logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gravelier  
#21 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 6:13:35 AM(UTC)
Gravelier

Groups: Registered

Hey JB:

Thanks for your insight and I see your logic for not doing the iodine test (IT). I think that I will keep on doing the IT as it is simple and easy and if you really look at how fast and how dark it turns, it can give an idea as to what is happening. Especially when understanding the interferences. When I had reached the point where I thought I should have had conversion, the sample didn't turn as black as at first. Thats another reason why I figured I would pitch the yeast. So my inkling is confirmed by your observations and what I have also recently observed. I did an SG this morning on the wash. It was 1.000. So, it appears that I may be lucky enough to get it right. I received my order from Brewhaus and I got some gluco. I'm not going to add any to the current wash to see if it will work out any further. But I am going to use some on the next corn/grain mash.

Give me your insight on this: What I was hoping for was that the alpha amylase (AA) would break down the starches in the corn, and I was hoping that the malted barley would help with the unmalted wheat. It may have actually worked and the IT may have only indicated suspended materials as you stated. I really like the taste of the corn in the final product. I might be crazy, but I like it. Whenever I do an SG, I thief out enough wash to float the hydrometer and taste the wash before throwing the sample out. The present corn/wheat/barley 50/25/25, doesn't have enough corn taste. I'll have to see how it tastes after I run it through the still. I liked the 70/30 corn to barley better.

So, what do you use all of the rice for? What is your final product? I am always open to try something new. I am probably like you in being a non-taster. National Geographic did an article years ago on taste buds. It was really interesting on people that they call super tasters and non-tasters. My wife is a super taster, and my son inherited this. Myself and my daughter are non-tasters. We both really love the hot sauces, and spicy foods. Almost the hotter the better.

Never stop learning.

G.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#22 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 7:18:34 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm not a big fan of corn as I haven't found a bourbon that I like ... and I assume that the particular flavor/feel of bourbon that I don't care for is due to the corn. I enjoy Irish whiskey and brandy ... and there have been few scotch products that agree with my tastes as well ... non of them give me that particular bourbon flavor/feel that I'm talking about. I have nothing against corn, it just isn't for me. So I don't use it as part of the hobby and accordingly don't have any experience. However, an FG of 1.000 sounds like a success to me ... so it appears you're on target with your process. I don't know if I'd bother with any gluco ... or maybe just toss some in as your mash cools ... or a few spoons prior to pitching the yeast.

As for the rice ... well, it started out as a vehicle to play with enzymes ... it's cheap and plentiful. But it has become a bit of a passion as I've learned more. Right now I'm working on rice whiskey and rice wine. I want to see if I can get a rice wine with an appropriate flavor for dilluting the oaked rice whiskey. And I'm still not satisfied that the toasting for my oak sticks has hit the sweet spot to suit my tastes. So I've been using the enzymes for the whiskey/wine and recently started playing around with culturing koji. I haven't had much success with the koji cultures ... it's getting better ... but I apparently have a lot more to learn. :)

Anyway, with the warmer weather on its way I'll probably get back to the sugar washes and the typical AG grains and pick up the rice again when things start to cool back down.

BTW: I've been a big hot sauce/spicy food person as well ... perhaps that proves that I'm a non-taster.