logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:33:52 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

"I was given the Essential Extractor Pot Distiller Column as a gift and I has a question about the setup. I also have a 3 ft. section of flanged 2"" stainless pipe that I can use to extend the column. If I was to theoretically use this to make whiskey from an all-grain (no corn) mash, how would I set this up? I am a brewer and this is what I have available, so I'd like to start with an all-grain mash. I was imagining putting together the extended column (column+3ft extension) with copper mesh packing. Would that be too much for making whiskey and would it strip all of the flavor out. I have the extension and copper packing to better separate my distillation phases with teh vapor temperature. Thanks

http://www.brewhaus.com/...-Column-P1021.aspx"
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:38:04 AM(UTC)

I should also mention that the column will be attached to a 15 gallon sanke keg, boiling 10-11 gallon batches. I will be using a large diameter propane burner for heat. I would also like the whiskey to be single run. Thanks!
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:42:15 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
if it's a pot column with no reflux cooling you would only need 2 or 3 plugs of copper mesh to knock down some of the nasties and that won't strip too much of the flavor
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:09:50 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
if it's a pot column with no reflux cooling you would only need 2 or 3 plugs of copper mesh to knock down some of the nasties and that won't strip too much of the flavor

Thanks, dieselduo. When you say 2-3 plugs, how much is that? I have a roll of the copper mesh and was going to fill most of the column with it (probably at least 2 feet of column worth). I just wanted to make sure the extended column and copper mesh would not strip the flavor from the all-grain whiskey.
Offline dieselduo  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:16:13 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
2' is more than plenty on a pot still. Try a run and if you don't have the flavor you want take some out