logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Alli  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:16:29 AM(UTC)
Alli

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"
http://www.casey.senate....h-and-across-the-country

All,
See the attached news clip from Senator Robert C. Casey, JR of Pennsylvania. You may have to copy and paste it in your browser, but it is worth the read. On August 15, 2013 Senator Casey said he is pushing for legislation in Pittsburgh (and indeed across the country) to cut taxes on small breweries. The PA tax code has not changed for these businesses since 1976. Senator Casey understands the need for small businesses and the jobs they create.

I received 2 emails of congressionnal notification today; one from Kentucky and one from Illinois. We are making great progress but we have a long way to go. Our goal #2 is to get a copy of our proposed legislation in the hands of every senator in the US Senate. No one from Pennsylvania has volunteered to send in our package - Senator Casey is as hot as they get when it comes to helping us legalize our hobby. Who will volunteer? I would love to put PA on the list of notified states tomorrow. I worked in PA for 3 years and the one thing I loved about that state were the small townships that had a neighborhood bar on every corner. I know someone there has a still they are not talking about who would love to have their hobby legalized. Plase send Senator Casey a copy of our legislation and let me know. If you need help with a cover letter let me know in a private message or at allibugger
yahoo.com. Together we will get'er done. Alli."
Offline Alli  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 9:20:01 AM(UTC)
Alli

"I am replying to myself - that ain't good. I have another idea. It's called Phone a Friend. Remember when that was an option on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Well folks we can use the same option here. Everyone has a friend or family who lives in another state - preferably in a state where the congressional respresentatives have not been contacted. All you have to do is call them and ask them to send in the proposed legislation in their name for you. If they do not know about your hobby, there is no need to mention it - you know the story; hobby distilling is something you would like to get into ""IF"" it were made legal and you need their help to get the word out to every Senator and Congressman. There is no budget for mailing costs in this project, so you will have to spring for the stamps. I have already sent a package to one of my brother-in-laws. You can too. We want cover letters to be as personalized as possible, but if you are not sure what to say or how to say it (after reading this forum since June, I find that hard to believe), let me know and I will try to help - we have a sample letter you can use as a guide.

Come on Pennsylvania!!! We need to get a package to Senator Robert C. Casey Jr. See the post above. Private messages on this forum or at allibugger
yahoo.com are welcome.

Alli"
Offline Alli  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:29:47 PM(UTC)
Alli

"Damn, I can't believe I am replying to myself again. Come on Pennsylvania. We need someone to contact Senator Casey. I am sure there are hobby distillers up in the mountains and along the Susquehanna River that can help the cause. How about the folks in Potter County towns like Coudersport or Genesee or Gold? Or along the Susquehanna River in Sunberry or Lockhaven. I know you guys are up there distillingCool spirits right now. Wouldn't it be great to be legal? We need your help. Send in a package to Senator Casey and let me know. Thanks
Alli"
Offline dasorge  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 5:30:18 AM(UTC)
dasorge

Ok.....I'll join in. I was planning on printing off the proposal and sending it to the two senators in Nebraska.
Offline admin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 5:39:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Remember your House representative, too. The more legislators that receive this the better. :)
Offline Alli  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 02, 2013 3:19:27 AM(UTC)
Alli

"dasorge,
That is super. I ask one more favor- once you have mailed to packages, let me know the date and the names of the Senators so I can add them to the list.
Thanks again for your support. Alli"
Offline dasorge  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:15:50 AM(UTC)
dasorge

Alli -- I got the the proposal printed off and will type the cover letter tonight. should get them in the mail on Wed. I will be sending one to each of our Senators: Mike Johanns and Deb Fischer.
Offline admin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:35:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thank you for getting involved, dasorge! :)
Offline Alli  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:07:32 AM(UTC)
Alli

"dasorge,
Thank you very much for your support and help. Alli"
Offline Alli  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:28:13 AM(UTC)
Alli

"Everyone,
See how easy it is, dasorge printed and mailed copies of our proposal to his Senators in Nebraska. Apparently there are no home distillers in Pennsylvania since after all the asking, I got zero replies to send a copy to Senator Casey. Maybe the folks in PA don't have computers or color printers. Maybe they would rather sit back and let others do the work for them. Danger - don't walk behind an Amish buggy. What you step in may be the results of doing nothing.

OK. Now it is Ohio's turn. You folks have two great Senators up there. Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman. Who will vonuteer to send them a copy of our very well written changes to 26 USC? Who will Phone a Friend and ask them to mail it for you? I mailed a copy yesterday and it cost me $1.72. Is this effort worth $1.72 to all you home distillers in Ohio? I think you Ohioians should stress to your Senators the potential for countless small businesses and jobs that will result from the passage of this legislation. Just look at how many wineries and microbreweries have popped up all over the country as a result of the regulation change in 1974 that allowed home brewing and wine making. This is a no-brainer win-win folks. Don't let us down like your neighboring state did. As always, you know how to reach us for help. www.brewhausforum.com or allibugger
yahoo.com.

