logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline old stump juicer  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 2:09:12 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

Groups: Registered

"We make lots of deer jerky and always season it with Dales Seasoning(www.dalesseaoning.com) then add red pepper to some and leave the pepper off some for the kids.
I think that since this product is made in Birmingham Al it may not be available in many areas but it's worth looking for.
We always grind the venison and use a jerky shooter, this way there's no need to marinate just mix the seasoning into the ground meat and shoot it onto the dehydrator trays. It doesn't take much seasoning as a little goes a long way.
We also use it on beef steak and perfection is easy to achieve, Pour about two Tbs into a dinner plate and start your charcoal, then lay the steak into the Dales and wet one side turn over and wet other side.
Don't marinate for a long period of time as the steak will get too salty.
The reason I gave the website is because I've looked for this stuff in Fairfax Va and Houston Tx with no luck, they've never heard of it.
One other thought is that Dales also makes a low salt version of this seasoning, it isn't very good, you control the salt by how long you marinate or how much you use."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 2:10:41 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

im a city bou and can not bring myself to eat deer. Although vennison sausages are great.
Offline cczero  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 2:30:59 PM(UTC)
cczero

"
Originally Posted by: old stump juicer Go to Quoted Post
We make lots of deer jerky and always season it with Dales Seasoning(www.dalesseaoning.com) then add red pepper to some and leave the pepper off some for the kids.
I think that since this product is made in Birmingham Al it may not be available in many areas but it's worth looking for.
We always grind the venison and use a jerky shooter, this way there's no need to marinate just mix the seasoning into the ground meat and shoot it onto the dehydrator trays. It doesn't take much seasoning as a little goes a long way.
We also use it on beef steak and perfection is easy to achieve, Pour about two Tbs into a dinner plate and start your charcoal, then lay the steak into the Dales and wet one side turn over and wet other side.
Don't marinate for a long period of time as the steak will get too salty.
The reason I gave the website is because I've looked for this stuff in Fairfax Va and Houston Tx with no luck, they've never heard of it.
One other thought is that Dales also makes a low salt version of this seasoning, it isn't very good, you control the salt by how long you marinate or how much you use.

I was first introduced to Dale's while visiting my son at Ft. Rutger's Alabama about 15 years ago. I loved it. I couldn't find it locally for several years but finally started appearing here. I've hooked a lot of family members to it. I use it on everything except fish. It's especially good as a marinate for venison jerky (along with red pepper flakes). I had my wife buy 10 jars of it on her trip thru Alabama last Summer to her Mother's house in Florida. It's a staple in our household."
Offline old stump juicer  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:43:33 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

cczero, I buy mine at sams club, they have it in the 64 oz size and that last for months! You cam probably get it from them on line.
We never even buy Heinz 57 or A-1 any more, where they mask or change the taste of steak Dales just enhances it.
Offline Gerald  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:48:46 AM(UTC)
Gerald

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
im a city bou and can not bring myself to eat deer. Although vennison sausages are great.

You said you can't bring yourself to eat deer, is it because of the taste, if so have you put the deer meat in a cooler with ice and let the meat bleed out first. once that is done the wild game taste is gone.

just currious."
Offline old stump juicer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:43:11 PM(UTC)
old stump juicer

scotty, a lot of people don't like deer but it is usually because of the way the animal was handled after it was harvested.
Many years ago we had no deer season and very few deer, then sometime in the 1970's the deer came back and when someone got lucky enough to take one they would haul it around for a day or two and expect it to be palatable,not!
The secret is to field dress the animal as soon as possible, then keep it in a refrigerator or cooler until it can be processed. If you treated beef the way deer are often handled they would suck too.
I only wish you lived close enough that I could introduce you to some properly handled and prepared venison. You might still not like it but I would bet you would.
Offline dasorge  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 01, 2013 5:28:28 AM(UTC)
dasorge

