logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Fusefinder  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:26:46 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

Groups: Registered

"First batch with turbo type yeast came out OK.

My first batch I used about 13 lbs sugar, 40 oz Blackstrap molasses (Unsulphured, Groeb Farms product from GFS) in a 5 gallon fermenter and Liquor Quick Super Yeast X-press started at 1.160 stopped at 1.04 at about 15.5% as I figured. (start -final) X 129= approx abv

This run I am trying to use bakers yeast 10 lbs sugar, 40 oz Blackstrap molasses (same as above) in a 6.5 gallon fermenter about 1/4 cup yeast. Started about 1.10 stopped at 1.01, as I figure about 11.6% on this batch

I have read that bakers yeast gives a better flavor than turbo yeast and uses less sugar, but it tops out about 12-14%.

Here is my questions:
How much Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast should I be using?
If I use K1-V1116 or EC-1118 how much should be used to start?

What is reasonable start and stop readings w/bakers yeast ..I have never reached below 1.0

Any comments, suggestions, and opinion would be helpful!
Thanks"
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2012 3:54:21 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

if using ec-1118 use one packet per 5/6gallons.
I go for a starting of 1.090 (12%)
Offline LWTCS  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:47:47 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"It aint gonna get below 1.0
There is unfermentables in your molasses and you are using a bunch of sugar to boot. Bring it down to 8lbs of sugar (sumpin brown) and 6 or 8 cups of black strap. Areate the Dickens out of it and when your at 90f or less simply sprinkle enough dry yeast to cover the top of the contents within the 25 liter wash volume. Thiz will ferment good and fast especially with summer coming.
Stop pushing so hard and make better rum."
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:52:46 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

"
Originally Posted by: LWTCS Go to Quoted Post
It aint gonna get below 1.0
There is unfermentables in your molasses and you are using a bunch of sugar to boot. Bring it down to 8lbs of sugar (sumpin brown) and 6 or 8 cups of black strap. Areate the Dickens out of it and when your at 90f or less simply sprinkle enough dry yeast to cover the top of the contents within the 25 liter wash volume. Thiz will ferment good and fast especially with summer coming.
Stop pushing so hard and make better rum.

What abv does your rum come out at? You have that multi-doubler still I think i saw pics of it on the other site?"
Offline LWTCS  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:38:57 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

Well I have a modular styled set up so my rums come out at various ABVs depending on the configuration and how much water I'm feeding the dephlegmater.

But I will say that I prefer my rums off the business end at the 89-91 (aggregate) range....plus or minus a point or two in either direction.

Some folks like it coming off at barrel strength so that they don't have to dilute to go into the barrel... But I find that abv a bit harsh and earthy.
I use dunder techniques in the fermenter and in the thumper to insure a good rum profile at that ABV....

Most of my Cuban and Puerto Rican friends prefer the cleaner spirit also....

There pics of my rig here too.
Offline gogower  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:10:38 AM(UTC)
gogower

is there a formula to figure out how much fermentable sugar is in the molasses? I want to control sugar in the mix to keep ratios
Offline admin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:18:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It depends on the molasses and how many times it has been boiled down. The best thing to do is to contact the supplier regarding the specific molasses that you are using.