logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Alli  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:11:56 AM(UTC)
Alli

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good Morning to All,

Yesterday I met with a constituent aid who works for Congressman Wittman in Virginia. At his advise I would like to try another approach at getting tracking for our proposed grassroots legislation.

In Government 101 you learn that all bills begin in the House, and more specifically in the Ways and Means Committee in the House. This means that in order for any of the proposals we have thus far sent to our congressmen/women must eventually get passed along to the Ways and Means Committee in the House, get approval there and sent to the Senate for its approval before going to the President to sign. This is a lot to ask for a grass roots movement that does not even use real names and has no lobbyist.

Here is my idea: I am attaching a copy of the names of all of the members of the Ways and Means Committee. Look at it closely. IF your congressional representative is on this list, it is imperative that you help our cause now and send him/her our proposal. Bills introduced by these 38 members of Congress have a far greater chance of passage than those sponsored by all the rest of congress. Did you know that when you send a proposed bill to a member of Congress, no matter how important or how well written, if it is not sent to the member in whose district you live, it will never be read and all you will get in return is a form letter. There is an unwritten law (or maybe it is written) that says congress works only for the constituents who live in their district.

Soooo, if your Congressman/Women is on the Ways and Means Committee, you have a better chance to get our proposal seriously looked at than most. Please don't take this as just more pushing from Alli, this is serious stuff that needs everyone's attention. I am going to add another column on the Tracking Report that will include contacts on the Ways and Means Committee.

BTW, I was told by a guy who has looked at lot of legislative proposals that ours is extremely well written for its background information and simplicity of the proposed changes. The 3 things that it makes clear are: distilling does not produce alcohol, the proposal seeks fairness in the law (most politicians like fairness), and the health and safety myths are well explained. Keep in mind that if you get a chance to speak to your legislator, on the phone or in person, you need to make your argument in 30 seconds or less - any more than that and will lose their attention.

Things have calmed down for now, so lets get back to work. Look closely at the names on the Ways and Means Committee. Do you see your congressman/women? Do you know anyone who does live in the district of one of these folks?

BTH, The aid I spoke with yesterday was impressed enough with our proposal that he has called the Congressman's scheduler to set up a meeting with me and the Congressman. Might be two weeks or might be 2 months depending on his schedule. I have no idea how he will receive our idea, but I am told that he is a big advocate of fairness in government - hell that is all we want. Will report on our meeting after it happens.

OK Folks, the forum trolls say the single piece of paper with 38 names on it is to big for the attachment devise. Beets hell out of me. here they are:

Committee on Ways and Means - Committee Members

Sam Johnson - TX ........................... Todd Young - IN
Kevin Brady - TX ............................ Mike Kelly - PA
Paul Ryan - WI ........................... Tim Griffin - AR
Devin Nunes - CA ...........................Jim Renacci - OH
Pat Tiberi - OH ........................... Sander Levin - MI - Ranking Member
Dave G. Reichert - WA ...........................Charles B. Rangel - NY
Charlas W. Boustany, Jr. LA .......................... Jim McDermott - WA
Peter J. Roskam - IL ........................... John Lewis - GA
Jim Gerlach - PA ........................... Richard E. Neal - MA
Tom Price - GA ........................... Xavier Becerra - CA
Vern Buchanan - FL ........................... Lloyn Doggett - TX
Adrian Shith - NE ........................... Mike Thompson - CA
Aaron Schock. IL ........................... John B. Larson - CT
Lynn Jenkins - KS ........................... Earl Blumenauer - OR
Erik Paulsen - MN .............................Ron Kind - WI
Kenny Marchant - TX ............................ Bill Pascrell. Jr. - NJ
Diane Black - TN .............................Joseph Crowley - NY
Tom Reed - NY ........................... Allyson Schwartz - PA
...........................Danny Davis - IL
...........................Linda Sanchez - CA

Please excuse any typos in your favorite congressman's name. Alli
Offline Alli  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:24:13 AM(UTC)
Alli

"Sorry folks, I typed the list of committee member's names as two side by side lists and the post came out with the lists run together. If it will be easier to view, I will type it a one long list - someone tell me what they think> First I could not copy the list from a scan and now this. I need a drink,
Alli"
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:55:00 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Heya ALi,

I hear "tell" that's 4 lashes with a noodle (cooked)... BigGrin

Try (remove the whitespace]

[ list ]
[ * ] One Potato One
[ * ] Two Potato Two
[ /List ]

Works out to

• One Potato One
  • Two Potato Two

So ....
[ list ]
[ * ]Sam Johnson - TX [ * ]Kevin Brady - TX [ * ] And so onn...
[ /List ]
Be comes;

• Sam Johnson - TX
  • Kevin Brady - TX
  • And so onn...

