logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Moonlite  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 6:53:15 PM(UTC)
Moonlite

Groups: Registered

"I've been runnin the ole tried n true corn sugar and water mix but never filtered it
With anything before just wondering if charcoal or wood chips like hickory or any
Other type of wood would take some of the burn out if so how do I build the filtering
System and witch is the best way to go"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:37:46 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"What proof are you drinkin it at for starters.....
Charcoal filter will take some burn out of it if its not 160 proof..no higher than 120 through the carbon, and then cut it to 100 or less for consumption
I think all the answers you are looking for are on the site, try the Technical section for starters"
Offline Zymurgy Bob  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:27:29 AM(UTC)
Zymurgy Bob

Are you looking at filtering because your distillate tastes bad? I ask because that's pretty common. In truth, often bad tastes come from bad fermentation conditions like low nutrients, high OG, or use of certain turbos. Before you build a filtering system, take a good look at your fermentations.
Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:32:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Keep in mind that a 'bad taste from fermentation' can simply be the sulfur formed during fermentation, which is more noticeable in a sugar wash due to the lack of other flavors to help mask it.
Offline Zymurgy Bob  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:50:34 AM(UTC)
Zymurgy Bob

Agreed, but I also know that a wash created in the belief that a 20% turbo wash is a good thing can smell awful, and so can a sugar wash with no additional nutrition such that the yeast dies a horrible death, but a well-nourished sugar was designed for a modest, say, 10% wash (the MUM wash is a great example) can smell and taste lush and fruity.

I don't do sortavodka often, but a 3x potstilled MUM wash with bicarb added to second and third wines for ester suppression can be way cleaner than some filtered high-ABV turbo washes. Admittedly, my vapor path is copper, so those sulfur compounds in the vapor get mostly bound into insoluble copper compounds.