logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#21 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:40:13 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Bushy,

Quote:
Pic #2 is of my crude setup for drilling the staves to add more surface area. There are a lot of ways to add surface area to the sticks.

I just did some math on this ... I don't believe I made any mistakes ...

[COLOR=""#FF0000""]In order to increase the surface area, the diameter of the hole must be less than half of its width.[/COLOR]

For example, when using a 1/4 inch drill bit, the thickness of the wood (length of hole) must be at least 1/2 inch in order to realize an increase in surface area. Basically, we're removing two circles (top and bottom surfaces) and replacing them with a cylinder (without a top and bottom) ... which is why we need a minimum thickness in order to get an increase. However, if a hole is not drilled all the way through (like only half way) we wouldn't be trading two circles for a cylinder ... we'd only be adding a cylinder ... so we'd always get an increase in surface area regardless of the thickness of the wood.

Anyway, if the wood is thick enough, I think we'll get the biggest bang for the buck by drilling holes that don't go all the way through. Maybe drill half way through, staggered on each side. What do you think?

BTW: This only speaks to surface area ... it totally ignores any ""flow"" that may (or may not) occur with a hole that passes all the way through ... but I'm not sure if that's even significant.

--JB"
Offline Bushy  
#22 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:11:32 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi JB , I have'nt done the math but what you say about not going through sounds right. For the flow aspect maybe drill a 1/2" depression and then an 1/8" hole through the center.
During the sanding of the sticks I bevel the inside edges of the 1/2" holes to add surface area already. When I post the pic's I'll try to makes sure that's visible.
On the pic showing the rough shapes the third stick from the top is drilled with a 3/8" bit and then the top edges are tapered with a counter sink bit but you can't really tell from the pic.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:31:20 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

I soaked one of my sticks in filtered water and left the other stick dry. Then dropped them into two separate jars, each with 4 oz of 50% neutral spirit to see what would happen. You can see from the picture that initially, the soaked stick added color quicker, but after only 10 days there is little difference in the color. I can't comment on the flavor as 10 days is way too short of an aging period ... but so far, I see no advantage to soaking the sticks.

The left side is the jar with the soaked stick, the right side has the dry stick.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]751[/ATTACH]

--JB
John Barleycorn attached the following image(s):
compare.jpg (53kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline Bushy  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:33:38 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi JB, nice format on those pics. Makes it real easy to see the differences. What type of sticks did you use, light, medium, dark, or chared?

In ageing with sticks I've found that tasteing before ten days usually makes my nose wrinkle and lips curl. It seems to take at least a month for the tannins to start to mellow.

I have'nt done any toasting on my sticks as yet. My Wife decided I needed to build a pantry cabinet for her first. Darn cabinet was a three day project but with work interfering it's takeing two weeks. But I did get some more unused stave sections, the guy even cut the broken part out. Two pieces of chared and one piece of dark.
I should be done with the Wife's project this week and be able to get back to the sticks when work will allow it.

Keep us posted on the color and flavor changes
Offline John Barleycorn  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:35:35 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"I used the two sticks shown in the picture earlier in this thread ... the ones that look to be between a medium and dark toast. And as usual, sir, you are correct. The aroma and flavor are not very appealing. I only sampled a teaspoon worth from each ... not even close to something I'd be proud of. Since they were basically identical by the 10 day mark, I decided to combine the contents into a single jar with one stick. I'm going to just let this continue and I'll snap a photo every so often along the way.

I've read that the toasted sticks take a good while (measured in months rather than days/weeks) to have any significant effect on the flavor ... and that the flavor is likely to get considerably worse before it gets better?? But I also read a paper from Copper Run Distillery that makes the statement:
Quote:
Indeed, we've not been a fan of Bourbon generally, but we have found corn whiskey aged in a medium toast American wine barrel strikingly superior to most any Bourbon available on the market.

Which is pretty much me ... I'm not a fan of Bourbon ... I guess just don't like the corn flavor. But I'm encouraged by their apparent enthusiasm for toasted (v. charred). I'm thinking that many complaints about aging on toasted oak are due to poor quality distillate from the get-go, then a failure to give it enough time. Or conversely, that some preferences for charred sticks/chips are because it provides a quicker filtering fix to poorly distilled spirit (i.e. - it's more of a filtering/masking activity rather than a true aging activity). Please note that I fully acknowledge a personal preference for true charred aging. So no criticsms intended along those lines.