I use "Hi Country" seasoning. You can get different spices such as pepper, hot, mysquite, etc. Each package has the cure and seasoning and will make about 25 pounds of jerky. The recipe calls to let it set overnight -- I let mine set refridgerated for 2 days to help it cure. Then I put the seasoned meat in my smoker and smoke it for 4 hours, turning the pieces once after 2 hours. I slice my jerky to about 1/8 in and 4 hours in the smoker is perfect. The thicker your pieces are the longer you need to keep in the smoker otherwise it doesn't dry out as well. Cabela's (cabelas.com) has the packages of Hi Country. They also have the Cabela's brand but the seasoning isn't as good. This is a dry rub type seasoning so no water is needed....just sprinkle it on the meat.
Offline cczero  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 01, 2013 1:35:24 PM(UTC)
cczero

"
... I think that since this product is made in Birmingham Al it may not be available in many areas but it's worth looking for.
We always grind the venison and use a jerky shooter, this way there's no need to marinate just mix the seasoning into the ground meat and shoot it onto the dehydrator trays. It doesn't take much seasoning as a little goes a long way.....

Birmingham is where I was first acquainted with this marinade and agree, mostly, with the technique described for marinating venison. If you can find it, buy it but it does have a tendency to get more salty as the marinate works. Don't soak it all day. Just a couple of hours with the red pepper flakes and you're good to go. Excellent for jerky. Good for steaks and pork as well."
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 01, 2013 11:37:05 PM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: Gerald Go to Quoted Post
You said you can't bring yourself to eat deer, is it because of the taste, if so have you put the deer meat in a cooler with ice and let the meat bleed out first. once that is done the wild game taste is gone.

just currious.

That was the problem- reminded me of a livery taste-- i like liver but this taste??? maybe thats the gamey taste that folks talk about- i think my first experience turned me off for good. The first ones had a strange (( liver like ) taste to it. A friend gave me a extra fine cut that was definitely properly handled and i couldnt bring mself to even taste it-- I guess my imagination ruines me. Sad

BTW Thanks for the reply
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 01, 2013 11:38:51 PM(UTC)
scotty

scotty, a lot of people don't like deer but it is usually because of the way the animal was handled after it was harvested.
Many years ago we had no deer season and very few deer, then sometime in the 1970's the deer came back and when someone got lucky enough to take one they would haul it around for a day or two and expect it to be palatable,not!
The secret is to field dress the animal as soon as possible, then keep it in a refrigerator or cooler until it can be processed. If you treated beef the way deer are often handled they would suck too.
I only wish you lived close enough that I could introduce you to some properly handled and prepared venison. You might still not like it but I would bet you would.

Thanks stumpy-- i guess i'm ruined-- I love anchovoes and squid though-- Go figure lol
Offline Amadhunter  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2013 10:14:51 AM(UTC)
Amadhunter

I use Dales sometimes, but most of the time I use Alegro, and my own blend of spices. :)
Offline cooter  
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:44:03 AM(UTC)
cooter

I've used Dales on everything. I marinate froglegs and gator meat in it, but I delute it 50-50 with water. The gator meat and froglegs suck it up and used full strength is too over powering. I marinate deer meat and beef steaks in it full strength. If you want to taste something really good, marinate some chicken breast and pork chops and fry or grill. Really good no matter what just keep in mind its pretty strong. Cooter, Da Cajun
Offline old stump juicer  
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:32:44 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

"cooter the magic is in not marinating for too long, you have to experiment and figure out how long to let any meat soak in Dales!
I have found that about 10-15 minutes is perfect for an 1-1/2 "" rib eye, maybe 5-10 mins or less for any cubed meat.
Dales is a strong seasoning but you have complete control over the effects and the end result, it's all a matter of timing!
I usually will use about 3TBS to marinate one steak, just place it in a dinner plate and lay the steak in the dales let it set for a few minutes, turn it over and and after another few minutes throw it on the grill, it's kinda hard to screw a steak up using this method!
You add in a baked potato with butter and sour creme and it's Slap Yo Mamma time!"