logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline vonknabe  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:18:46 AM(UTC)
vonknabe

Groups: Registered

"Can anyone tell me how to store lees? And for how long? Here's the deal.....I am making 2 buckets of sweet feed mash, as we speak. Will be ready to run this weekend, but I won't be home to do so (deer hunting season here!). I was going to rack the wash off the lees, and just store it in my carboys for a week or two, until I can run the still. In the meantime, I want to use the spent lees to start my next bash (sour mash?)....what is the best way to preserve it, for 2 to 3 weeks, until I can add backset and do all that other stuff to get the 2nd run going?

Thanks for your help! Susan"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:54:03 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I think I saw that Tx is friggin freezin so dont even worry about it, just leave alittle bit of juice on top or leave the wash right in the original fermenter until you get home. Leave it someplace cool like in your garage this time of year and run it then, whats 48 more hours ya know???
Now you can rack it but just keep the lees wet and cool and you should be fine. Your making a SOUR MASH anyway."
Offline vonknabe  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:05:57 AM(UTC)
vonknabe

"Thanks, Heeler! So, just to clarify....
My racked ""juice"" can stay in the carboys for as long as needed until I run it (I kind of knew this, as I have been making wine for several years).
The sludge in the bottom of the fermentation buckets (aka lees?) can just be stored with the lid on, and left in a cool garage, until I get ready to add to it and start a new mash? I was just worried about it molding and mildewing or something. Didn't know if I should put it in the fridge or add more water to it, so it doesn't harden up. this is my very first batch of spirits. I haven't even taken the still out of the shipping box that it came in, yet! It may be after Christmas before we can run it. I still have to run a vinegar and water batch through it to get it all clean and sterilized.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!"
Offline vonknabe  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:08:33 AM(UTC)
vonknabe

P.S. I live in the southern part of the state, on the coast. We get freaky weather down here. No snow or anything like they are having in Dallas/Ft Worth, but it could be in the 40s one day, and then the 70s the next. We have extreme temperature fluxations in either direction. LOL!
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:14:21 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Yeah just leave 3-4 inches of water on top of the lees in the bucket and seal it up good, and keep it as cool as you can anyway. If you get nervous about it rack into smaller jugs and put in the fridge, but IMHO it should be fine.
Oh and you mentioned mold and mildew---- you ARE making a sour mash and lots of folks like to get that nasty over ripe thing going on in there, I guess it adds that little something special ---- not to me but others do it that way so dont fret too much about it, keep it cool and wet and there ya go."
Offline RCRed  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:10:42 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vonknabe Go to Quoted Post
...No snow or anything like they are having in Dallas/Ft Worth...
For three days I couldn't even get to the barn to make any durn runs!! It just thawed out yesterday, sorta....
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:20:07 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
For three days I couldn't even get to the barn to make any durn runs!! It just thawed out yesterday, sorta....

This time of year is the ONLY time I'm glad I live in Fl. No snow but the heat can kill ya quicker than the cold, but my bones just can't take that 40 mph wind when it's 20F outside............."