logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RCRed  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:13:48 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Greetings fellow forum members

Thought I'd share the garden and it's adventures with y'all...

Hence, the garden plot.... Back in early June.. The wheat in the field in the background was really nice his year... The soil in the garden was amended as most the earth here is what we call "gumbo" and has the consistiency of concrete when dry, and baby crap when wet. So, it's had untold tons of sand, compost and "gumbo buster" added to get it loamy and suitable for home veg gardening.

No liberals were composted in the ammendment of this soil - I don't like the taste it imparts on the plants. That form of crap actuallly grows mushrooms better.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]879[/ATTACH]

Some squash and peppers I took last weekend....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]880[/ATTACH]

And no Texas garden is complete w/o tomatoes !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]881[/ATTACH]

Green beans are a coming, along with some melons, and of course... more squash...

Enjoy
RCRed attached the following image(s):
Garden_June_1bh.jpg (36kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
peppers_n_squash_June22_1bh.jpg (65kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
tomatoes_jun22_bh.jpg (29kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline googe  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:22:36 PM(UTC)
googe

Very nice mate, there very healthy looking vegies :-D. We have a small vegie garden because we live in suburbia atm. It produces some wonderful stuff though, most of the work is done by the missus but I do a bit when I can. We have just finished tomato season, it was the best year so far, they just kept producing, we had to make relishes and sauces just so we could keep up lol. We have, beans, snow peas, carrots, capsicum, spring onions, chives, bassel, tyme, parsley, sage, silver beet, spinach, I know I've forgotten some things lol. Our lettuce has gone crazy this year, cant eat enough of it lol. I'll find some pics and post them if o can.
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:44:14 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Todays Harvest - Hybrid Giant Black Zuchinni, Yaller Squash, Butternut squash,Bell, Serrano, Pablano, Cayenne, Banana, and Jalapeno peppers, and three tomatoes, 1 of which has been consumed already.

Unbelieveable that these things survive 100+ heat all summer and still produce fruit. Most species are dormant like my maters - 3 fruits from 12 mater plants *shesh*

Not peppers or squash... Just keep the durn things wet!
RCRed attached the following image(s):
harvest_81713_1280.jpg (186kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline Chickenhawk  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:41:08 AM(UTC)
Chickenhawk

When the wife makes tomato sauce I save all the stuff the juicer spits out and use it in whatever grain I am mashing at the time. I don't think it adds much in the way of anything fermentable but adds nutrients and interesting flavors.
Offline RCRed  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:53:47 PM(UTC)
RCRed

We didn't get enough tomatoes to make juice outa them.. they are a big fav around here and tend to get eaten fairly quickly....Squash on the other hand.. I put a sign on them aside the highway "Free to good skillet"... BigGrin
Offline Chickenhawk  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:14:35 AM(UTC)
Chickenhawk

Wish we weren't to far apart to swap, I have tons of tomatoes and no squash this year. I'd swap a jug with you too...
Offline RCRed  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 9:06:33 AM(UTC)
RCRed

You know, that's a thought.. I sent all kinds of stuff over the country, boat dolly's, boats, computers, musical instr.,etc.. I've never tried to overnight a squash. UserPostedImageSome fellows I work with up in Pittsburgh asked me to "overnight" them.. [ATTACH=CONFIG]902[/ATTACH]
Offline old stump juicer  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 1:37:38 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

RC we have some kind of virus in the soil here in my area that really screws our tomatoes and squash up.
Last spring I planted tomatoes in three different locations and still didn't get many. As soon as they started bearing the plants began to die, same with my squash.
My pepper always does good but last summer my bell pepper was outstanding, the best I've ever raised. It is ironic but I really don't like bell pepper eaten raw but when it is sliced and packed in vinegar with cayenne or jalapeno and allowed to take on some real heat it becomes my favorite.
Offline RCRed  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 3:38:29 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Hmmm.. Well, they make some treatments to deal with that virus. I recommend that you take a few samples (from each spot you mentioned) of soil, and send them to the Alabama Dpt. of Ag, or the ag college for a test. They can tell you what virus it is and how to deal with it.