Sorry, but the regular VB Code doesn't support multiple columns unless you use insert a table with the buttons on the tool bar... (The reason the lower lines are scrunched is because I put no data in them...)

Like so;
[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]Sam Johnson - TX[/TD]
[TD]Todd Young - IN[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kevin Brady - TX[/TD]
[TD]Mike Kelly - PA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul Ryan - WI[/TD]
[TD]Tim Griffin - AR[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Devin Nunes - CA[/TD]
[TD]Jim Renacci - OH[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Pat Tiberi - OH[/TD]
[TD]Sander Levin - MI - Ranking Member[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dave G. Reichert - WA[/TD]
[TD]Charles B. Rangel - NY[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

If you don't see the Table controls on yer toolbar - go to user options and select the advanced editor BigGrin You can align to either side or center,have borders or, like the US, not show any border, etc

Cheers...
Offline Biscuit  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:22:54 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

Ok. The ball keeps rolling. My Brother is a house mate with a Lady who is very close friend to John Lewis of Ga which is a member of the ways and means committee. John comes to her B'day party each year and I have had the chance to meet him too. Brother Joe has the proposal and will give to Temi to email to John Lewis
Offline admin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:19:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
That is awesome, Biscuit! Please let us know how it goes.
Offline Alli  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 5:20:33 AM(UTC)
Alli

Sorry Biscuit, I missed your post yesterday. That is great you have an association with John Lewis. I used to live in Woodstock, GA which is in the district of Tom Price, also on the Ways and Means Committee. I will prepare a prepare a package today for one of my former neighbors and still a good friend to send to Congressman Price. It didn't dawn on me until I looked up the district Price represents - DUH! Sometimes I think CRS has set in permanently. Alli
Offline Biscuit  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 5:37:16 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

John Lewis has the proposal. Will work with my Brother on follow up with it. Should be a no brainer for Mr. Lewis to back our movement.
Offline Alli  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 9:29:29 AM(UTC)
Alli

Biscuit you are da man. That is great to hear. Please keep us informed. Now all we need some help from others to kick this thing back in gear.
Offline Biscuit  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 5:55:06 PM(UTC)
Biscuit

Forum members. Just a little movement can make a difference. Work who you can with what you can. We control what happens.
Offline Hokey  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 09, 2013 11:21:19 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi guys. Richard E. Neal from MA is on the Ways and Means Committee. He is from the western part of the state and I am in the east. However this weekend I am seeing friends from his district and my friend brews his own beer and loves the whisky I make. I will be giving him a packet on Sat. and ask if he is willing to send it.
Offline Alli  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 09, 2013 8:43:33 PM(UTC)
Alli

That's terrific. If we can get a couple of the guys on that committee thinking about our proposal. it may go a long way toward getting us some of the attention we desperately need up there. Thanks for your efforts. Alli
Offline Biscuit  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:01:41 PM(UTC)
Biscuit

There is four members of the Ways and Means Committee from Texas. I know we have some forum members in Texas. Please check it out and send a package to them. We may not have a lobbyist in Congress but if we show a BUNCH of support for the proposal, like six or more members of the WM Committee have the proposal in front of them they have got to look it it.
Offline Alli  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:46:42 AM(UTC)
Alli

"[ATTACH]935[/ATTACH]Biscuit,
According to my tracking report, no one from Texas has sent a copy of our proposal to any of the Ways and Means Committee members. I don't have any recorded indications of any follow-up from the Texans who have sent proposals to their congressional reps.

Here is the latest update.

Alli"
File Attachment(s):
Congressional Contacts for Legalization Update. 12.11.2013.zip (14kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline RCRed  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:29:33 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
[ATTACH]935[/ATTACH]Biscuit,
According to my tracking report, no one from Texas has sent a copy of our proposal to any of the Ways and Means Committee members. I don't have any recorded indications of any follow-up from the Texans who have sent proposals to their congressional reps.

Here is the latest update.

Alli

Alli, I'll try and pick up on some of these in a week or so. I was waiting for my paper to come in, and it has now so, I can resume the salient. It'll give me something other to do than sit here and code any how...
Offline Biscuit  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:31:17 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

The way it is looking for the WM Committee. Working on the four from Texas, 2 in Ga. 1 in Tenn. 1 in Mass. 1 in Wash. This covers about coast to coast. I'n sure we can do a few more, but it does show we are not just a regional group.
Offline Biscuit  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:40:39 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

Is anyone from the Detroit Mi. Sandy Levin is the ranking member of the WM committee. Be a Hero and get a proposal to him.
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:08:54 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Just saw this thread. I'll be sending a package to John B. Larson in CT today. Just gotta find his contact info.