Your help will appreciated by everyone in home distilling.
Alli"
Offline dasorge  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 07, 2013 6:02:42 AM(UTC)
dasorge

got them to the post office this past Wednesday. Cost me $1.12 per package (regular #10 envelope). Sent them to the addresses in DC. Seeings how the most of the Senate won't return until Monday the 9th, I'm not sure when they will open them. I included version of the sample cover letter someone had came up with (sorry can't seem to find it right now and give them credit). Shall be interesting to see what response I get, if any from my Senators. Whatever I get I shall pass along!
Offline Alli  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 07, 2013 7:29:36 AM(UTC)
Alli

"Dasorge,
Trying to think ahead, the next step of follow-up on responses from across the country will be critical. My guess is that many if not all of the letters sent to congressmen/women will get responses of some kind and making sure we keep the ball rolling will also be critical. I have asked that every congressional response be copied to me so I can track it - I am not nor ever have been an administrative type but will do my best.

I was told by Senator Warner's aid that it typically takes two weeks to get a letter to a congress person. They first go to some place in Maryland to be screened for bad stuff and then are sent to the respective offices. Thanks for letting me know. Alli"
Offline dasorge  
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 08, 2013 4:59:26 AM(UTC)
dasorge

Alli -- Senator Johanns always writes me back some type of response whenever I send him an e-mail note. Depending on what is going on in Washington, it takes anywhere from one to 4 weeks to get a response back. I haven't written Fischer yet. This is the first time I sent snail-mail so shall see how long it takes. Will let you know when and what (if any) word I get back.
Offline dasorge  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:18:58 AM(UTC)
dasorge

Just to let you know....it's been almost 4 1/2 months since I sent my letters to my Senators and to this date I have not heard anything from either of the two.
Offline Alli  
#15 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 3:00:52 AM(UTC)
Alli

Dasorge,
Your lack of response from congress is very typical across our members. Your letter is probably buried under thousands of pieces of correspondence they have not looked at either. You have to remember that these proposals were sent in about the time of the August summer break followed immediately by the shutdown. It was a true circus in DC in those days. There are a couple of ways to get some sort of action. All of this will take a little work:

1) Call your congressional representative's DC office and ask to speak with the aid the handles legislative matters (do the same with your senators) - be sure to get their name, phone number and email address. Explain that you have not heard from your request and ask to email it directly to him/her. Wait a few days if you have still not heard back, follow up with a phone call.

2) Google your congressional representative and senators and get the location of their local offices - they all have them. Find the one closest to you and ask to speak with a constituent representative. The most effective way to get the message out is to make an appointment and hand carry the proposal to them or just show up and talk to whoever is available. If you work all week and can't get off, you can email the proposal to them and then follow-up as before.
Alli
Offline dasorge  
#16 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 9:58:42 AM(UTC)
dasorge

I emailed Senator Johanns today to see if he got my 'package'. I told him I knew he has been busy but to at least acknowledge that he got the info. I also told him if he would like to meet personally I could do that. Shall see what happens from here.
Offline dasorge  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:10:06 AM(UTC)
dasorge

I finally got a response back from Johanns office. It wasn't from him personally -- I think it was one of his aides. Anyway, I was informed to contact my State Senator as this would be a state legislation item. I will send the proposal to Jim Smith (my rep) to see what he can do. I don't think anything will happen this session as this session is only 60 days. I kind of took it from Johanns office that they would not pursue the issue on the Federal level. This is Johanns last term so I'm sure he will not push anything for home distilling. I'll keep you updated on what happens in Nebraska.
Offline fatboi83  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 03, 2014 9:40:30 AM(UTC)
fatboi83

Got a response back from one of the people I sent it to.

February 3, 2014

Dear Murral,
Thank you for contacting me regarding home distillation. I appreciate you reaching out to me about this important issue and sharing this proposal with me. I always appreciate hearing the issues that are important to the residents of northeastern Wisconsin and that may benefit the overall economy.
While there is currently no legislation in the House of Representatives that would grant home distillers the same legal standing as hobby brewers and winemakers, I will keep your thoughts in mind should this issue come before the House in the future. Additionally, because states have considerable jurisdiction over their own alcohol laws, I would also encourage you to share your concerns with Wisconsin State Senator Luther Olsen at (608) 266-0751 and State Representative Kevin Petersen at (608) 266-3794.
I am thankful you made your voice heard, and I hope that you will continue to do so. Our nation and its government are stronger when citizens are willing to engage with one another on the important issues.
Sincerely,

Reid J. Ribble
Member of Congress

P.S. To stay informed on this and other important issues, sign up to receive my e-newsletter, and please follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
Offline dieselduo  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 03, 2014 9:41:57 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
very nice reply
Offline Alli  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:59:19 AM(UTC)
Alli

Good job. Will add to the contact list.
Tom