logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#21 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:18:15 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Maddawgs, hows that stir plate comin......did you get everything you ordered yet? Its fun and easy to complete this profect.

Hi heeler,
Yes I did get everything. I have been busy getting the still shop (garage) set up. Finished the insulation Friday and currently seeing how warm it will stay. Want to make sure I have proper temps for fermentation. Had the price wrong on the magnets, it was $10 for 10 so a buck a piece. Man those things are powerful. They came all 10 stuck together and it took a lot of effort to separate. Once I have the shop set up I'll post some pics. PS2HC and fermenters come soon-getting pretty excited.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#22 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:50:40 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Maddawgs, hows that stir plate comin......did you get everything you ordered yet? Its fun and easy to complete this profect.

Hi heeler,
Here are the pics I promosed. First one shows all the items needed and the second one shows the little magnets, Man those are strong magnets.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]662[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]663[/ATTACH]

And just 10 minutes later I had a working stir plate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]664[/ATTACH]
You were right, it was both fun and easy--Thanks
Maddawgs
Maddawgs attached the following image(s):
001.JPG (237kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
002.jpg (217kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
004.JPG (224kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline scotty  
#23 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:24:25 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

super job too :)
Offline Maddawgs  
#24 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:59:42 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
super job too :)

Thanks, I was really surprised by how easy it was. I even took the time to solder and shrink tube the connections
Offline heeler  
#25 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:56:32 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Good job, I really like useing mine not that you have to have it but hell it just adds a little more fun to the hobby.
Offline Maddawgs  
#26 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:15:45 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Yup, I spent another 20 minutes throwing things in the water and making tornadoes BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin
Offline heeler  
#27 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 1:55:49 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Cool, you'll find when you have something like a wash or mash in there you prolly wont get the tornado effect. Thats not a problem so dont fret over it, really keeping it moveing and growing it the key. Now if I use a bigger stir bar I can still get the vortex with wort if its not tooo high a gravity but the --thickness--if you will, will defenatly have an effect on the whirl but not to a detriment.

Remember with dry yeast we are just ((((re-hydratring)))) but the fact that its wet and growing is of course a good thing. Thats why you can pitch it so much sooner than a liquid yeast ---- cause its ready sooner.

Now with a liquid yeast we are absolutely growing and multiplying our cell count and thats really what a stir plate is for. I still use it all the time even with the dry yeast cause I like seeing it run and ya gotta re-hydrate it anyway---well you dont have too but I like too."
Offline captinjack  
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:20:40 PM(UTC)
captinjack

I think I would like to build one of these also, I get the fan and the magnets ok but what do you use for the stir bars?
Captinjack
Offline Maddawgs  
#29 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:11:41 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
I think I would like to build one of these also, I get the fan and the magnets ok but what do you use for the stir bars?
Captinjack

Hi CJ,
If you can see my images from post #22 I show the one I use. If you do a search on Ebay or Amazon for stir plate spin bar plenty should come up. I think mine was less than 2 bucks. If you do plan on making and using one of these stir plates it is important to use a flat bottommed container. The jar I show in my image has a curved bottom and the spin bar would spin off at speed. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs
Offline captinjack  
#30 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 5:30:43 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Hay MD,
I found a whole bunch on Ebay and Amazon there is a lot of different sizes, is there a certain size that I should get? I went to a local cigar shop and computer recycle place and got a box, fan and magnets for a total of $5.00... I have a friend that has been having me help him make home brew beer and he uses liquid yeast and he has never done a yeast starter and his beer always comes out on the weak side (abv) I want to take the spinner and the lessons learned on here ( thanks Heeler ) and show him some newbie tricksBigGrin But I have to admit he is showing me about making some ag mash...
Offline Maddawgs  
#31 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 1:52:31 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hay MD,
I found a whole bunch on Ebay and Amazon there is a lot of different sizes, is there a certain size that I should get? I went to a local cigar shop and computer recycle place and got a box, fan and magnets for a total of $5.00... I have a friend that has been having me help him make home brew beer and he uses liquid yeast and he has never done a yeast starter and his beer always comes out on the weak side (abv) I want to take the spinner and the lessons learned on here ( thanks Heeler ) and show him some newbie tricksBigGrin But I have to admit he is showing me about making some ag mash...

Hi CJ,
I have 3 different sizes 1, 1.5, and 2 inches. I dit water tests in a 2000ml erlynmyer flask (flat bottomed) and all worked fine. In my original jar (curved bottom) only the 1 inch would work at the lowest speed. We have a few yeast starter videos in the video section plus there are plenty more on you tube. They do a pretty good job of explaining the process. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs
Offline captinjack  
#32 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 2:58:30 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Maddawgs,
I ordered a 1" and 2" on amazon and that 2000ml erlynmyer flask is just what I was looking at. I had already checked out the videos on here and you tube, very informative! Did you install a rheostat on yours to control the speed of the fan? Thanks for your help...
Captinjack
Offline Maddawgs  
#33 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:49:32 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Maddawgs,
I ordered a 1" and 2" on amazon and that 2000ml erlynmyer flask is just what I was looking at. I had already checked out the videos on here and you tube, very informative! Did you install a rheostat on yours to control the speed of the fan? Thanks for your help...
Captinjack

Hi CJ,
Yup, you can see it right in the center of the cigar box. Speed goes from about 20rpm to so fast the spin bar is just a white blur. I reality you'll probably not need much more than 100 rpm.
Maddawgs
Offline captinjack  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:44:00 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi heeler and Maddawgs,
I got all my stuff to make my stir plate, thanks for the idea, info and help it was a fun little project to make it's also fun to mess with and make little whirlpools like you said. The 1" spin bar seems to be able to stay in place and go faster than the 2" one, but the 2" one moves more liquid but I got them both to work ok...

Here's what mine looks like, I used a lighted switch and the rheostat...

UserPostedImage

And this is the inside

UserPostedImage

And here it is being tested with the 1" bar...

UserPostedImage

I'm going to try it out for real this weekend at my friend's house brewing some double IPA... Again thanks for your help...
Captinjack
Offline Maddawgs  
#35 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:52:56 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi heeler and Maddawgs,
I got all my stuff to make my stir plate, thanks for the idea, info and help it was a fun little project to make it's also fun to mess with and make little whirlpools like you said. The 1" spin bar seems to be able to stay in place and go faster than the 2" one, but the 2" one moves more liquid but I got them both to work ok...

Here's what mine looks like, I used a lighted switch and the rheostat...

UserPostedImage

And this is the inside

UserPostedImage

And here it is being tested with the 1" bar...

UserPostedImage

I'm going to try it out for real this weekend at my friend's house brewing some double IPA... Again thanks for your help...
Captinjack

Hi CJ,
Nice work. I didn't use an on/off switch on mine, I just plug it in when i need it. This is a pretty easy and cheap project. I had a lot of fun with mine and it only took about 10 minutes to do.
Maddawgs
Offline heeler  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:34:03 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Well I found another use for my stir plate....I'll add some pics to show you...
UserPostedImage
I wanted to make some Fireball (or Redhot likker I call it) and usually I just sit it on the counter and let it dissolve on its own but then it hit me, if I put it on the stir plate and spin it wouldn't that help it along faster?? Well it seems to speed up the process...
UserPostedImage
I bet it took some hours off the process --- another success story in my book.Cool Oh and this is only 50% or 100 proof hooch, no sense killing myself or my pals. I can say for sure it does work so givera go sometime and happy hoochin."