logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline azar  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:52:52 PM(UTC)
azar

Groups: Registered

"I was going to make a control box and then have my heating element plugged into that.
Well I cant find any real data on which to choose. Of course 220 would be the way to go. I'd really like to get everyone's opinions on using 110. What would the time take to heat the wash/mash up? What is the highest wattage heating element I can use for 110? I had originally planned for only one 1'' NPT fitting on the 15 gallon kettle. And then I was gonna make something similar to this (http://theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements)
I do have access to 220 via my dryer plug the run the cord about 10-15 feet to my control box (inside the garage) and then have the element plugged into that. My whole setup is going to be taking place in my garage. Any issues with that? I can leave the laundry room door open to provide more ventilation. I was initially gonna do this in my kitchen or dinning room but want it to be a little more hidden. So I'll go with inside my garage and use a nice size cooler with cold ice water to circulate through the reflux/condenser.

Would it be worth wild to add anything else to the kettle like a port for a temp gauge. I was planning on buying the PCII HC 3''. So would it just be okay to use the temp gauge that will be at the top of that?

I'm really trying to plan things out where I go buying stuff and regret that I didn't buy something else or have Rick modify it more for me."
Offline Hokey  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 5:49:16 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Azar, To begin with I have the 15 gal PSIIHC. I feel there is no need for a temp probe in the kettle. The gauge at the top of the column is fine. Building a control box is way beyond my knowledge. I have two 120 volt elements with the bottom one controlled by a router speed controller. It heats up in 45 mins. +-. If you have two couplings added you can always use one for a drain. Which would be handy.
Offline azar  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:06:13 PM(UTC)
azar

Hokey, so are you happy with your PSIIHHC? Your using the brewhaus 15gal kettle as well? Where did you have him install the 1'' fittings at? What's your wattage on your heating elements? Are they plugged into the same electrical circuit?
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 2:00:12 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Very happy with it. I got the whole kit from Brewhaus. 15 gal kettle and all. Bottom NPT fitting is approx. 2 1/2 inches from the bottom and the other approx. 8 inches from the bottom and 30 degrees to the side. I use two Camco 2000 watt elements bought from Amazon for about $10.00
. Plugged into different circuits. Once the temp gets to 90 degrees F I just unplug the top element and use the bottom one which is hooked up to a 20 amp router speed controller to control power to the element. Speed controller was also from Amazon. Around $32.00. I just asked them to install the fittings where they thought best and they look and work great.
Offline azar  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 11:46:09 AM(UTC)
azar

I've decided to go with 220 and one 5500 watt element. I'll still have two 1'' fitting just incase i wanna change my setup.

I'm thinking about having him put a 3" ferrule cap with 1/2" female NPT at the top of the PSIIHC. I cant find a 3'' yet but I would add a fitting to the 1/2'' NPT and have my digital thermometer right there and the cord going down to the box that displays the temp.
The only way I can think of doing it right now is by buying a 3'' to 2'' adapater and then buy the 2'' ferrule cap with 1/2" female NPT.

Does anyone know where to find a 3" ferrule cap with 1/2" female NPT?
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:25:20 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
If Brewhaus doesnt sell em then -- HillbillyStills.com does for sure.
Offline Hokey  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:41:17 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Azar, If you have a 15 gal boiler and are using 220 and still have two ports use one of them as a drain. I don't have 220 yet but when I do that is what I plan on doing. Ten gals of Hot backset can be very tricky.
Have fun and be safe