Anyway, I hope you get that pantry cabinet completed without too much more bother. But I know how those projects go. I just spent the entire long weekend on a very simple replacement of some roman shades. It was the ""project from hell."" There was no way to get those things installed without drilling into the window frame ... other than building out some custom framing. So rather than simply driving in nine screws, I was measuring, sawing, sanding, painting, squaring ... then finally came the nine screws! Cursing I ended up using red oak ... was wondering if the scraps had any potential for toasting???

--JB"
Offline okie  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:57:27 AM(UTC)
okie

"I went another way. I bought the JD charcoal that has oak barrel pieces mixed with charcoal. I took some oak out and rinsed it off then placed it on the gas side of my grille. I fired it up and proceeded to toast them heavily even catching a few on fire. I had some single malt whisky I wanted to age and put several well toasted, most would say burned, in the jar and let it sit about 5 days doing an over night stay in the deep freeze. On the 6th day I could see the color I was wanting and decided to give it a taste.

It was a totally different whisky from the edgy stuff 6 days ago, one I'd be proud to call scotch, but not perfect. I strained it because I had friends coming over and it went down over ice and water.

I think the charcoal removes stuff. The oak flavors and time in oak changes that flavor according to the toast of the oak. In my case, it was charred one side or two and a lighter toast the rest.

Just my thing, thinking outside of the box."
Offline Bushy  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:53:02 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Never tried useing red oak before but have heard that it imparts a truly different flavor that most find ummmm repulsive. But may be worth trying a small chunk heavily charred in a half pint. Maybe.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:30:45 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

I had some time to toast two more sticks today. This time I did a light toast. They're supposed to produce a sweeter flavor ... we'll see ... I put one of them in 200 mL of neutral at about 50% abv.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]759[/ATTACH]

I'll try to snap some photos to show the progress & make a side-by-side photo with the medium-dark sticks I did earlier. Taste comparisons will of course have to come much later.

These were done in my oven at various temps ranging from 300 - 380 for about 4 hours. I still don't have a good feel for the oven and how to map temperatures from the chart to the settings on the oven. There is definitely an aroma in the house ... but I find the aroma from the light toast to be very pleasant.
light-toast.jpg (49kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Offline cayenneboy  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:14:02 PM(UTC)
cayenneboy

"I've had good luck ageing in used whiskey barrels. Woodinville Whiskey here in Washington sells 8 gallon chared oak barrles. The insides are also slotted for max exposure with the chared wood.

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/barrels/"
Offline okie  
#30 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:15:57 AM(UTC)
okie

That's a great tip, Thanks! I book marked that page.

Since Scotch is aged in Port wine barrels and that is the drink of choice in the Okie Castle, I was thinking why not soak some oak strips in port wine a month first, then into my jars of malt whisky? I'm going to try that and report back for us Scotch lovers. I also bought Sauterne that the Glenmorangie Nectar is aged in and I'm going to do the same with that.

If I used the old whiskey barrels, how do you treat them first? I would assume you would fill them with water and let them sit a while, but I would think maybe a sulfite solution to kill unwanted stuff too. Any ideas?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 01, 2013 6:21:22 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

I did a few experiments using partially charred oak sticks. I charred one light toast and one medium-plus stick and aged with some old neutral at about 46% abv. I used a neutral in hopes that I would be able to pick up the flavor due to the oak -- without being distracted by other flavors. Overall, the results were positive as there were signs that there was a sort-of "best of both worlds" quality.

I charred only one side of the stick as shown in the image below. The top stick is the medium-plus, the bottom is the light.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]839[/ATTACH]

The light toast had a sweetness and subtle light caramel flavor. The medium-plus was mostly vanilla with a hint of nutty. But both had a more "classic" whiskey flavor coming through. Previous experiments with uncharred sticks lacked that classic flavor. I didn't care much for the uncharred light toast as it seemed to be more of an oak flavor (which just doesn't suit my personal palate). As for the uncharred medium-plus ... well, it eventually developed an almost dank kind of flavor (I don't quite know how to describe it). The vanilla was still there, but the overall flavor wasn't what I wanted.

A nice side-effect of the charring was an improvement in color.

Anyway, just some food for thought. I liked the initial results so I decided to volunteer my latest wheat germ for the next round of experiments using partially charred sticks. If it doesn't work out, I'll be sure to follow-up and make some noise.

Regards,
--JB
partial-char-sm.jpg (51kb) downloaded 1 time(s).