logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mkjt88  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:58:36 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Groups: Registered

This is what I did for my 5 gal wash of SF likker. I used an all grain Corn Oats and Barley with molasses feed.. the cheap stuff.

First add 4 inches of feed to your 5 gal bucket. After you get that transfer it to a pot on the stove ready to cook. Add water to the feed.. depending on the pot size I just filled mine up to where it covered all the feed and a few inches over. I only had a 12qt pot so I couldn't add as much water as I really wanted but it still works. Now after you add the water get your thermometer and heat it to 150 F. Once at 150 kill the heat or turn it way down and keep it at 145-150 F for atleast an hour. I did mine for 90min. Don't heat it much over 150 and keep it stirred good the whole time. Atleast every 10-15 min or so or else it will burn.

After you get it cooked for the hour or so it's time to transfer to your fermenter. What I did was get a strainer and poured it through that. Now the first few strainer fulls I poured a bit of hot water over it and pressed them out to get all the sugars. I then trashed it. The second half of the grain I just added right in the fermenter so I know I'll get a good flavor and I know I'm not wasting any sugars in it.

Now add 5-7 lbs of sugar.. I added 7 as I like my SG to be at 1.080 for all my washes. After dissolving all your sugar top your fermenter off with cold water. Once full take out a 3-5 cups or anywhere around there and cool down to under 95 F and add 2 packets of bakers yeast. While your yeast takes off and re-hydrates in the small container keep stirring to your main wash to aerate it good and try to cool it down. After it all cools in an hour or two pitch your yeast and lock it down. I'm looking for the wash to take about 7-10 days to finish.
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:04:15 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Sound like you covered it. I didnt realise you added sugar to that recipe-- i guess the sweet feed is for flavor.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:09:13 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Here are some notes from John Palmers book.
It has me thinking that you may have needed nitrient and energizer

Yeast cannot live on sugar alone. Yeast also need nitrogen, and amino and fatty acids to enable them to live and grow. The primary source for these building blocks is the free amino nitrogen (FAN) and lipids from the malted barley. Refined sugars like table sugar, corn sugar or candy sugar do not contain any of these nutrients. And, it is common for extracts (especially kit extracts targeted toward a particular style) to be thinned with refined sugars to lighten the color or reduce the cost of production. An all-malt beer has all the nutrition that the yeast will need for a good fermentation, but all-extract beers may not have sufficient FAN to promote adequate growth. Since malt extract is commonly used for yeast starters, it is always a good idea to add some yeast nutrients to ensure good yeast growth.
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:11:47 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Sorry..but I lost interest in this thread when the word cooking came up. You have an understanding Little Bride. If I come in the house wanting to cook five pounds of SF on the kitchen stove..the Warden would call the cops most likely. Why do you want to go to all this toil and trouble? It aint all that complicated. You have apparently come under bad influences. Mix the sugar and SF in the fermenter. Dump a gallon of boiling water and hit it slightly with the paint stirring gimzo. Put on the lid and let it simper for a couple of hours..then top it off with hose water. Let it cool down and pitch. That bring you out at the same place without the Deevorce or going to the crossbar hotel on domestic violence charges..etc. Let us stay updated on this matter. Thanks.
Offline Mkjt88  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:39:25 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Sorry..but I lost interest in this thread when the word cooking came up. You have an understanding Little Bride. If I come in the house wanting to cook five pounds of SF on the kitchen stove..the Warden would call the cops most likely. Why do you want to go to all this toil and trouble? It aint all that complicated. You have apparently come under bad influences. Mix the sugar and SF in the fermenter. Dump a gallon of boiling water and hit it slightly with the paint stirring gimzo. Put on the lid and let it simper for a couple of hours..then top it off with hose water. Let it cool down and pitch. That bring you out at the same place without the Deevorce or going to the crossbar hotel on domestic violence charges..etc. Let us stay updated on this matter. Thanks.

You know I thought it was converting starches to sugars so I gave it some more reading. After a few google searches I guess without any malted grain I was doing nothing but adding flavor to the water so your dumping boiling water and letting sit will do the same thing.

