logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline matencio  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:59:23 AM(UTC)
matencio

Groups: Registered

"I wrote to my representative and congressman a few weeks ago about supporting USC 26. A few minutes ago I was called back about it. If you think they aren't listening, I hope this changes your mind.

He wanted to know why I wanted the change to occur and more about it - beyond the law itself. I explained that for many of us, it's a hobby. More So, it's a scientific experiment every time we make a batch of brew because there are exact temperatures and times involved, measuring different ingredients and adding them at the right time, and of course osmosis.

Distilling continues this to the next level, providing a clear liquid that can be flavored with any number of items.

His concern was mass production of brewed and distilled batches. I explained that it takes a significant amount of time and effort to brew and distill anything. People aren't going to build a huge distillery in their garage or backyard - in fact, just the opposite. This is for personal consumption only.

The changes simply allow us to go the extra step to making distilled products. I reminded him that Americans came to the new world making our own distilled products and that it's silly that we aren't permitted to do what our forefathers did all those centuries ago. He brought up that it's dangerous to make moonshine.

I explained that with adapting USC 26 to allow distillation instead of people hiding, the danger is virtually non-existent. Technology allows us to measure the level of alcohol and to purchase stainless steel equipment that does not emit poisonous elements when distilling as was the case in the old days. It's a whole new world out there.

He not only learned a lot, I invited him to this forum and to contact and read comments to get a better feel about the subject and to contact Rick at Brewhaus.

So, for my first posting, this is it. Please write your congressmen and women. They listen. My call was proof.

TAG! Your it! Now go write an email!
Mike"
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:20:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This is a great response! It not only shows that at least some of our representatives listen to us, but that they have many misconceptions about the hobby. Things that we must remember to stress if we get the opportunity to speak to our representative about this:

1) We are not asking for an expansion in the amount of beverage grade alcohol that is currently allowed under the law. We are only seeking to be able to take that same product and further process it. This is a natural extension of the homebrewing and wine making hobby. It actually purifies the fermented product, and removes undesirable components, so it is actually opposite to the common belief that distilling makes a more dangerous product.

2) New Zealand is a perfect example of how safe distilling is. To the best of my knowledge (and after some research), there have been exactly zero reported deaths attributed to home distilling. I do not believe that there have been any hospitalizations or sicknesses attributed to it, either. So, if safety is the concern, we can show that hobby distilling is actually very safe, with no more risk of personal harm than most any hobby.

Rick
Offline Alli  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 8:35:22 AM(UTC)
Alli

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"Mike,
Do you mind telling us what state you live in and the name of the congresman you spoke with - I just want to add it to the list. None of your personal info will be revealed -we don't know any of that stuff to start with and don't want to. Alli"
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:10:57 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Here's what gets to me the most. Right now anyone can go online or walk into a store and buy a beer or wine making kit and there's no license requirement and there's no limits on how much they can make. They also don't have register their equipment or keep records. When I went legal I had to submit enough paper work that would rival an encyclopedia, I had to get my license re-approved so that my still could be registered which took 8 weeks. I also have to keep track of every run that I make because I am required to fill out and submit a report by January 30th each year. I think it should be fair for us distiller to have the freedom that homebrewers do when it comes to our craft.
Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:58:34 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: knightmare1015 Go to Quoted Post
I also have to keep track of every run that I make because I am required to fill out and submit a report by January 30th each year. .
Yep, I am in the process of defining a msAccess data base/Excel App to track batches all from the grain to the glass.. As you said, it's required.. Eight weeks, eh? Uggh
Offline flht01  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:35:13 PM(UTC)
flht01

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
Yep, I am in the process of defining a msAccess data base/Excel App to track batches all from the grain to the glass.. As you said, it's required.. Eight weeks, eh? Uggh

i ended up buying one of those beer brewing programs but I don't see that happening. Lot of nice features but not for what we do. I think you made the right choice ...
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:11:41 PM(UTC)

Yep 8 weeks before my amendment took affect. You see any time you get a new distilling tower or distiller, it has to be registered and in order to do that you must create an amendment to your current license. I had to play 20 questions and wait 8 weeks. It was a long 8 weeks.

Originally Posted by: flht01 Go to Quoted Post
i ended up buying one of those beer brewing programs but I don't see that happening. Lot of nice features but not for what we do. I think you made the right choice ...