Viruses in Texas are rampant, and one has to be really careful ... Seems there's a damn virus for every plant here.. The answer for me is to buy plant starts from local nurseries or veg farms where they have been hardened agin the local problems. I also use a spray on product that is a three way prevention too. Last year, my 'maters were the best they'd been in years here. As usual, once the extreme heat starts they all went dormant until the fall. I usually cut them waaay back when it gets hot too. I read one fool on the internet literally cuts all the branches and leaves save for a handful and then just keeps them watered until the heat fades... I'm not that anal, but I do trim them back because all it does is grow vines and leaves all summer and is a damn mess come the fall.

The missus will eat them peppers raw right off the vine like a child with a damn apple straight from the tree. She complains all winter because the ones she gets from the store have no flavor... I grow Cayenne right next to the bell and serrano peppers and they all share a bit Wink

Squash? I end up putting boxes of them out on the county road with a sign on front of them saying "Free to home w/iron skillets" They just get clean the hell outa hand here on this patch. Now, I almost never plant them next to the 'maters, mostly on account the squash plants want a lot of area to spread out. Maybe that's why I am not getting the viral's on them.

I have gumbo earth by default here, but I spent the first four years here folding cushion sand, and gumbo buster compost (Compost w/1/4 sized bits of extruded shale that was sent thru a kiln) to a depth of 10" in the garden square. I used the disc attachment on the tractor to start as that raw earth was like the concrete you'd find on the interstate. After that, it was hand tilling till it was fine and loamy to the touch.

Every year, it gets a refresher load of gumbo buster and tilled in...
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 6:23:07 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Boy do I miss the garden. Great RED :)
Offline RCRed  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 6:52:54 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Boy do I miss the garden. Great RED :)
Yes sir, and it's prep time now, so I found it pretty interesting this thread got piqued up today BigGrin (Doesn't take much for me as you can see)

I was out this past weekend making an assay of where to start for this year in the garden. It's about to get tilled over in advance of the tater's going in on one side, and I flip (till) the whole garden when I do that - Hate doing crap over and over, and besides it's good to turn that earth a few times prior to planting and break up any root systems that grew in over the winter - helps a lot with weed control (wild grasses with huge root tubers) here, or so I was told by the Tx State Ag people. It supposedly also helps with the mold varieties, but I still use the fungus and mold inhibitors regardless..

And I pretty much document the grow every year with pix and a journal, so look for RcRed's 2014 Garden thread in an off topic area near you soon BigGrin My Dad (who is 88) likes to follow along at home from NC and "advise" me where I am going wrong Wink
Offline old stump juicer  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 9:27:03 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

"That sounds good but a little like work, it's a good thing we look at this as a hobby.
I'm not sure where in Texas you are but we tend to share weather with Houston, whatever Houston gets today we usually have two days later,similar temps' storms etc
I don't have the issue's with my soil that you do as I'm very near to Alabama's Black belt but the weeds are my mortal enemy and they usually win before summer is gone. All it takes is about a two week rainy spell and It becomes hopeless, I can't catch up!"
Offline RCRed  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 1:33:12 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Heya Stump,

I am about 50 m ne of Dallas, about a hours drive from Brewhaus o'er in Keller. We get everyone else's left over weather here Wink I use wide rows as I have a small acreage and so I can allocate a lot of area as a garden. the wide rows are so you can use the hand tiller down the row and then only have a smaller weed track to deal with - now, I almost never see a two week rainy spell after May around here. But we have had up to a week's worth...And my neighbors have all asked me why I am outside pullin' weeds in a rainstorm...Simple really, they come out easier and I get all the root when they do... Wink

Yes sir, it is a ton of work initially, but after that I try to keep it up by going out there just about every night and pulling what I can. I am really fortunate in that my employment allows working from home but at the same time a fella can get desk bound and so I love the diversion. Another cool part is that you can spend the time that would have been spent commuting to the city in the garden (or shed) instead Wink

And I get to look like the damn fool kid I really am Wink
Offline old stump juicer  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 3:14:00 PM(UTC)
old stump juicer

