where the sample comes in:

http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/alf23.shtml#spirits

^ Go to question #24. It depends on what you're planning on making. Some will require a sample before you can apply for label approval while others may not. That's what I was told and this is where they told me to go look.
Offline Alli  
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 01, 2014 8:47:08 AM(UTC)
Alli

Knightmare,
TTB form 5100.51 is not required at this time, but probably will be at some future date. It primarily deals with imports, wine, spirits where additives are included such as coloring, flavoring, etc. I think you are getting the cart way up in front of the horse. Get your permit, open your business, develop your products and then worry about TTB form 5100.51. Unfortunately the only people you can sell your products to in VA are the state liquor stores.
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 02, 2014 8:57:56 AM(UTC)

Knightmare,
TTB form 5100.51 is not required at this time, but probably will be at some future date. It primarily deals with imports, wine, spirits where additives are included such as coloring, flavoring, etc. I think you are getting the cart way up in front of the horse. Get your permit, open your business, develop your products and then worry about TTB form 5100.51. Unfortunately the only people you can sell your products to in VA are the state liquor stores.

No Alli, I'm not putting the cart in front of the mule you are. Here's why. You're assuming that I've not talked to anyone or have not done enough research when I have. The AFP will not keep me out of jail with the feds for making distilled spirits for drinking, but I'm not going to insult their intelligence either. They know dang well what I plan on doing and they also knew that I might have some questions on changing the AFP to a DSP because they were expecting me to call. I'm glad that I did call because they were really helpful about that. The only things that I'd need to upload is the actual VABC license itself and my bond information because I had already submitted all of the other documentation needed when I applied for and received my AFP such as the property deed/lease agreement, and driver's license. The VABC agent in charge of my area heard all of this because it was a 3 way call and he informed them of what all I needed to do for them and he said it wouldn't take but 10 minutes to complete it because out of 20 applicants, 2 were pretty much prepared and I was one of them. My still is already registered with the feds and it would become registered with the common wealth of VA once I applied for the VABC license. Once the amendment went through and my federal license changed to a DSP, it would take another 10 minutes to update the changes on my VABC license. I'm not too far away from acheiving this in one respect, but money wise I am. The AFP has kept me out of trouble with county and town law enforcement, but it will only go so far. Trust me when I say that I have no illusions about what I do and that I take this craft very seriously.
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 02, 2014 9:03:59 AM(UTC)

Before I forget, I did meet these guys yesterday at the Ole Smoky TN Moonshine Distillery in Gatlinburg, TN:

UserPostedImage

The dog Cutie Pie was and is an awesome dog.