logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Fusefinder  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 9:45:41 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

Groups: Registered

"Having issues with my PSII HC 8 gallon internal heater, using in reflux mode after 1 hour refluxing. Usually about the second pint of birdwatchers recipe. The temp rises quick and I am spewing 1pt to 1qt of low quality 45% tails smelling junk out in a few seconds. then it stabilizes for a while. I run another pint out of good quality then put the junk back in and it spews right back out again.
The only thing that I have changed over several runs are Yeast nutrients and adding Epsom salt to the wash to help yeast. I cleaned copper rolls a wash or two ago (24 runs total out of copper, washing after every run and boiling a few times between).
Any ideas as to why it spews like that?"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 10:25:17 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Fusefinder Go to Quoted Post
Having issues with my PSII HC 8 gallon internal heater, using in reflux mode after 1 hour refluxing. Usually about the second pint of birdwatchers recipe. The temp rises quick and I am spewing 1pt to 1qt of low quality 45% tails smelling junk out in a few seconds. then it stabilizes for a while. I run another pint out of good quality then put the junk back in and it spews right back out again.
The only thing that I have changed over several runs are Yeast nutrients and adding Epsom salt to the wash to help yeast. I cleaned copper rolls a wash or two ago (24 runs total out of copper, washing after every run and boiling a few times between).
Any ideas as to why it spews like that?

What makes you think that you are spewing tails???? That part of the run would be 200F + or - a degree or so. Tails are the last part of the run.

You said you I get some good then some bad then some good again, that does sound very strange......I take it you stopped the run to add the tails back in and then started again???

So you added your entire wash to the boiler and what you describe happened in that order???

You might need to revamp your stillin plan, and by that I mean...add your wash, run your still until its done, then add back whatever you want to re-distill."
Offline Fusefinder  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:42:54 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"This was about the 20th run I've done in reflux mode without any issues like this previously. Racked the wash from my fermentation bucket into the Kettle, trying to make sure I didn't pull any sediment from the bottom in. Stirred in 1-1/2TBS Kosher Salt. Next I heated my kettle to 173 degree (cracking the top cooling valve slightly) pulled off the first 2 oz. Then opened the top cooling valve full to reflux mode temp dropped to 130+/- for a little over 1 hour. I then closed the valve to keep head temp about 173 pulled another 2 oz. off into the fores jar.
The first pint the temps were around 173+/- then they quick rose to about 179 degrees when my drip, drip, drip turned to a steady stream, then to looking like someone turned a faucet on. I happen to have a quart jar there I quickly filled under 10 seconds. At this point I opened the top cooling valve full and dropped temps back under 150, then steadily adjusted back to 174-175 couldn't get back down to the 173 I was at before, but pulled a lot of product out quick. It indicated about 45% once it cooled (it came out very, very warm) on the hygrometer. It had a tailsy smell, not the clean cut I usually get in the first half of my run.
Once steady at 174-175 I pulled another pint with a considerably lower percentage than I usually do.
I thought maybe the kettle foamed up and that's what spewed from the top, I took out the plug and poured the quart back in, let it reflux for a bit then tried to adjust back to lower 170's when it spewed right back out. Everything I pulled out after that had a tailsy smell so it went into the rerun carboy for another day.
What I did not describe in the first post was I ran 2 buckets 2"" from the top and racked to 2"" from the bottom both separate runs with very similar effects. Both ingredients were almost the same. Looking back at recipe this was first time using Yeast nutrients and Epsom salt and had been sitting in a closed bucket with airlock for 8 weeks start until I could run them. (I have has run sit for a while 4-6 weeks before).
My first thought is something foamed up in the kettle and caused the spew?
Everything other than the nutrients were tried and true processes with very good results, next time back to the very basics and see what happens.
I just wondered if anyone else had encountered the quick spew out the top before?
Thanks for your input."
Offline jf77389  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2013 9:35:11 AM(UTC)
jf77389

I would love to hear this answer cuz I have the same thing happening.
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2013 10:56:44 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: jf77389 Go to Quoted Post
I would love to hear this answer cuz I have the same thing happening.

You just said you got rid of your equipment didn't you????? :)
Offline jf77389  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:27:14 AM(UTC)
jf77389

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
You just said you got rid of your equipment didn't you????? :)

Yes I did, but I enjoy this hobby. I'll probably get new equipment once this gov crap plays out"
Offline navyshine  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2017 7:31:01 PM(UTC)
navyshine

This just happened with my first run of my new 8 gallon.
I noticed a few things odd that I did wrong looking back. First, I hurried the clearing agent from 12-18 hours to about 6. I was in a hurry to try out the new still. Second, I poured my mash into the still instead of siphoning like usual.
I know the spewing out was a pressure build up. I thought the stirring of the ceramic rashigs was normal. I now know that isn't the case. After the second spew I stopped the run and pulled the top part of the column off. My column packing had been blown up into the top section. At first I assumed that my hurried mash was the issue. I set back and thought about it for 2 days and ran some more.

The first thing I thought of was the copper packing being too tight and building up pressure. I took it out and low and behold I had it was too tight. I cut about 12-15 inches off of each roll and repacked it.
Next thing I had my condenser input wrong. This made me have to work harder to keep my water cool. It is still frozen outside so I have to use a bucket and ice with pump. That is also where I figured I had an issue of the reflex being too cold and making the steam back up and build pressure.
Ran another round and not one issue. I am completely shocked of the gallon plus of 98% alcohol it was producing.
On a side note. I had an old worm that I re purposed to cool my holding tank with my main water pump. I use a second bucket that I add ice to cool my main water. My ice usage dropped drastically. Plus I get just cold water into the reflux and not the ice cold in case that was part of my issue.