logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline stillwagon  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:02:35 AM(UTC)
stillwagon

Groups: Registered

"I posted this in the fermentation section as well. I have my rum recipe that I will soon begin production with and it makes a nice rum, but I want more body in my dark and spiced rums.

Arroyo stated the use of the clostridium saccharobutyricum bacteria increases the production of desirable esters improving the flavor profile of their rum. I believe this is a more scientific approach to the effect aged dunder use in a ferment has. Allowing the open air aging of dunder attracts various fungi and bacteria to infect the base. But it is a haphazard approach that may or may not give you the effect wanted.

Arroyo isolated the strain of bacteria and when it should be introduced to the ferment (6-12 hours after fermentation begins.) The alcohol levels in the wash kill the bacteria at the end of the fermentation, leaving behind the esters he was after.

Has anyone else read this? What do you think?"
Offline stillwagon  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 7:14:13 AM(UTC)
stillwagon

I found a few more labs that sell the bacteria. One in England, a couple in Asia, and another private firm in the US. I have an inquiry with the US firm. An interesting side note is that this bacteria is also sold as a probiotic in capsule form, for the regulation of normal gut activities and to help control diarrhea. It is used in various industrial applications, producing a variety of products. It is non-pathogenic and is a normal inhabitant of the human gut in the mid intestinal region.

Relatedly, I was given a two step yeast protocol that uses a low alcohol tolerant/high ester producing yeast In the first part of fermentation, This yeast dies out at about 2% ABV. Then the second yeast is pitched to finish out the ferment. I will let you know how this goes as well. (should anyone be interested....)
Offline stillwagon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:54:00 PM(UTC)
stillwagon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]896[/ATTACH] Cultures are in!
stillwagon attached the following image(s):
cultures.jpg (64kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.