logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2006 1:08:11 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I thought I would pop for a Z carbon filter kit. Tried it out yesterday for the first time. Man what a pain in the bumpus. Has anyone got a good idea about how to fill this thing after you boil and activate the carbon? Sitting there with a spoon for half an hour is no longer an option.
#2 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2006 1:53:50 PM(UTC)

i alway fill mine with dry carbon, then run water through it to clean crap off...
My reused carbon is boiled then cooked on bbq for an hour or so, never try to put wet carbon in z-filter...
Another thing i do is, soak my spirits on carbon for a week or 2 then filter through z-filter..i alway have 2 lots of carbon, 1 for z-filter and 1 for soaking...
This seems to work well for me....
nice clean almost tasteless voka,been double distalled,....

yummy
#3 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2006 2:58:42 PM(UTC)

Good idea, I will try that next time. Spooning it in wet was a royal pain. Thanks.

How do you soak for two weeks, do you put it in a pot or something? What is the carbon to distillant ratio?
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2006 2:46:23 AM(UTC)

i have a little cup, i would say there would be about 2 whole z-filters worth of carbon, i get my spirits down to about 50%, about 8lt total, i have 2 5lt bottle that i use to soak and split carbon into 2.... leave for a min of 1 week. i then strain into zfilter pail, bring it down to 40%, put other carbon,not same for soaking, into z-filter thingy and filter.....
after all this, i then cook/boil carbon used for soaking on bbq until dry....
i normaly use in z-filter 2-5 times then use it for soaking mixed with old carbon...
This seems to work really well for me...
hope this helps you....

p.s. you can really tell the different in taste/smell after soaking on carbon.. also shake it every day......