And scotty ya I added the sugar because had a very very low SG without. The molasses in the grain I think were the only sugars correct?
Offline fatboylo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:55:03 PM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post

Big I love your post and simplicity, I know it sure made it easier on a new feller like me when I's started!!!!!!!!!
Offline Bushy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:04:10 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Mkjt88, If you add about a pound to a pound and a half of malted barley to your next mash it will help to convert the starches in the SF to sugars and do what you thought you were doing when you mashed this batch. It's not necessary to use all malted grains but you do need some otherwise you don't get the conversion your looking for.
Some folks, like me, when useing un malted grains with added malted grains will mash for 3 hours or more in order to convert as much of the unmalted starches into sugars as possible. Heat your pot up like you did and turn the fire off. Then put a lid on it. If your pot don't have a lid use a cutting board. When you go to stir check the temp and keep it within your range. The more malted grain you use the less time needed to mash, though longer mashes are useful to conversion. Whisky and Bourbons are made with All Grains, AG, no sugar, and run in a pot still.
Other than that your on the right track.

Have Fun.
Offline Mkjt88  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:45:41 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Appreciate the knowledge.. Guess I'll do bigwheels way and skip the cooking
Offline Mkjt88  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:53:26 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Running my first batch of this wash now. Heads just finished up and got my first taste of it.. My verdict.. Pretty good. Nothing spectacular over the cornmeal washes but slightly different for the better. Also the grains are 200% easier to strain and dispose of rather than that nasty cornmeal.. Man it's a mess. I'll keep posted after it airs out and give final results. Man I love this hobby!
Offline Mkjt88  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:31:35 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Well got some great results. From running half of my wash and about 30 or so oz. of tails from my last run.. I got 3.5 jars of good stuff ranging from 67%-45%. The last half jar is the 45%.. it's a bit tailsy I'm gonna have to let it air out and see whats gonna happen with it.. I may add it in with the rest I'm collecting now and re-run. This is the best run I've done to date.. most likker per run and beat my high of highest abv from my home made pot still :).
Offline Mkjt88  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 8:28:54 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Originally Posted by: Mkjt88 Go to Quoted Post
Appreciate the knowledge.. Guess I'll do bigwheels way and skip the cooking

Well the other day I finished up my third batch of this stuff. The first two I did by keeping the feed at 140-160 and cook for about 30 min to an hour. The last one I did I just boiled water and stirred it in till it cooled. Everything else was the same. My latest batch with the boil is average 5% weaker and ever slightest different smell and taste. I also got jut under a 1/3 less product. I dunno if it's something different or just that batch wasn't as good but I'm sticking with the slower cooler approach on cooking my feed.

Now what I found out that I love is blending some different aging techniques. I've always used cherry wood for aging and recently got some white oak. I like the oak more but kinda miss the cherry so I mixed. I aged them seperately for about a week.. Give or take a day or two until I liked them. Then I mix 2/3 oak and 1/3 cherry and damn it's some of the smoothest 120 proof I've ever tasted. It's got a great after taste to it and suggest someone giving it a shot. I've had a buddy tell me this actually tastes like whiskey.. So I succeeded there lol. let me know what you think.
Offline chy46  
#12 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 10:50:06 AM(UTC)
chy46

can anyone tell me what kind yeast would be best ???
Offline Mkjt88  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:55:42 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

I use fleishmans.. Sp?... Which is bread yeast That you can buy in packets at the grocery store. Ive never used any other kind so can't comment on them.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:58:05 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

I don't use this recipe but i have gotten good results with Fleischmann's as well. I have only tried turbo, ec-1118 and Fleischmann's and i like Fleischmann's best. Can't get distiller's yeast or whiskey yeast where i am.
Offline chy46  
#15 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 6:47:49 PM(UTC)
chy46

If you are usin g 5-7 lbs. of sugar with this recept , what kind of yeld would you get ?
Offline RCRed  
#16 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 5:14:26 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
"Mkjt...A question - Did you use the malted barley on the second or third batch?

I'm preparing a SF wash and was gonna add it.."