logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:30:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Well I ordered two all grain beer kits and I'm gonna use my new fermenters I guess. The kits I ordered were a Shiner Bock and a Newcastle Nut brown. I think the darker beers will cover off flavors ( like pickle juice) if they happen to sneak in. I'm also gonna use the BIAB (brew in a bag) method of brewing. The kits arent here yet but if anybody wants me to add some pics just let me know and I sure will. I know this is a stillin site but this is a beer thread so what the heck ya know........anyway brew on!Cool
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:33:04 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Well this is one of the AllGrain kits I'm gonna make its a ShinerBock and I'm gonna use liquid yeast too. This is how it comes, nice neat little 9 lb bag of grains. All the essentials to get started.Cool
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:37:10 AM(UTC)
heeler

"And since I 'm useing liquid yeast this is how I make a starter with it. Thats just DME that I boiled for sanitation and its ready for the flask. I use 1 cup of DME to 1 quart of water and thats gets me close to the 1050 gravity that this recipe calls for. Some like higher and thats not wrong but this is what the instruction called for so no worries.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:39:42 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Just a look at the stir plate and the yeast vial...
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:42:03 AM(UTC)
heeler

"And of course once I was up and running I remembered that the Erlynmeyer flask is second now that I found the little milk jug flask. So I swapped out the wort and replaced the flask with the other one...just because!
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:45:24 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Oh but I got ahead of myself..this is how I cool my starter wort before adding yeast. By the time I got the flask over to the stir plate I think it prolly lost a few more degrees in temp so it was prolly closer to 80F than 90F
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:47:51 AM(UTC)
heeler

I did'nt really plan my starter right and only had this flask on the plate about 8 hours but when I added it to the fermenter it took off and started fermenting pretty fast so I'm not too worried it'll finish when it finishes.
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:53:14 AM(UTC)
heeler

"After I heated my water to mash temp plus, ( what you loose when you add grains) I added the grains and this is how I do my 90 min mash. This really holds the heat and theres not really any temp loss, I know its kinda ghetto but it works like a charm. I remove the BOP from the fryer stand so I can use it to heat up my sparge water.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:58:03 AM(UTC)
heeler

"After the mash period I remove the grain bag and sparge to get all the sugar out of the grains and put it back on the burner for the 90 boil. I always use my little wind block even in the garage just cause I dont want to take any chances on a gust of wind blowing out the flame. You can see the timer on the ohgd and if you look inside the BOP its down about an inch thats what boiled off in the 30 minutes or so before I could get a pic. And it will loose more of course because I still have another hour to go.RollEyes You can also see the little string tied to the left handle -thats my hops sack - that helps eleminate hops sludge in the wort.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:02:20 AM(UTC)
heeler

"So here we are after tucking it into the ferm/chiller for 12-14 days. I'm not gonna do a secondary but leave it here and go straight to the bottling bucket after fermentation is finished. Now nothing to do but keep it cool and wait.Cool
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:24:17 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Well today is day 12 I think, I crashed my Newcastle Nut Brown Ale last night (3 gravity readings that did'nt move so I think its ready) and this morning I bottled it up. It seemed my new fermenter pickle buckets are gonna do just fine, no pickle odor at all after fermentation. It was prolly a good thing that this was a dark beer which I'm sure helped hide any pickle flavor from coming through but I did'nt get any smells so I'm happy for now.
Here I'm just transfering the finished brew to the bottling bucket and I'm using my autosyphon -- thats the ticket even if this was a likker wash I still use that little gem.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:27:10 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is just a look inside and you can see I tie a little hop sack over the end of the autosyphon just to keep any goop from getting my beer. I like it nice and clear.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:30:04 AM(UTC)
heeler

"And the end result.....just shy of 2 cases of Newcastle Nut Brown Ale. I'm gonna give em 3 weeks to condition and carbinate and then its time for a homebrew.
UserPostedImage"