logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:58:10 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"If you want to hear, first hand, the types of arguments that we will face just listen to the following:

http://traffic.libsyn.co...05-16-13alabamalegal.mp3

A special thanks to ww_kayak for having the insight to bring this to everyone's attention by posting the link on HD here:

http://homedistiller.org...101020&f=15#p7101020

Keep in mind that this recording is only months old. It is a debate over the legalization of home brewing in Alabama. The level of rhetoric is off the charts. It could be used as a case study in the fallacies of argument since vitually every fallacy is exhibited. I honestly don't understand how these people can actually make such ridiculous statements and still get reelected. <*sigh*>

If you have trouble with the mp3, you can listen via ww_kayak's post.

--JB"
Offline Alli  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:50:11 AM(UTC)
Alli

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"John,
I lived in Atlanta for 20 years and worked in Alabama and Mississippi off and on during that time. It is my feeling the so called Bible Belt has shunk to a few states in the south - Alamama and Mississippi are the head of the list. They still have DRY counties of all things. This is driven by long standing religious beliefs that prohibits things like alcohol and the gay lifestyle. This is not going to change anytime soon. There is a saying in the south when you know someone is really whacked out like the legislators on the recording above; you just say ""Well, bless his heart"". That mean he is nuts and can't help it.

I can't worry about Alabama in this project. We will probably never win them over and this fight will have to be dealt with on a state level. I just wish we could get our members to contact their federal representatives. So far the activity is very slow. Alli"
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:25:43 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Texas also has dry counties too(I'm in one of 'em). But, in those counties, it is legal to have up to one quart for personal uses.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:12:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Those people are extremely close minded. They see a still and they automatically think alcohol. They seem to forget that perfumes, soaps, colognes along with water can also be distilled. Medicines are also refined by distilling. They also seem to forget that Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding. It's also in their gasoline now as well. That's what that 10% ethanol is, 200 proof alcohol. I'm a christian by choice. Those people still think that prohibition would work to this day and its already been proven to create more problems than it solved. All we need to get this passed is 36 states and there's alot of them that have passed some laws to legalize home distilling on a hobby level. West Virginia is one of them and I thought they would be one of the few states to go against it like Alabama and Misissippi will.
Offline Alli  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:44:04 AM(UTC)
Alli

I looked up the West Virginia laws in mini-distillery. The application costs $50 - that's good. The mini-distillery can produce 20,000 gallons of spirits per year - that ought to do it. There is a question a zoning - that will be a problem for many home distillers. 20% of the raw materials used in making the product must come from West Virginia - that may or may not be a problem for hobbiest. I think it is a step in the right direction but it ain't what we want. Alli
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:44:05 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
I looked up the West Virginia laws in mini-distillery. The application costs $50 - that's good. The mini-distillery can produce 20,000 gallons of spirits per year - that ought to do it. There is a question a zoning - that will be a problem for many home distillers. 20% of the raw materials used in making the product must come from West Virginia - that may or may not be a problem for hobbiest. I think it is a step in the right direction but it ain't what we want. Alli

It's still a step forward in the right direction. They could've went the opposite direction. This might be the only law we can get. I can live with this law rather than it be completely illegal.
Offline Alli  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:05:18 AM(UTC)
Alli

You are absolutely right. Do you know how it got started?
Offline Hokey  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:44:32 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi everyone. I talked to the newsroom of my local news paper. The girl I talked to said i should send an e-mail to them about the story. I told her I did not want my name and contact info public. She asked if home distilling was going was going on locally and I told her it was. When I mentioned that local politicians had been sent the packet of proposed changes she asked me their names and I told her the name of the local state senator to whom I sent the info. I expect she will contact him. He does have my contact info. Maybe he will get in touch with me then. Or I may need bail $$$. And a new wife. LOL
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:33:16 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
You are absolutely right. Do you know how it got started?

No I don't to be honest about it. I've been wanting to legally make alcohol fuel since 2006.