I was told by a local distillery you're better off buying a distilling program instead of the beer brewing programs that are out there. He said they aint cheap either.
Offline RCRed  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:17:37 AM(UTC)
RCRed

I was told by a local distillery you're better off buying a distilling program instead of the beer brewing programs that are out there. He said they aint cheap either.

They ain' cheap t'all, and are geared more toward industrial production. What I am building is more a hobbyists/AFP Small producers tool that is easy to input information to and uses drop downs to make data entry easy... And, it tracks the ingredients, recipes, ferments, distillations and provides a cost per ounce production analysis-As I said From Grain-to-Glass.. (Sorry, it's the career in IT causing extreme geekiness)...After 30+ years, I have learned that most systems canned (written) by someone else fits the need they were after and later, upper management wants to recoup the costs of programming so they sell the tool to others. That doesn't mean it fits YOUR business - often software apps have to be customized to fit. Well, screw dat...I'll write my own :)

Back on Topic:

Gosh, and I LOVE to tell you that John Cornyn would take an appt, but he's too busy coddling those at the border suffering a immigration delay. And that's a fact, ya'll, he's refused town halls in Dallas over OBuffooncare for two years while I see him suckling the latino illegals at the border, any thing but his job.. Well, there'll be an election for him someday...Cruz, on the other hand...I expect some traction.
Offline flht01  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:47:22 AM(UTC)
flht01

...What I am building is more a hobbyists/AFP Small producers tool that is easy to input information to and uses drop downs to make data entry easy... And, it tracks the ingredients, recipes, ferments, distillations and provides a cost per ounce production analysis-As I said From Grain-to-Glass..

if you need help beta testing I'll volunteer :)
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:03:48 AM(UTC)
RCRed

I'd already penciled ya in for dat, Bra, being from our state an all Wink I've written code a very long time - I started when PacMan and Missle Command were only arcade games in a bar...
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:51:41 AM(UTC)

They ain' cheap t'all, and are geared more toward industrial production. What I am building is more a hobbyists/AFP Small producers tool that is easy to input information to and uses drop downs to make data entry easy... And, it tracks the ingredients, recipes, ferments, distillations and provides a cost per ounce production analysis-As I said From Grain-to-Glass.. (Sorry, it's the career in IT causing extreme geekiness)...After 30+ years, I have learned that most systems canned (written) by someone else fits the need they were after and later, upper management wants to recoup the costs of programming so they sell the tool to others. That doesn't mean it fits YOUR business - often software apps have to be customized to fit. Well, screw dat...I'll write my own :)

Back on Topic:

Gosh, and I LOVE to tell you that John Cornyn would take an appt, but he's too busy coddling those at the border suffering a immigration delay. And that's a fact, ya'll, he's refused town halls in Dallas over OBuffooncare for two years while I see him suckling the latino illegals at the border, any thing but his job.. Well, there'll be an election for him someday...Cruz, on the other hand...I expect some traction.

That would be nice for the hobbyist to have a program that they can use for small scale distilling. You should really market that because it's needed. As far as what's going on down there, I wouldn't know. I haven't been to Dallas in years. I drove an 18 wheeler for a living and Texas was one of my favorite places.

Already a volunteer.

I'd already penciled ya in for dat, Bra, being from our state an all Wink I've written code a very long time - I started when PacMan and Missle Command were only arcade games in a bar...

The program is needed but for fuel you'll be using wine gallons which is equal to a standard U.S. Gallon.
Offline RCRed  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:47:22 AM(UTC)
RCRed

That would be nice for the hobbyist to have a program that they can use for small scale distilling. You should really market that because it's needed. As far as what's going on down there, I wouldn't know. I haven't been to Dallas in years. I drove an 18 wheeler for a living and Texas was one of my favorite places.

Already a volunteer.

The program is needed but for fuel you'll be using wine gallons which is equal to a standard U.S. Gallon.

yes sir, I know - I am basing it off gallons, but if I can find conversion tables I can call programatically, I may also include metrics.

I don't go to Dallas much at all --- Too damn dangerous there. And there's nothing there I need I can't get elsewhere.

