logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline poppy-cob  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:57:11 PM(UTC)
poppy-cob

Groups: Registered

I've been doing a lot of reading on how to do a proper Iodine test but so far I'm still baffledConfused.....could someone please tell me what color is the iodine suppose to be if you have properly converted the startch in your grains to sugar.......with no conversion the iodine will be black...correct?........
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:54:35 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

To perform the test, place a few drops of wort (try not to get too many solids) in a small white bowl. (I like to buy the tiny white bowls from Walmart, these are with the Correlle dishes or you can get the small white ramekin bowls.) Add a couple of drops of iodine to the wort. If the starch conversion is incomplete, you will notice the iodine turn black. This means there is still starch in the mash that needs to be converted to sugars so you should continue mashing. When there is complete starch conversion, the iodine will remain a reddish brown color indicating no starch is present.

Sometimes you will get a false reading on the surface, ie. you put the iodine on the surface and it stays reddish brown. If you give the bowl a slight swirl, enough to get the iodine below the surface but now so much that it mixes with the entire contents, you will sometimes notice it turn black. If this is the case, continue mashing until it stays reddish brown after you swirl the cup.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 12:57:12 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I use those little plastic cups that come with cough medicine and coffee stirrers. I scoop out about 1/3 of those little cups (about 0.5 oz) & use the coffee stirrer as a pipette to add a drop or two of the iodine. I would get false positives for starch (turns black/dark blue) all the time with a rice wash, so I don't bother any longer. But when brewing, it seems to work pretty well.
Offline poppy-cob  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 4:40:21 AM(UTC)
poppy-cob

THANKS GUYS.........I should have asked months ago.........