A few years ago I purchased an Earth Way garden seeder, before that I laid all my rows off with one of my tractors which resulted in a 48" row spacing, this required me to make two trips down every middle just to clean out my worst weeds. When the rows are more than 200 feet long and the temperature is in the high 90's and you have 2 or more acres planted it will whip your butt quickly!
With the EarthWay I can adjust my row spacing and I hope to get it right this year,(last year I got them too close and was therefore screwed on using the tiller).
My wife and children refuse to help me with the garden because things are too easy to get at the grocery store and their leisure time is too important. I try to instill on them that with our president economic situation we need to be practiced in our ability to fend for ourselves, but you know I'm just a little paranoid and should just chill out!
Offline old stump juicer  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 3:25:26 PM(UTC)
old stump juicer

"I was trying to post from photobucket but was a little confused as to which format I should use since non of them match what you suggested. Here is what I see, Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML code
HTML thumb
IMG code
IMG thum
Which should I use, thanks Juicer."
Offline RCRed  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 5:00:22 PM(UTC)
RCRed

I'm pretty hillbillae about laying out the rows. I actually use the tiller (Rear tine, self-propelled 12hp monster).. Since I cross till anyhow, I make the final tilling pass at an angle.

Then, I set the tiller deep, and raise the inside (the row side) dirt pane up all the way so it leaves a small furrow as you go. I then make the lines, two tiller widths wide which are the beds. the walkways have the angle pattern left in em and are not tilled as deep (4" versus 8").

I am not doin' two acres worth (yet) - my rows are 75' long and the beds are 36" wide. But I agree (And no, you are not paranoid), with the situation as it is, we all need to be taking care to provide for ourselves and local neighbors. Me missus is a career type, never lived in the country so picking/eatin' vegs is her strength.. first field mouse she see's and there's a burn path to the house where she has afterburnered to get away Wink She does help mow, however, and handles the zero-turn well. I hit more fence posts that she does... Wink
Offline old stump juicer  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:50:39 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

My wife is like a pro on our zero-turn, it is a Bad-Boy commercial with a 60 "deck, she love's it.
I'm thinking about building a better cultivator for my tractors and just go back to laying out my rows with them, then maybe I could minimize the time behind the rear tine tiller.I have plenty of room as my creek garden spot is about 6 acres in size but I normally just plant a fraction of that. I used to plant it all in corn until fertilizer and diesel got so expensive.
Offline RCRed  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:01:35 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Neighbor of mine has a tiller attachment that runs off the PTO - beats the hell outa the hand tiller...

But he wants too much oaked for me.. Wink I too blew big coin & went for a commercial model when I got the zero turn - heard stories about the cheapie ones and how you were better off with a commercial one if you are dealing with >3 acres of finish mowing every other week (And sometimes once a week here in NE Texas)...
Offline old stump juicer  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:47:08 PM(UTC)
old stump juicer

I have a pto tiller but the gear box is busted and a replacement is quiet expensive, otherwise it's almost new.
My first zero turn was a Cub Cadet RZT50 it was and still is a great mower. I handed it down to my son who put new tires on it and it still runs great.
I cut commercially with it for two years and then still got six more years of service here at home before I got the bug to upgrade. My lawn is near 4 acres so I can attest to the durability of that mower( it had the B&S motor by the way.)
Offline scotty  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:52:02 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: old stump juicer Go to Quoted Post
I was trying to post from photobucket but was a little confused as to which format I should use since non of them match what you suggested. Here is what I see, Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML code
HTML thumb
IMG code
IMG thum
Which should I use, thanks Juicer.

OK ITS A few STEP THING

1- copy the image code (( [ IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/bikes%20and%20friends/DCP_0743.jpg[ /IMG]

2- The above info is more than you want/need
3- go to the end and remove-- [/url]
4- go to the middle of the mess and delete all from before [img] to the start of the whole mess
5 you should have information that starts with [img] and ends with [/img]
6 that's what you need to post an image

UserPostedImage

((( WHO YOU CALLIN A SHOW OFF LOL )))