As to marketing, well, let's wait and see what she looks like once I stand it up. At this point, I've got the data base structure defined and the relationships made (What's a "relationship"? - For instance - You have recipes which have relationships to grain, water, yeast, etc-when you tie them together it allows you to track the use/costs of each per batch and what not.)
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:19:26 AM(UTC)

yes sir, I know - I am basing it off gallons, but if I can find conversion tables I can call programatically, I may also include metrics.

I don't go to Dallas much at all --- Too damn dangerous there. And there's nothing there I need I can't get elsewhere.

As to marketing, well, let's wait and see what she looks like once I stand it up. At this point, I've got the data base structure defined and the relationships made (What's a "relationship"? - For instance - You have recipes which have relationships to grain, water, yeast, etc-when you tie them together it allows you to track the use/costs of each per batch and what not.)

Kool deal man. Proof gallons is for distilled spirits only and it's calculated compeletely different compared to wine gallons. Here's the formula:

proof X gallons divided by 100 = proof gallons (190 proof = 1.9 in the formula).

^ I hope this will help out some.
Offline Alli  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:32:34 AM(UTC)
Alli

It has gotten to the point that I don't know where to post stuff anymore and I hate to keep adding new topics - not sure why, maybe that is the way to go. Anyway, since Congress is out for the month of August, I looked at the web pages for the 2 Senators here in VA. I missed a townhall by one day that was ten miles away with one of them because I was late checking the web site. The other one is sending a representative to a library 2 miles from my house next Thursday to "help" people with problems with federal agencies. Well, hell, we have a problem with a federal agency - the TTB. Why are they in a data collection business? I mailed Senator Warner a package Monday and I am going to take the very same thing to his "represeentative" next week. He/she is supposed to be there for 2 hours so I certainly should be able to get my 2 cents worth in during that time. Might be worth checking your senator's web sites now. Never know if they are going to be in your aera unless you check. Alli.
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:33:24 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
It has gotten to the point that I don't know where to post stuff anymore and I hate to keep adding new topics - not sure why, maybe that is the way to go. Anyway, since Congress is out for the month of August, I looked at the web pages for the 2 Senators here in VA. I missed a townhall by one day that was ten miles away with one of them because I was late checking the web site. The other one is sending a representative to a library 2 miles from my house next Thursday to "help" people with problems with federal agencies. Well, hell, we have a problem with a federal agency - the TTB. Why are they in a data collection business? I mailed Senator Warner a package Monday and I am going to take the very same thing to his "represeentative" next week. He/she is supposed to be there for 2 hours so I certainly should be able to get my 2 cents worth in during that time. Might be worth checking your senator's web sites now. Never know if they are going to be in your aera unless you check. Alli.

Kool deal. You're from Virginia too? Mark Warner might listen.
Offline Alli  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 05, 2013 8:55:58 AM(UTC)
Alli

"I met with a constituent representative of VA Senator Mark Warner this afternoon. The meeting lasted almost 30 minutes. I had a chance to tell our story about the unfairness of being able to make beer and wine and not distill it. I talked about all of the new small businesses and jobs that will be created when micro-distilleries start popping up like micro-breweries have done. I explained how safe our hobby is and that we are not putting antifreeze in our distillate. It was a very positive meeting. She promised to put the package in the hands of the Senator when she meets with him Saturday morning. Who knows where it will go from here, but it was fun and going in the right direction.

Who is next to meet with someone in a position to help the cause??

Alli"
#17 Posted : Friday, September 06, 2013 6:06:21 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
I met with a constituent representative of VA Senator Mark Warner this afternoon. The meeting lasted almost 30 minutes. I had a chance to tell our story about the unfairness of being able to make beer and wine and not distill it. I talked about all of the new small businesses and jobs that will be created when micro-distilleries start popping up like micro-breweries have done. I explained how safe our hobby is and that we are not putting antifreeze in our distillate. It was a very positive meeting. She promised to put the package in the hands of the Senator when she meets with him Saturday morning. Who knows where it will go from here, but it was fun and going in the right direction.

Who is next to meet with someone in a position to help the cause??

Alli

That is some really good news. Hopefully they'll pass it on to other law makers who can see the benefits of legalizing home distilling. It would eliminate the black market which causes more problems than we can think of. Do you think that they'll pass it on?